It's essentially a broken promise. It was meant to be one of the first things fixed coming out of the beta, but has just been continually pushed back and now will never be part of the base game. Given it has been pushed back so far hopefully that will mean we'll actually get something meaningful. Also I hope that they take the opportunity to look at the combat system as a whole. It needs significant work as well.
I completely agree, They originally stated this would be completed post release, they just ran out of time to get it in the base game as they weren't happy with the base model they had in place during mid beta. There are a lot of things that have been left as quick band-aides and to be done later. Does this mean it's broken or not play-able? No. Personally there are many things, myself that frustrate me about how the game works or why things aren't done the way I'd like but, long story short it's not my game I'm just a customer. I have enjoyed the game and have over 1000 hours played, Stardock does listen even if somethings are slow in the coming.
This is what I personally would like changed or updated in this order.
- Great Work from Stardock (nothing new just expecting the norm )
- Bugs (many, many general bugs still present in the game, most are little annoyances and, may take a little time but, let's take care of them.)
- Diplomacy (Why does the AI still not value multiple of any trade resource? Why is the AI giving me 3000 credits for a free trade agreement when they will only see 1000 credit boost over the next 50 turns?)
- Better Map Scaling by number of habitable planets (tech rate, ideology ect...)
- Handling of war - Why don't they try to stop my galactic rule when I start to pull away?
- Creating Alliances with each other.
- Trade with each other.
- Multiplayer Love - More options better flow ect... Mind you I know doesn't affect many players but, this may be part of the reason.
- Invasion Screen/system.
- DLC - More Core Factions ect...
What I do Not want to see and what frustrates me until most of the above are hit.
- More Combat viewer gloss work.
- More adjusting to map generator (number of planets ect...)
- More adjusting to game mechanics (cost of items, number limitations ect...)
- Multiple DLC's/Expansions prior to most of the above being touched or hit.