Stardock

Fences 3 Beta Thread

By on September 25, 2015 2:11:00 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Island Dog

Join Date 06/2003
+756

The Fences 3 beta is available to Object Desktop members, and current members can download the beta from your Stardock account.

Changelog:

• Windows 10 compatibility
  • High DPI support
  • New Feature: Translucency behind Fences (Windows 10 only)

During the beta, we'll be updating this post with additional release notes when updates are available.

If you have Fences 3 feedback or bug reports to share, please use this thread only so we can keep track of them in one place.

Beta 2 Update (2/2/16)

Changelog:

• Roll-up Fences
  • Navigate Folder Portals

Clean Desktop
Clean Desktop

Folder Portal Navigation
Folder Poral Navigation

Folder Portal
Folder Portal

Rolled Down Fence
Rolled Down Fence

83 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 29, 2015 3:13:16 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Please make it available also for the other Fences users

September 29, 2015 4:58:08 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

For me it would too be nice to test the beta under Windows 10, as I'm sometimes experiencing crashes with version 2.13

October 1, 2015 2:07:14 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

i just tried fences 3. but it still makes my startup slow in windows 10 

October 1, 2015 2:21:23 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Seems to have a conflict with the latest deskscapes. Had them both working for awhile but now deskscapes crashes the latest fences beta.

Win 10 - Radeon 5450

October 2, 2015 9:13:11 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting JoDa,

Seems to have a conflict with the latest deskscapes. Had them both working for awhile but now deskscapes crashes the latest fences beta.

Win 10 - Radeon 5450

Sorry to hear you're experiencing this problem. Can you download and run the tool below:

http://sd.stardock.com/Support/supportToolTest/SDSupportTool.exe 

Then attach the .zip that's created and send it in with a ticket to support:

http://esupport.stardock.com/index.php?/Tickets/Submit 

October 3, 2015 7:28:02 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Hi,

So I was on Fences v2.13 and had very funny problems under windows 10, reported it and submitted data as requested on a support ticket.

However, I decided I really needed Fences back working so upgraded to Object Desktop, downloaded Fences 2.90 (guess this is V3) and installed. It doesn't crash anymore but it takes ages to do anything, like double click on an icon, before it loads & some times I have to double click twice. I also have Directory Opus installed so that when I double click on the screen I get an explorer window, so I've disabled Fences screen double click. This always worked in the past, but now Directly Opus takes ages to come up - I know this is not a Directory Opus problem because if I stop Fences, Directory Opus response immediately, so clearly Fences is getting to the act some how, slowing things down and then letting DoPus get on with what it needs to do.

Please help.

Regards

Dave

October 3, 2015 8:19:29 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Well, I spoke too soon.....still crashing as it did under 2.13.......

When it crashes Fences disappears, but then when you right click on the desktop, after a short while, everything comes back.....

Beta V3 is NOT yet compatible with Windows 10......

October 3, 2015 11:10:48 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

agree with that

October 20, 2015 5:07:46 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Fences 2.90 works nicely for me, but the translucency option (on Windows 10.0 10240) doesn't update with automatically changing background. I'm using a theme file with changing backgrounds from microsoft.com

October 20, 2015 8:26:02 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting mlehmk,

Fences 2.90 works nicely for me, but the translucency option (on Windows 10.0 10240) doesn't update with automatically changing background. I'm using a theme file with changing backgrounds from microsoft.com

Are you using Microsofts personalization options or something else?

October 28, 2015 3:12:47 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Hello, I see that its possible to lock fences and lock the desktop (via Kiosk mode)   -is it possible to merge these features together so that they lock/unlock fences individually -along with the with the icons inside them ?

October 29, 2015 11:21:48 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting The_Gear,

Are you using Microsofts personalization options or something else?

I just installed the theme from http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/themes although I installed a Windows 10 in a virtual machine to try to reproduce this issue, but there it just works correctly. So, I'm sorry I cannot find a way to reproduce this issue.

November 2, 2015 11:14:47 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Your comment that I can download the beta from my account is not true.  I can only download Fences 2.13 which does not work.  Could you please provide me with a link?  I've been awaiting this beta form months. 

