Stardock

Windows 10 Support?

By on July 27, 2015 7:44:00 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

southernrex

Join Date 03/2014
+1

Hi, before I spend money renewing DeskScapes and WindowsBlinds, I wanted to make sure they will be compatible with Windows 10. I know the retail release of RTM (to non-insiders) hasn't happened yet, but its only a few days away. I love these programs, just don't want to spend money if support is going to be lost.

45 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 12, 2015 8:06:24 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Neil Banfield,

A media player window opening indicates you have less capable (AKA rubbish) video codecs which do not support windowless mode.

LAVfilters are pretty well regarded and don't have any problems with any other software on Windows 10, nor did they have problems with Deskscapes prior to Windows 10 up until the first build I noted in that other thread.  Seems like a bit of a stretch to be blaming them.

August 12, 2015 9:13:45 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting tzuyd,

Quoting Neil Banfield,

A media player window opening indicates you have less capable (AKA rubbish) video codecs which do not support windowless mode.

LAVfilters are pretty well regarded and don't have any problems with any other software on Windows 10, nor did they have problems with Deskscapes prior to Windows 10 up until the first build I noted in that other thread.  Seems like a bit of a stretch to be blaming them.

I am sorry but that is the case.  In the event that a codec fails to support windowless mode it would cause an active movie window to appear as is the case here.

We recommend the use of WMV for videos as that is natively supported in the OS.

August 12, 2015 6:55:11 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Interesting comments on Deskscapes, I upgraded to Win 10 shortly after release, seamless with no problems, I had to upgrade my anti virus, but had few issues.

Obviously windowblinds 8 was not compatible, so I disabled it. Deskscapes has worked perfectly for me since the upgrade from 8.1, solid on both monitors, whether dream or wall, some dreams do not work, namely those with an mpeg2 codec, which didn't come with 8.1 anyway, maybe I am just lucky with this, I have also had no problem with Iconpackager which I used within hours of the upgrade.

August 13, 2015 1:44:08 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Correction, I had a play around and like others found that the problem lies with task view, clicking on this changes the view on both desktops to desktop 1 and freezes deskscapes, and requiring a restart. When not using this feature both desktops are apparently stable whether dream or wall, I get the impression that task view considers deskscapes to be an open task and tries to show it.

Aside from this after lasts nights update, install stayed on 30% for almost 15 minutes before restarting, worrying times ahead.

August 13, 2015 2:32:53 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

task views one of the main problems.strangely enough it also went to activex mode after adding start10 going into a fullscreen game then exiting the full screen game.

ive seen issues more with task view but i havent used task view in awhile just went back to start 10 and this happened.reassociating your drivers auto browse seem to correct the freezes as well.its just a glitch well have to get used to.unsure if start 10 is a problem as well but like i said it was working fine without task view running hidden object games before i included start10.i got the latest k-lite and hopefully that fixes most codec problems and glitches but the task view still has a bug regardless

i hope the stardock crew reads this.it may help them further in their updates.

god speed guys,hope all is well.i cant imagine what loopholes you may already be trying to go through just to get things stable again

ps i tried a wmv and the results are the same.i think the issue is much higher than a simple codec dilema

August 14, 2015 6:27:34 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

of course its more then simple codecs.. My multi monitor setup with 1 video spammed over all the monitors dose not work at all... won't even load into a  framed video ... it just locks up when trying to load...

this exact setup will not work under win10 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0_w59bdt5Q

August 15, 2015 6:28:16 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Something that works for me:

Disable taskview (right-click taskbar)

Inside deskscapes:settings>advanced>un-check: pauze when maximized.

Also uncheck pauze when on battery...

Taskview will crash deskscapes...

Pauze (maximized) will crash deskscapes...

August 16, 2015 12:08:40 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Did a clean install of Windows 10 today. Upon installing Object Desktop Manager I see that Deskscapes 8 is greyed out as a "Not Compatible" program. Can/should this be overridden or is there an update in the works to fix/verify compatibility. Pretty much this program and Object Dock are the only software I use these days. I'd hope they keep getting support.

August 16, 2015 12:28:00 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

If it's showing as 'not compatible' then definitely leave it for the moment....

