Stardock

WindowBlinds and Windows 10

By on October 2, 2014 2:08:12 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Mark Phelps

Join Date 01/2003
+9

Am very pleased to report that WindowBlinds works great with the Windows 10 Tech Preview.

Upgraded from Win8.1, rebooted, and WindowBlinds works fine -- no problems. 

I did have to uninstall both Start8 and ModernMix, but I expected it would come to that (in the short run)

UPDATE: Please NOTE: Windowsblinds does NOT work with the Released version of Win10!  As mentioned in numerous threads, if you force the install of Windowblinds on Win 10 now, you will have problems as a result.

66 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 2, 2014 2:13:27 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Why did you have to uninstall Start8?

October 2, 2014 2:20:38 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'm sure he didn't have the new version.  Would be my guess. 

October 2, 2014 2:58:19 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
October 10, 2014 1:59:48 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Why did you have to uninstall Start8?

It conflicted with the default start button operation.  Once I uninstalled Start8 and rebooted, I got the default "new" Start Menu and it works OK.

October 10, 2014 2:00:53 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,

I'm sure he didn't have the new version.  Would be my guess. 

I was using v1.45.  Since then, v1.46 Beta has come out, and while I do use that on my Win8.1 install, I have not tried it on my Win10 install.

October 10, 2014 3:57:22 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'm using the Win 10 Preview and Windowblinds 8 is working great. I'm also using the latest Start8 and everything is magnificent , and the real clincher here for me is that Iconpackager is also working great !!   All in all , I'm very happy and excited with things so far.         -- Ace --

October 10, 2014 6:54:08 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Mark Phelps,

I was using v1.45. Since then, v1.46 Beta has come out, and while I do use that on my Win8.1 install, I have not tried it on my Win10 install.

When a new OS comes along....and there's a new update to such critters as Start8 it's a fair bet it's not just coincidence...

December 8, 2014 9:51:20 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Installed successfully on a clean install of win10 build 9888, theme applied but if you log out/restart and then login, the screen flashes again and again and again, to fix this I switched back to default windows theme  

January 1, 2015 9:48:43 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I've been using Windows 10 for awhile, but when I installed windowblinds, it's not working properly for me.  It loads, etc., but then all of the explorer windows are black.  I can't figure out why it does that.  I uninstalled and re-installed at a later date to see if it was just a fluke in something I did, but same result.  I can hardly see anything in the exporer windows when everything is surrounded with black.

January 2, 2015 1:10:14 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting AceMatrix,

I'm using the Win 10 Preview and Windowblinds 8 is working great. I'm also using the latest Start8 and everything is magnificent , and the real clincher here for me is that Iconpackager is also working great !!   All in all , I'm very happy and excited with things so far.         -- Ace --

Sorry but i can not agree with you since the current version of IP does not work like it should without workarounds.
It has been like that over a year.
Live folders are still bugged on windows8 and i want a proper build finally.
I have not tried it for my DP of W10 but i doubt that live folders are working flawless there.

January 26, 2015 6:48:39 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting RIPAciD,

Installed successfully on a clean install of win10 build 9888, theme applied but if you log out/restart and then login, the screen flashes again and again and again, to fix this I switched back to default windows theme  

The issue seems to be gone with the new 9926 build, but with the theme I have installed the Start button is partially obscured by the search button.

It's obvious there will have to be some re-engineering of WindowBlinds for Windows 10, to make it compatible with the new version of Explorer.  However, the regular application skinning appears to work fine, with the exception of Windows 8 app borders.

February 10, 2015 10:36:43 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I wouldn't count on it working much longer, Microsoft are overhauling WDDM (and introducing WDDM 2.0) in Windows 10. Chances are it will break completely by the time they push the next preview out and a whole new version will be required for the final build of Windows 10.

February 25, 2015 5:58:16 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Just used compatibility settings to bypass the installation block on 8.095, under Windows 10 9926, with the WDDM 2.0 NVIDIA drivers installed, and there don't seem to be any new regressions.

April 2, 2015 11:29:36 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I've been using Icon Packager in Windows 10 Preview for a few weeks successfully, and just installed Windowblinds 8.095 with compatibility settings as BFeely above. I'm going to go give it a shot! I tend to be willing to 'allow' for little glitches when using my customization software in a new OS; I'm usually just glad to be able to 'dress' up my PC at my choosing.  ^^

April 2, 2015 11:48:31 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting PCPrincess,

I've been using Icon Packager in Windows 10 Preview for a few weeks successfully

Let me know how uninstalling IP goes.

June 30, 2015 11:39:55 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I have had nothing but issues with window blinds and windows 10; the taskbar is especially problematic, with the icons stretching across the taskbar, so you can only pin about 5 or 6 of them to the tasbar, before you get a "Scrollbar" on the end, that you have to click on to show the other icons that are pinned to the taskbar..plus, the taskbar wont show when I bring my mouse down to it, I have to "grab" it near the end, and lift it to show it..

Once I uninstlled the entire Stardock suite, everything worked as expected..what am I doing wrong?

thanks so much!

June 30, 2015 12:35:43 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

big barf  

If you haven't done so already then please request a support ticket here - http://esupport.stardock.com/index.php?/Tickets/Submit

You will receive an auto-generated ticket number. When you have the ticket number you can post it here in a comment.

Do not resend another email until you hear directly from a support tech or you will lose your position in the support queue.

Please note above the forum section on Stardock Summer Vacation notice.

There could be delays in responding to tickets.

June 30, 2015 1:02:09 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

thanks Hankers; here is the info I just received from the help desk

"Thank you for contacting us. This is an automated response confirming the receipt of your ticket. Our team will get back to you as soon as possible. When replying, please make sure that the ticket ID is kept in the subject so that we can track your replies.

Ticket ID: PRQ-616-20338
   Subject: window blinds and windows 10 interaction
   Department: WindowBlinds - SDSoft
   Type: Issue

"

June 30, 2015 2:09:07 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting big barf,

..what am I doing wrong?

Other than expecting things to work on an AS YET UNRELEASED OS? Nothing. Patience, dude, WindowBlinds isn't supported yet for Win10.

June 30, 2015 2:15:51 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I think the only program that is Windows 10 ready is Start 10.  The others may work to varying degrees but have not be 'certified' Windows 10 compatible. 

June 30, 2015 2:26:42 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I don't "expect" it to work properly, I just was surprised more people haven't posted about the same issue..

Although earlier I did a more extensive search, and I see those taskbar issues are more prevalent than I thought earlier

the OS is out on 7/29, and I am sure Stardock has received every insider test edition, so its not like they don't know exactly what's going on, but yeah, I don't expect it to function 100% properly until a month or so after its official release on July 29th

June 30, 2015 2:33:43 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting wase4711,

I don't expect it to function 100% properly until a month or so after its official release on July 29th
*Ding*Ding*Ding! We have a winner!

June 30, 2015 2:55:04 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

what do I win?

June 30, 2015 6:28:12 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting wase4711,

what do I win?

Kudos for understanding that....

To completely skin an OS you first need a completed OS ....

June 30, 2015 7:05:57 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

actually, my installed window blinds 8/stardock suite was working really well on all of the win 10 previews, except for the status bar issue, which was driving me nuts.

not sure how it would have been on a clean install, as I started the process by upgrading my win 7 installation, but none the less, almost all aspects of Object desktop were working until I un installed it this am

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000485   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+