November 2, 2015 11:20:31 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting sujennings,
Your comment that I can download the beta from my account is not true.  I can only download Fences 2.13 which does not work.  Could you please provide me with a link?  I've been awaiting this beta form months. 

The Fences 3 beta is available to Object Desktop members, and current members can download the beta from your Stardock account.

Do you have an active Object Desktop subscription? If so, you should fire off an email to support.

November 3, 2015 2:59:45 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

(sorry for my bad English: I'm using google translator from Italian)

I must say I am very disappointed by the behavior of Stardock: I have bought with confidence Fences and I hoped there would be serious by the company: many of your customers are upgrading to Windows 10, many have problems with version 2.13, and demand the right to test the beta version.

The alternative? Without any assistance, we can only uninstall Fences and not buy more of your products.

I do not think that, in this case, Stardock will be damaged if it would make public the beta version to those who require it: in fact, we all become beta tester (like Windows Insider?), A great free resource for the company, or not?

November 4, 2015 6:59:52 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

No I do not use Object Desktop.   I only like two of the products offered:  Fences and Start 10. So purchasing the Object Desktop is a waste of money.    

I agree with ScaccoMatto.  This is shabby behavior.  Fences 2.13 no longer work on my machine.  I find out I have a potential solution but I need to purchase more software to have the privilege to try it.  No thank you!        

November 4, 2015 7:43:50 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting sujennings,

No I do not use Object Desktop.   I only like two of the products offered:  Fences and Start 10. So purchasing the Object Desktop is a waste of money.    

I agree with ScaccoMatto.  This is shabby behavior.  Fences 2.13 no longer work on my machine.  I find out I have a potential solution but I need to purchase more software to have the privilege to try it.  No thank you!        

Fences 2.13 should work just fine on Windows 10.  If you have problems please contact support@stardock.com so they can assist you.

The beta of Fences 3 is reserved for ObjectDesktop customers because that is one of the benefits of owning that package.  Once released the usual 30 day trial will be available for you to try it out to see if you like the new features.

November 4, 2015 9:10:44 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting sujennings,

You're able to contact us, nobody is saying you must purchase Object Desktop to get your Fences fixed.

November 4, 2015 9:17:04 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I mentioned on another thread that Fences 2.13 is working without issue on my machines [plural] with Win 10 ...

November 5, 2015 8:53:59 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I opened a problem in September.  In that problem I stated that I have two fences licenses:  on one system it works and on another it does not.   I've found a solution: I have uninstalled the product.   Regards, 

November 16, 2015 1:06:26 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

How is this new version 3 beta any different from v2.13, which works just fine on Windows 10?  And why is the beta only available to current OD subscribers, and not those of us who already own Fences 2.x as a standalone product?  

Soliciting 'beta' testing from an audience of users who HAVEN'T owned the previous version seems foolhardy, and expecting us to pay for a whole new subscription for one or two questionably useful products is just bad customer relations.  

Unless I'm missing something?  I can't find anywhere that will let me download the beta trial. 

November 16, 2015 7:22:59 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The members who have ODNT subscriptions are Beta testers. They are the ones who help iron out the bugs in the standalone versions so that you and others who purchase these programs can use them practically worry free. They do the hard work so you don't have to.

My two cents 

November 22, 2015 7:03:24 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I have a problem with fences 2.90.  After windows has loaded, the desktop and taskbar will be displayed, except for the fences and folder portals, and no icon is displayed.  I have to right-click the mouse in order for the fences to appear.  The "Configure Fences" entry in the context menu will appear after the right-click.

This is my setup:

Windows TH2 10.0.10586

Fences 2.90

Deskscapes 8.50

This happened after upgrading my motherboard to an asus maximus hero 8.

Thanks!

December 11, 2015 5:59:30 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I have also been having problems with Fences 2.13.

Would greatly appreciate the opportunity to try beta 3 without paying another $50 for another subscription to have Fences working correctly.

How can i update to the 3.0 without paying $50?

I purchased Fences i should be able to run it and use it without issues. 3.0 should help.

Who can i contact for Fences 3.0 beta? please and thank you.

December 11, 2015 6:07:04 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

You can't get the beta without being an ObjectDesktop user. Unless there is an exception for Fences 2X users.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001000   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+