August 16, 2015 12:53:30 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

ya if you have deskscapes as a seperate install it doesnt show grayed out lol

im going to try wolfs suggestion for the time being.it would make sense that hiding task view and unchecking everything under advanced might be better for the time being

if your deskscapes froze though instead of reloading your gfx card drivers you can also try this.

bring up search screen and type in deskscapes 8 (assuming the freeze got rid of your right clicker(

select a background that you werent using hit apply.

then select the bg you were using and hit apply.it should rekick it without having to reboot or whatnot

August 16, 2015 4:57:27 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Stardock should fix all the deskscapes bug problems on Windows 10 and I suggest to rebrand it to DeskScapes 10
I'll gladly buy a Windows 10 working version of my favorite Stardock software.

August 16, 2015 2:58:24 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Jafo,

If it's showing as 'not compatible' then definitely leave it for the moment....

Will do. I will also add that Deskscapes 8 seems to play rather badly with Nvidia Gsync all of a sudden with Windows 10. I issued a bug report with Nvidia when I found that use of Windows Game DVR with fullscreen games, with Gsync on caused my system to freeze when quitting games. At the time Deskscapes was also installed. I shut off Gsync instead at the time. This time around with Deskscapes left off a clean system, Gsync and DVR work just fine. I also recall hearing that Gsync works in some way by taking control of the DWM refresh rate. And if i'm not mistaken Deskscapes does some magic with DWM to make video wallpapers work. I'm not familiar with all the technical details but it seems like Microsoft did something in Windows 10 to disrupt what must have been a very delicate balancing act to get all this stuff to work, or just happen to work, before. Hoping SD can make the necessary updates soon.

August 16, 2015 9:35:54 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

amen if i have to rebuy for a full working Win10 version I will.. especially if it included a special upgrade price

August 22, 2015 6:13:13 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

im pretty sure itll be a free upgrade as a object desktop subscriber.they are rebuilding in mere days now it seems.quite a few have already been remade.windowblinds 10 and deskscapes 10 will be out eventually and like always im sure its part of the package as it always has been

since those were much bigger programs than many of the addons i might add could be why they are getting the smaller addons ready first

just a thought but it makes sense those would take longer

August 26, 2015 10:44:06 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Same here.

It ran well for about a week then : BAM! - whole system crashed. Reloaded Windows 10 with the warning that I can Never go back to 7. We'll see.  

Can't get it to work any longer.

Someone suggested downloading a MPEG-2 program but even FFDSHOW(sp?) doesn't do it and It's the Gold Standard of codecs ...

REALLY looking forward to Stardock's reaction.

Deskscapes was my "in" to the whole Stardock Library.

August 26, 2015 11:35:04 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

As you lose the Win 8 licence when upgrading to Win 10 I hope Stardock make allowances for that in the price for Deskscapes 10.Deskscapes 8 is not going to work for those of use who bought it unless we buy another licence for Win 8!

August 26, 2015 11:39:46 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting AWPC,

As you lose the Win 8 licence when upgrading to Win 10 I hope Stardock make allowances for that in the price for Deskscapes 10.Deskscapes 8 is not going to work for those of use who bought it unless we buy another licence for Win 8!

You don't lose your license when you upgrade.

August 26, 2015 11:50:26 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Island Dog,

Quoting AWPC,

You don't lose your license when you upgrade.

Correct. The one month rollback period is with respect to the actual backed up files on your PC getting deleted after a month which makes an in place rollback no longer possible. You are free to use your Windows 8 key to go back via a clean install at any time. However, it will likely deactivate Windows 10 should you ever use that Win 7/8/8.1 key on a different system while the Windows 10 system is active. The old key is tied to a hardware profile which is what lets you do clean install and have it activate without an actual key.

November 6, 2015 10:44:01 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Neil Banfield,

Quoting tzuyd,

I am sorry but that is the case.  In the event that a codec fails to support windowless mode it would cause an active movie window to appear as is the case here.

We recommend the use of WMV for videos as that is natively supported in the OS.

So I suppose the fact that this issue has magically disappeared after updating to Deskscapes 8.50 is just coincidence

November 6, 2015 11:13:03 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting xDeVsFaN1830x,

However, it will likely deactivate Windows 10 should you ever use that Win 7/8/8.1 key on a different system while the Windows 10 system is active.

Nope.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000704   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+