Stardock

Guild Wars 2

By on August 23, 2012 8:33:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Krazikarl

Join Date 03/2006
+10

I assume that a lot of us will be playing Guild Wars 2, so I figured that I'd start a thread on it.

Prerelease is this Saturday.  I personally am gone for the weekend, but plan on playing quite a bit on Monday (assuming they don't kill the servers prepping for release on Tuesday).

I guess that Vlad is playing on Tarnished Coast, so I'll probably go there as well.  My understanding is that server transfers are very pain free though, so it might not be a big deal.

I'll also probably start with a Mesmer, if anybody cares.

My understanding from people who played in the beta is that its a really solid game, so I might be playing it a lot.  I've been waiting for a non derivative, well executed MMORPG for a long time.

163 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 29, 2012 10:11:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yeah, I'll probably be playing LoL at least some nights by early next week.

We should do like Monday and Wednesday for GW2 nights so that we can do Tuesday and Thursday for LoL if people want to do both.

I'm the one who yelled out the guild name, so I'm fine with it.

August 29, 2012 11:33:19 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I can't say I'm particularly fond of being in a guild named after one specific guy, but it looks like I'm going to be outvoted regardless of what I want.

August 29, 2012 11:40:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

With regards to crafting:

I think I'm going to mostly skip crafting.  I really don't enjoy it, and collecting all that crap is tedious.  I'll still gather for the xp.  Maybe when prices stabilize I'll get into it.

August 30, 2012 12:47:19 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If I was to join a Stardock guild, I would want a different name.  And I do plan on joining a guild.

August 30, 2012 11:22:07 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Well you can join more than 1 guild. So we can have our Stardock fourm based guild, aka the guild Pacov made. If you want to represent that guild then you can. Or you can join another guild and represent them while still being part of the Stardock fourm guild.

As for the name of it, I personaly like the name pacov picked. Why? Its unique and means something to alot of the guys in the guild. Thats what a guild name should be. Who cares if its stupid.

Hell I find Goonswarm a stupid name but its popular in EVE. 

Even my bro and mine guild could be called stupid. But it has personal references for us about things we represent outside the game, so the name is almost an easter egg of sorts, if you happen to know or be part of the group we are tipping our hat to.

August 30, 2012 2:04:47 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I'll *probably* buy this game when it gets dx11 support.

I didn't really like the beta.  The new mechanics felt clunky and the story segments had horrible voice acting, bleh.

And if this is like any other forum I've mentioned it I'll get attacked by fanboys.  Whee.

August 30, 2012 3:04:05 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Well, I made it through the tutorial section last night.  Wouldn't call it clunky, a little shy of intuitive though.  The voice acting so far was actually pretty good.  Nothing spectacular, but we're talking b movie at least.

Early beta?  Might have been placeholder voice overs from the dev crew or something.

August 30, 2012 7:33:12 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Well, the voice acting is a little cheesy for the little tiny elf folks.  It's pretty well done for the plant people.  As you can see, I am fully immersed in the world...  

Anyway, sounds like we'll keep the guild going with the silly guild name as the majority is down with that.  Anyone is, of course, welcome to start up another guild that keeps uses the stardock name.  I'll just stick with this one and play using it going forward.

I'd like to do some WvWvW tonight with as many of us as a willing and available.  I'm thinking maybe in an hour or so.  Hope you can join me.  Remember, in WvWvW it doesn't matter what level you are as everyone gets bumped up to level 80.  All are welcome.  If you are not part of the silly guild yet and would like an invite, just let me know.  Everyone here is welcome if they'd like to join us. 

August 30, 2012 8:16:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm in for some pvp tonight. Any specific time? I played a lot in the last couple days, so I'm taking it easier tonight, limiting myself to an hour or two. 

August 30, 2012 8:23:40 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'd like to join in but my client cannot keep a stable connection to the ArenaNet servers going.  I drop constantly from the game.

August 30, 2012 8:24:50 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting SpardaSon21,
I'd like to join in but my client cannot keep a stable connection to the ArenaNet servers going. I drop constantly from the game.

ugh - that sucks!  When did that mess start?

oh - and online now.

