a few hours ago I bought Start11 and I really like it so far. The main reason I bought it was because of the Windows 10 start menu as I used to love the tiles as well as the old Metro design language. Unfortunately with 1.0 I am unable to customize it exactly how I want. In Windows 10 I used edgeTile Creators as well as TileIconifier and they both did amazing.
Here are a few suggestions to make the Windows 10 start menu in Start11 perfect:
1. Ability to import whole images (png, etc.) as tiles like edgeTile. So you basically need to create 3 tiles in a program of your choice (Small, Medium and Wide tiles - Large tiles would mostly use the Medium ones) and that's basically it. I think this would be the best approach since there already exist tools (e.g. Photoshop, GIMP, etc.) that do the job just fine. Implementing a "tile creator" would just waste the developers resources and time and probably won't be perfect either. You can kinda do that with TileIconifier already, however Wide and Large tiles are not supported, which is a dealbreaker for me.
2. When pinning apps and thus Start11 is creating the Tile, the spacing/padding is "wrong" as per Microsoft's documentation App icons and logos - Windows apps | Microsoft Docs (scroll down). Icons are not perfectly centered when it comes to height, it uses the old Windows 8 (I believe?) standard where the app name itself counts as tile border and the actual icon will be placed a bit higher. Which is very infuriating as circles or squares look weird and the whole thing just looks off. Some people may prefer it but I would at least see an option to disable the padding because Windows 10 was not like this. Only way to prevent this right now is using TileIconifier but it only works with Small and Medium tiles.
3. Improve icon rendering or implement anti-aliasing. Apps (mostly the Microsoft Store ones) appear jagged and don't look good. I did the experimental registry thing to show the tiles of apps that support them and this nearly eliminated the issue.
4. Ability to change icons using PNG's or ICO's directly in Start11
5. An option to round the corners of the Start menu and everything else, EXCEPT the tiles.
6. More options to set a custom color tile. E.g. analyze an app's icon and suggest two contrast colors or even the ability to edit the icon's color itself (as I said, I loved the Metro design). Also a better color picker to use outside of the color picker window and the ability to save custom colors to the color list in Start11 not only the color picker that's being used right now.
7. Support for live tiles. Not really important but still cool to see, I never used them except for the Weather app which is why I want them back haha.
8. Export and import settings. I'm sure this is already possible by just copying the AppData folder of Start11 to another PC but I'm not sure which path it uses etc.
Implementing (some of) these changes would make it perfect! But for me the most important thing would be 1), 2) and 4) because as of right now, customization is very limited.
And a huge thanks to the developers and everyone involved for making this program! I am very thankful for it as it makes my life so much easier
Have a great day