The Illearth War
A mod based on the work by Stephen R. Donaldson (The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant)
The idea is to use the setting of the second book of the first Chronicles that centers on the big war between Lord Foul and the Lords of the Land and recreate it in FE. When finished, it should be a special scenario, with map and units, monsters etc. created specifically for IEW.
You will notice that neither Thomas Covenant nor Lord Foul lead the factions - that's deliberate since a) for Covenant it wouldn't fit the theme and for Foul he would other be completely OP which is pointless and besides he doesn't really leave his creche. But both of them make an appearance.
Some heroes and abilities could be OP which is intentional (especially Foul's).
Work done so far:
- Two races (factions): Cursed and Revelstone. Cursed represent Lord Foul's minions and is led by Fleshharrower, a Giant-Raver. Revelstone faction is led by High Lord Elena
- Several heroes for both factions: mainly Lords for Revelstone, as well as Thomas Covenant and Hile Troy. Kinslaughterer, Fleshaharrower's brother for Cursed
- Several unique abilities for opposing factions
- Bloodguard as summonable guardians for the Lords
- Special units for Foul's faction, unlockable by tech (Stonewarped and Trained Cavewights)
- Special improvements for factions: ability to recruit some Ur-Viles and Cavewights from their lairs for Cursed, additional Bloodguard for Revelstone
- A few special spells for Revelstone, unlockable by hero levels
- Lord Foul as an improvement buildable in one city (probably capital)
Planned and under construction :
- Wildlands with Caerroil Wildwood as guardian (Wildland tip: https://forums.elementalgame.com/438088)
- Map (big problems with Map editor and inability to save the map consistently)
- More units, spells and abilities for each faction
- More heroes and traits
- Unique level-up options for heroes
- More items, spells and lore
- Tweak Faction traits, maybe add some more
- Unique Illearth quests
- Wildlands to represent Andelain
- Wildlands for Gravin Threndor (so far exist as lair with Drool Rockworm) - yes I realize he's not in Illearth War but he's a cool character so I took some liberty there
- Icons for many things, graphical and cosmetic stuff (example: https://forums.elementalgame.com/438356)
- Race (faction)-specific buildings
- Unique Techtrees
Far future (for now not realistical and hard to do, for me at least):
- new particles
- new animations
- new skins, models, for example for Ur-Viles and Cavewights, Foul, Caerroil Wildwood, Fire Lions...
Problems and questions:
- Map editor is driving me crazy, or at least it did when I tried to make a map (one of the first things I did). When saved, most of the changes are lost and the map was saved as "tiny" although I used "large".
- Wildlands - I have no idea if what I'm doing is right - basically, I managed to create a Wildlands stamp so now I have to add it to the map. Time will tell if that works.
- Is it possible to remove an item from the unit when that unit receives an injury? And then add that item to some other unit?
- Is it possible to add a trait to a unit when it levels up? Something like a prereq in unit design that will unlock with unit level-up? (I think this is possible but just to doublecheck before I test it).
- Is it possible to have a trait for unit design unlocking with tech (so tech prereq)? The trait should be invisible before the tech is researched of course.
I would value any help resolving the problems if someone dealt with something like that before.
If anyone wants to contribute to the mod, use it or parts of it in any way, you're very welcome to do it. I would appreciate any input, idea and feedback on the work so far and for the future of the mod. If I manage to get at least one more person on board (there must be some Donaldson and Covenant fans with mod knowledge out there I'd be happy.
Also, I'd like to thank Heavenfall for answering my questions about modding, as well as providing a great mod to "steal from" when it comes to ideas and implementation .
A thanks to all the other modders out there for their work as well - just looking through it helps in many ways.