August 30, 2012 8:26:33 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Tuesday, right on the release date.  There were only minor issues during the beta but I'm lucky if I get 15 minutes now.

August 30, 2012 9:01:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well hopefully they can fix that up soon. I've noticed they've had some network issues on their end. Also, have a look at what ports the game needs open, and pass that on to your antivirus and/or router firewall. I had some trouble with connectivity before I did that. 

August 30, 2012 9:50:33 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Considering the beta ran nearly flawlessly, I think its a problem with all the new players.

August 31, 2012 8:47:02 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

K - some exciting new thoughts on Gw:

1 - WvWvW on our server seems to suck a bit.  According to karl, some mega clan makes their home on that server.  This seems to make it so that their team always holds a pretty substantial amount of territory.  From what I understand, one of the big things about WvWvW is that if your team wins, you all get some sort of global bonus.  And I think you win by having the most territory?  Perhaps.  Anyway, if that's the case, then its kind of a situation where you will never win.  Which, as we all know, is super fun.  Anyway, I found I stated to get a little board with that mode once I thought about that a little more.

So, I'm thinking dungeons will likely we where we have a good chunk of fun.  I think you have to hit level 30 to do so, though.  Several of us have hit level 30.  I have not yet.  Smeh,  Anywho, I shall endevor to get there.

I'd like if we did take a little time here and there to group up when we are going through the various missions as I think that gives you additional karma points, etc. 

August 31, 2012 1:57:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yeah, around level 30 I got a couple mails sort of... introducing me to my local dungeon.

August 31, 2012 2:05:09 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Dungeons are actually quite fun

and they are extremely rewarding.

I'm level 50 and will assist in all future dungeon raids.

August 31, 2012 5:44:03 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting KrdaxDrkrun,
Dungeons are actually quite fun

I found the only one Ive done so far to be full of bullshit.

Party wipe after party wipe after party wipe. I lost money on the damn thing.

Loot was, eh. Very underwhelming. 

Ive not tried exploration mode yet but at this rate Im gonna say fuck it like Ive done for doing awesome in WvWvW.

Speaking on the later, I had some fun doing it last night, but the Firestorm spam drove me crazy. Currently it rewards classes that are more focused on AoE ranged damage. Melee is put to shame and guarentees 80% the time your gonna die.

It doesnt help that Shiverpeak server are very very active in their quest to own EVERYTHING! But that really doesnt bother me, b/c even the meager points we get help our server. Just at a much slower rate than what Shiverpeak is getting. So in theory, holding even the few things we did helps the entire server. So I will keep playing WvWvW if nothing else for XP, shits and giggles.

I will say it gets more fun as you get higher lvl, having just a few extra trait points can make or break how well you do.

August 31, 2012 6:05:34 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The one dungeon I played (Caudecus Manor) I died once over four runs... Maybe it's because I am an Engineer... I dunno.

The enemies are tough and you do need tanks to help mitigate damage. I've never had a party wipe.

I got my epic hat, tons of materials, and over 100,000 experience

August 31, 2012 6:26:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I actually think assassins do quite well in PvP. They can kill easy and are incredibly evasive.

August 31, 2012 6:30:36 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

JACK

YOU DIDN'T GIVE ME YOUR NAME

August 31, 2012 6:34:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yeah, we should definitely do dungeons from time to time.  I don't think that we want to raid exclusively, but it should be fun as an alternative to other forms of play.

I've heard from a few different people that the server who is crushing in WvWvW is the server that everybody from 4chan rolled on (I'm assuming that people who aren't pacov know what 4chan is).  So yeah, thats going to be tough.  But they redo the matchups every few weeks, so our server will get put in the moron bracket, and we should do better next time around.

August 31, 2012 6:36:40 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Oh, so 4chan is on the Shiverpeaks?  God, no wonder we're losing.  Those guys have no life.

August 31, 2012 7:18:00 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

4Chan is on shiverpeaks?

that shouldn't happen

shiverpeaks is the reddit server

4Chan hates reddit more than anything else

August 31, 2012 7:25:41 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'm just going by what Krazikarl said.  Regardless of whether it is the 4Chan or Reddit server, the players on it still don't have a life, and we don't have an Elementalist with the Staff of 1000 Truths handy.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000328   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+