Stardock

Windows 10 Support?

By on July 27, 2015 7:44:00 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

southernrex

Join Date 03/2014
+1

Hi, before I spend money renewing DeskScapes and WindowsBlinds, I wanted to make sure they will be compatible with Windows 10. I know the retail release of RTM (to non-insiders) hasn't happened yet, but its only a few days away. I love these programs, just don't want to spend money if support is going to be lost.

45 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 28, 2015 5:07:00 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

on windows8 it took round about 6 months for Stardock to make Windowblinds work, i would say just wait until a working version is available if you already upgraded and extend your subscription once a working version for windows10 is released otherwise you might end up loosing half of your subscription time.

July 28, 2015 7:47:29 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Stardock need a working version of Win 10 first before they can upgrade their software. Patience my friend.

July 28, 2015 8:27:56 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

DeskScapes should work on Windows 10.

I'll have a list of what's compatible coming up soon.

July 29, 2015 12:51:26 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Island Dog,

DeskScapes should work on Windows 10.

I'll have a list of what's compatible coming up soon.

Awesome, can't wait to hear.

Also, yes I can confirm what you said. Deskscapes worked beautifully on Windows 10 Professional 64-bit.

Because of Microsoft's crap, I had to find a separate MPEG-2 encoder, but that took all of 30 seconds.

Can't wait for the blinds support. WIN10 looks nice, because it's new... but I'll tire quickly and want to make my desktop unique again.

July 29, 2015 2:23:10 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
July 29, 2015 6:06:41 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I've come back to report that DeskScapes is actually really buggy with Windows 10.

The picture is constantly crashing/freezing, especially after using a full screen program. It then does not let me change the background at all, until I restart the program multiple times. Sometimes it opens up the background in a media player (???????) when I click "set as my background."

July 29, 2015 6:15:39 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

A media player window opening indicates you have less capable (AKA rubbish) video codecs which do not support windowless mode.

Regarding pausing, are you using the new Task View feature in Windows 10 as I believe that will cause Deskscapes to disable itself as it believes the wallpaper has been changed.

July 29, 2015 7:35:36 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

What is a good video codec? Also, I'll have to look into this Task View thing. Thanks for the heads up, I'll return.

July 29, 2015 10:25:17 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
July 30, 2015 12:45:49 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Better question would be what codec is needed for Deskscapes to support the most common dreams ?
As far as i know some of these codecs are common MPEG2,.AVI,WMV   dunno if MPEG4 is also needed.

Neil can probably give more info about it.

Why do i say this?
Because codec packs can potentially destabilize your system, they dont have to but there is a chance.
That is why i recommend to just get what you need to actually run the dream.

July 30, 2015 10:32:16 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

That codec pack made no difference in my problems. :/ It freezes still after a game, and does the little window mode thing too.

What was the task view thing you mentioned? I can't find it in any settings.

July 31, 2015 12:08:07 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

http://codecguide.com/is the official site for the k-lite you need to run the older installer first then get the update from main page.

July 31, 2015 11:31:05 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I don't think they should list Deskscapes as being compatible with Windows 10 just yet, people are popping up left and right with problems.

July 31, 2015 5:21:34 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

well for the most part it is.the only thing i see that breaks it is the task viewer could be a problem if someone uses that i guess.odd this task viewer and windows 8 taskview doesnt seem like much difference but an icon tab you can click now.unsure why this breaks it but as far as i can tell thats the only thing.

im sure they have plans to revamp the products.they just gave us an idea of what to use now while we wait.still...

July 31, 2015 6:22:08 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting southernrex,

I don't think they should list Deskscapes as being compatible with Windows 10 just yet, people are popping up left and right with problems.

In fact, while installing the so-called "upgraded" OS, it told me the ONLY installed program I had that was NOT compatible was Deskscapes. Go figger.....Not to worry,........ I've already dumped the POS and gone back to Win7.

July 31, 2015 10:31:18 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

u do know that Win7 is already passed Normal support and is in extended support with EOL not too far behind...

ever one.. I mean every one will have to face win10 sooner or later... The only solution here is StarDOCK HAS TO ether UPDATE or Dev the NEXT version of Deskscape for win10. I don't care if I have to pay for a upgrade .. I just want a full functional Desk Scape  for Win10 one way or another...

July 31, 2015 11:05:48 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Typical issues with Deskscapes are caused by Microsoft no longer including appropriate Codecs with their OS since Windows 8 and beyond, necessitating the end user locating and downloading appropriate ones personally.

They are freely available for various image formats for personal use, however commercial/volume licences are prohibitive to the point of making such software as Deskscapes commercially unaffordable and are thus non-viable to include.

Also, the 'EOL' of Windows 7 is Jan 14 2020 .... about 5 years away...

August 1, 2015 8:31:55 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

The thing is, I had the freezing, background locking up problem before I had to get the codecs (the dream that wasn't MPEG-2 based or whatever.) It happens everytime I play a fullscreen game.

August 1, 2015 9:28:45 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Windows10 installed here 2 days ago and everything is working.  Looks like Microsoft got it right this time.

August 9, 2015 2:09:52 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

8.20 works on Win 10 but 8.21 does not and you have to install 8.20 in Win 8 compatibilty mode as well.

August 9, 2015 9:28:38 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

could u pass that over? I only have the lastest setup file

August 10, 2015 8:59:13 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting wolfsilverlone,

could u pass that over? I only have the lastest setup file

Its only there for 48 hours then gets deleted. You have to install in Win 8 compatibility mode as well otherwise it will fail on Win 10.

Link deleted.  It's not permissible to distribute Stardock's files without consent. - Admin.

August 11, 2015 12:23:25 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

. whats this about compatibility mode for deskscapes.i had to do no such thing nor did windows 10 tell me deskscapes wasnt compatiable.

this is weird if its doing that to some.i installed normal from a fresh windows 10 pro . perhaprs it gets weirded out if you had it on 8 and upgraded and got confused in registry i have no clue.but on 10 it installs without a hitch.i play alot of full screen games and it works fine,only freezes on task view.i dont think its entirely deskscapes but some dream files might not be able to be handled.i havent seen this case yet but i usually only stick with a few bg choices.i dont usually keep dreams i wont use ona regular basis.

August 11, 2015 12:07:35 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Are you using the kind of dreams that require external codecs? I did a fresh install as well, and run into this problem quite a bit.

August 12, 2015 12:29:04 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

im unsure i think my dreams called alien dream

im assuming the site descriptions state if they use other codecs but very few including myself concern ourselves about reading that.i just take a dream from the site and go with it.

correction its called alien worlds

http://www.wincustomize.com/explore/dream/6745/

works fine as long as you dont use task view.guess people for now will just have to get used to the ones that work,until they update it.im sure theres alot that work and alot that dont.just gotta play with it a bit.so far so good tho

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000203   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+