UPDATE: With core system mechanics currently in the "overhaul" phase, I completely understand any reservation from SD to spend a lot of time preparing detailed responses to my questions. I've updated this post to include shorter, more directed questions under the original questions. I'd honestly be happy if someone even just answered one of them. If you're reading this and know the answer to even a single item/subitem, would you mind typing a quick reply with the question/answer? Thanks!
Hey guys - I know you're busy on the patch, but I was hoping that you could find the time to provide the answers to a few questions. For the most part, I try to figure this stuff out myself by scouring through the core XML files, but when it comes to parameter names that aren't currently used, we're just stabbing in the dark. I'd even appreciate a partial response if some of the items are "under development."
Ideally, I'd love to see a full schema for the XML elements - but I realize that you probably don't want to provide that while you're still in full scale patch mode. My questions are just the "highlight reel" of what I'm most limited by right now in my own modding efforts.
1. <Calculate />
* I have a tutorial on what we know about this HERE.
- What are the valid values for "ValueOwner"?
- What properties are available for each "ValueOwner" - could you essentially provide a list of the public properties for different ValueOwner classes (or tell us where we can look to figure it out)
- Are there other "Calculate" type elements like If, Max, Min, IsEqual, Pow, or the like?
- Is there any type of conditional branching support?
- How can I use the player's current (Gildar/Metal/Wargs/other resource) with Calculate?
ANSWER (by Frogboy): In v1.1 spells are going to support using global resources and mana will become a global resource. He further clarified that this would include player-defined global resources as well.
- How can I use a custom global resource with Calculate?
- (Heavenfall) Is it possible to allow us to create more than one prop per spell in tactical battles from CreateWorldProp?
2. <GameModifier />
- What are the correct combinations for ModType x Attribute x (StrVal, Value, Duration, TerrainType, etc)?
- Is there a way to apply effects to units that start/end their turn in or move into a map location?
3. Is there a way to "attatch" a visual effect to a Unit and not to a tile when casting a spell?
- Can you make this effect only last until the spell duration is over?
- Can you make it until an indefinite spell is cancelled?
4. <SpellDef />
* I have a tutorial with comments on creating a spell HERE.
- What are the properties that can be set?
- Is there a way to apply a (not linked to their hands) spell effect to the spell caster when the spell hits the target?
- Can we make a spell cost the caster hit points or other stats besides Essence?
- Can we make a spell cost Gildar or other global resources?
5. Is it possible to give the user the option of multiple improvement types on a single resource tile? (Like build either Building X or Building Y on selected Old Growth Forest tile?)
ANSWERED (by Frogboy): Yes. Take a look at CoreWorldResources.xml and you will see that they define a type in there. Then look for say Imperial Farm in the EmpireUnlimitedImprovements.xml. In it, it looks for <SupportedResourceType>. You can have multiple improvements that make use of that resource.
6. (Heavenfall) Is it possible to let the game search through sub-folders in the mod folders when searching for xml files? Or is there any other way to put our mods in folders (beyond the basic ones) to prevent our files all ending up in the same place?
For example, sinusgamma's new city tileset and raceconfig for a nordic kingdom has over 100 files in it. On its own, this is not a huge problem. But if I want to add 10 more races, and then delete one race, it gets very difficult.
Thanks in advance,