How it happened (Yes I verified I LOADED the map and did not have RANDOM selected from the start of the game):
1. Started a new game, random map, played about 2 turns and thought, I wonder what the map editor was like.
2. Exit to main menu, open map editor.
3. Create random, balanced, medium map, toyed around with it, added some rivers, fillied in some of the lakes because it randomly made the map like a lake filled maze.
4. Saved map, started a new game, selected the new map. Started in the middle of the ocean, couldn't do anything.
5. Started it again, started playing the map. Got about 50% uncovered and it looked nothing like the map I had created.
6. Started it a 3rd time, the map was different again than the first one.
7. Exited out of the game completely, reloaded the game and tried that map and it worked perfectly after that.