For photographers, bloggers and graphics folks good news. This is a great way to compress images up to 90% and reclaim some space on your disk.
When you compress images you change the quality. Sad fact of life. You even use types of storage which keep quality yet use large file types to prevent loss. This costs you space and therefore, as you produce more, you have to buy more storage and maintain it. It’s available for Windows OS only, and has a user friendly interface.
“Features of Caesium Image Compressing Tool
- It supports a wide range of file format and can compress image files saved in any file format such as JPG, PNG, JPEG, WMF or BMP. After compressing it saves the images in BMP, PNG and JPG.
- Caesium allows compressing the images in bulk. You can set the compression level, image size and quality changes for every picture individually or can also apply it to bulk.
- Caesium has a preview mode where you can check the compression results before saving them. You can check all the details of the compressed picture with zoom before you save them to final folder.
- Drag and drop feature makes it ever simpler and handy tool for compressing images.” - http://caesium.sourceforge.net/
It comes in its regular form, and as a portable app. There are also no hidden costs in its use.
The dev even provides its source code. He asks only a donation if you can, to help him improve the software.
I can find no minuses with this software.
The download is 15.2 Mb and you can choose one of two mirror sites (one Sourceforge). It requires 60.2 Mb disk space and is an x86 program.
As always, before installing ANYTHING on your computer:
1. Do your own research about the software.
2. Determine your need.
3. Create a restore point in case anything goes wrong during the installation.
4. If you haven’t done a backup within the past week, do one. It’s painless and saves quite a bit of regret.
5. Always choose "Custom" or "Advanced" installation if offered. That will allow you to view whether the software comes in a wrapper with toolbars, home page and search engine switchers or other software/Adware you might not want.