Stardock

How much money do you spend on your games?

By on September 8, 2014 11:21:33 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

springning

Join Date 08/2014
+1

Since I bought a new game console, it make me save much money on games. Do you know, how much money do you spend yearly on your games?

Locked Post 18 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 9, 2014 7:10:01 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Very little actually. I am happy being a year behind, waiting for all the bugs to be ironed out and get a $60 title for $10 

September 9, 2014 7:30:36 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm guessing around $750. I buy most games when they go on sale, but some games I really want to pay full price for. Like Age of Wonders 3, Galciv3, Dungeon of the Endless, Planetary Annihilation. Supporting the stuff that I think is the most enjoyable.

Also there was the year when I played Allods online. Probably blew $1000 just on that.

September 9, 2014 8:27:39 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

This year not very much. Last year was more with a couple gigantic titles for PS3. But Steam Sales are my weakness.

The backlog is real.

September 9, 2014 8:32:36 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Yeah, unless it's something I really want I'll just usually wait for a sale.  Just as The_Gear said, I have such a backlog of games as it is.

It's about the same for console games.  

September 9, 2014 10:10:43 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Broad estimate of 40 euro per year. Only Steamsales.

September 9, 2014 2:45:47 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

$644.80

September 9, 2014 9:48:17 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

OMG, why are you willing to spend so much money on the games.

September 9, 2014 9:49:34 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Heavenfall,

I'm guessing around $750. I buy most games when they go on sale, but some games I really want to pay full price for. Like Age of Wonders 3, Galciv3, Dungeon of the Endless, Planetary Annihilation. Supporting the stuff that I think is the most enjoyable.

Also there was the year when I played Allods online. Probably blew $1000 just on that.

Wow... Why are you willing to spend so much money on the game?

September 9, 2014 10:02:32 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting kryo,

$644.80

I only paid for it below $200, it including pay for the game console

September 10, 2014 5:22:46 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The past 2-3 years, I've been largely filling up my backlog with old games I wanted at dirt cheap prices.  Now I pretty much have them all.

My purchasing now is a few games at full price (interesting strategy games, certain indies, PC fighting games)

A few games I'm on the fence on will be bought at 75% off  (Paradox games tend to fall in this category now)

This is the year where the amount of money I've spent on gaming has gone down, which is the first time this has happening while my income hasn't drasically gone down.

September 10, 2014 11:14:46 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting springning,

Quoting Heavenfall,

Wow... Why are you willing to spend so much money on the game?

Allods Online had an extremely novel concept at the time, teams of players building fantasy/steampunk ships and sailing through "Astral space", inhabited by demons and other players. If you survived long enough, you would eventually discover islands that you entered for a PVE dungeon. If one team raided an island it became unavailable for everyone. Once you made it out of the dungeon you had to survive piloting your ship back to base or all the loot was lost. The Astral Space was randomly generated each week and it was actually difficult to find your way around, and harder still to survive the trip back.

However, the game became more and more expensive and I gave it up in the end. Basically it was a P2W game that was aimed at so-called "whales". If you weren't willing to be that, there was little point to playing the game.

September 10, 2014 12:31:44 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I very rarely pay full price for console games.  The only exceptions for this in memory have been Halo games, Destiny, and mass effect 3.

September 10, 2014 6:03:08 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I spent quite a lot in the last two-three years - probably around 1500-2000$ - but most of it on Kickstarters.

September 10, 2014 7:47:43 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting springning,
Quoting kryo,

$644.80

I only paid for it below $200, it including pay for the game console

Correction, it was $542.30 (average over four years). Had a miscategorized transaction back in 2012 throwing it off... That is only game software across all platforms and various MMO subs off and on over that time.

When you consider that's far less than most people spend on cable TV (which I dropped years ago), it's not really that much as the core of an adult's home entertainment budget.

September 12, 2014 6:47:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

My worst year I spent $5,000, prior to getting married of course and part of that budget was on a new gaming rig. It was also the first year that I really tracked my expenses. The following year I made *changes*. Otherwise, it's anywhere from 500-1500 / year. Steam and MMOs have beena  big help in cutting costs. As well as Stardock giving away free games

September 12, 2014 7:59:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Illauna,

My worst year I spent $5,000, prior to getting married of course and part of that budget was on a new gaming rig. It was also the first year that I really tracked my expenses. The following year I made *changes*. Otherwise, it's anywhere from 500-1500 / year. Steam and MMOs have beena  big help in cutting costs. As well as Stardock giving away free games

That's cause your expensive wife forced you to spend money on her instead of games, duh! 

September 13, 2014 12:21:25 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Less than $100/year

September 22, 2014 8:13:55 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting myfist0,

Very little actually. I am happy being a year behind, waiting for all the bugs to be ironed out and get a $60 title for $10 

except for galciv3 - this is my approach, as well.  Great minds think alike.  I might make an exception for fallout 4, but mostly, wait and get them as GOTY editions, on sale, w bug spray already applied liberally.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000297   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+