So, since I finally did get TotA working I had a mini-marathon of empire-building this past week.
I can say, it's been quite the adventure.
Game 1: Big Mistake
So, eager to jump into the game I quickly start one up on a Large map and begin playing. After a couple of hours and 10 colonies later I find the Terran Alliance is MASSIVE. Unbelieveably so. And they don't like me. At this point they have to control over 1/2 the galaxy and it all decends upon my humble Septimi Empire.
Needless to say, it didn't go well. Most of my ships were unable to harm the Terrans at all. The ones that could were few and far between. After an half-hour of getting my ass handed to me in most every battle I gave up and vowed to eliminate the Terrans in every game I ever play of Gal Civ 2.
So, what happened was two things:
1. It seems I accidentally set the Terrans to Intelligent and all the others to Sub-Normal. I thought they were pretty stupid, but didn't realize it till too late.
2. I played Evil and didn't have the military to back it up, though I was swimming in the cash and my morale was high.
Game 2: Good Guys Always Win
The day after Game 1 I start Game 2, fixing the settins so they are all Intelligent, and got my ass moving. I capture a quick 20 colonies and even some ascension crystals. I play the Evil warlord again but this time I had some guns for my warlordness. Then I see the poor, defenseless Terrans.
"Not so tough now, huh!?" I think to myself, preparing Transports for depature. Once my military is ready I storm the Terrans, blasting away thier defenseless ships and tearing into their Empire.
In a couple years the Terrans are all but decimated.
At this point I'm feeling good. I payed the Terrans back for Game 1, I have two Allies, being the Drengin and Yor, and my military is decent. The only issues is that I neglected my morale and economy.
The Torians, not at all happy with my war with the Terrans, decide I'm too evil to live, and they invade. The Iconians, and Septima(Custom Race acting like Altarians) join in.
The Torians, in this game, are much like the Terrans, just not obscenely dominant.
But I still get my ass kicked. If I'm not being invaded or blown up I'm making peace/getting attacked again. I lose most of my outer colonies and the rest of my fine military is left floating in space.
So, I give in and surrender to my Septima brothers, putting them on even footing with the Torians.
Reflecting, I realize my key mistakes.
1. I neglected my economy and morale, costing me.
2. I didn't make effective use of my Super Manipulator ability.
3. Apparently, I don't work well using the Federalist party, and decided to use the War Party Party from here on out.
4. I was too evil, especially with races like the Torians, Terrans, and Septima(Altarian Personality) around.
5. My allies sucked and were decimated not long after the War.
Game 3: Woe to All
Easily the most epic game of Gal Civ 2 I've ever had. I don't know what it is about Twilight, but I can't stop playing.
Anyway, details on Game 3 later. Some general tips and tricks for playing the Korath tech tree and not getting owned in the face while doing so would be greatly appreciated. Hence why it's in the Strategies board. I'm just giving a vague outline and filling in details when asked.