Stardock

The End of Beta 1 Survey

By on March 17, 2010 1:40:08 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums External Link

Denryu

Join Date 07/2006
+92

Hey everyone!

As Beta 1 begins to wrap up, just thought I would put up a survey to get people's feelings of the "state of the game".

I realize this is just going to be impressions and may not, in fact WILL NOT reflect reality, it is just a measure of perception! I hope you all participate and enjoy the survey!

I will post results either Saturday, or when the survey is taken by 100 people (the limit for a free account). Sometimes the limit is hit early, but the last survey I did (January) still has had only 94 participants... FWIW.

Enjoy!

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/6XM6XF5

24 Replies +23
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 17, 2010 1:48:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Good poll, as usual. Lol @ question #6. Anyways, for you.

March 17, 2010 2:56:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

done

and

March 17, 2010 9:15:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Taken

March 17, 2010 9:38:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Taken. I don't like halos, so ........ actually, I like pentagons even less......... [K++]

March 17, 2010 10:11:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Karma ++ ..... in any case, it was a nifty survey.

March 18, 2010 10:31:49 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

, or which ever you prefer.

March 18, 2010 2:52:08 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Lol thanks for all the karma guys - you have satiated the karma beast within...

48 have taken the survey so far...we may have results posted tomorrow if the momentum keeps up.

March 18, 2010 3:53:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Taken and given now give me something in return or I'll boycot all your next surveys...  (or not...) 

March 18, 2010 4:07:27 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Took it and karma given. Good job on the survey!

March 20, 2010 2:06:31 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

RESULTS with 59 particpants....

1. As we approach Beta 2, we know that the primary prerequisite to moving into beta 3 is that the gameplay is pretty much locked down, solid and awesome! This question is NOT intended to be a push for Beta 3, as we all want an awesome game regardless of the time it takes. That being said, how far along to you consider the GAMEPLAY development overall - in other words how close do you feel the current gameplay is to what you want in the final product?
  answered question 59

skipped question
 Response
Percent
Response
Count
Less than 25% of the way there.
35.6% 21
Between 25% and 50% of the way there.
55.9% 33
Between 50% and 75% of the way there.
8.5% 5
Only minor tweaks needed.   0.0% 0
DownloadCreate Chart2. Let's dig deeper into question 1: Tell me how close each "element" is to completion in regards to gameplay? (note that some systems such as the magic system, are not included as they are not really implemented at this point)
  answered question 58

skipped question
 under 25%25-50%50-75%90%+It's ready!Response
Count
The economic system 38.6% (22) 42.1% (24) 17.5% (10) 1.8% (1) 0.0% (0) 57
The dynasty system 33.9% (19) 48.2% (27) 14.3% (8) 1.8% (1) 1.8% (1) 56
The diplomacy system 42.1% (24) 45.6% (26) 12.3% (7) 0.0% (0) 0.0% (0) 57
Pre-game setup options 26.3% (15) 29.8% (17) 31.6% (18) 12.3% (7) 0.0% (0) 57
Unit design 8.8% (5) 50.9% (29) 22.8% (13) 15.8% (9) 1.8% (1) 57
Research 10.5% (6) 40.4% (23) 40.4% (23) 8.8% (5) 0.0% (0) 57
DownloadCreate Chart3. Beta 2 is, I believe, imminent. When do you think we will get to beta 3? (Meaning that gameplay is very solid on all implemented features).
  answered question 58

skipped question
 Response
Percent
Response
Count
April
5.2% 3
May
17.2% 10
June
41.4% 24
July
36.2% 21
DownloadCreate Chart4. We know that Stardock is determined to not release the game until they are VERY satisfied with the state of the game. When do you prdeict the game will be available for retail?
  answered question 59

skipped question
 Response
Percent
Response
Count
September 2010
11.9% 7
Q4 2010
37.3% 22
Q1 2011
35.6% 21
Q2 2011
8.5% 5
Q3 2011
5.1% 3
Duke Nukem Forever
1.7% 1
DownloadCreate Chart5. How do you feel Stardock has done in regards to being responsive to specific questions and user feedback regareding the development of Elemental?
  answered question 59

skipped question
 Response
Percent
Response
Count
Unresponsive.
1.7% 1
Kinda responsive.
13.6% 8
Very Responsive.
35.6% 21
Setting an industry standard of responsiveness.
49.2% 29
Too responsive.   0.0% 0

March 20, 2010 2:22:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I hope these surveys are not only helpful to us fans, but also provides useful feedback for StarDock.

I found it interesting that looking at the gameplay as a whole (and where it needs to be in regards to going to Beta 3) over 90% felt that we were less than halfway there. I thought that was a pretty mature and measured response. It is clear the majority that took the survey are more concerned about quality than rushing the beta process. I think that is awesome.

I also found it interesting that breaking things down by systems, people tended to overal rate things "more complete" than they did in question 1. Even the two lowest rated pieces, the diplomacy and dynasty, rated higher (more complete) when rated separately.

On a side note, I realize that changes could be put in in a VERY short time that would drastically alter these numbers.

On question 3 it looks like I maybe should have extended the options farther into the future. Given that StarDock is still holding to a "hoped for" Sept 1 release, I thought that going to Beta 3 in July would give people plenty of options. Yet 77% chose either June or July, so it is a sure bet that if I would have provided August and September that some people would have chosen that option. Live and learn.

Question 4 I thought had a pretty good distribution of responses. Nice bell curve. Same with 5. Stardock deserves kudos I think for getting 85% saying they were either "very responsive" or "setting an industry standard" to addressing concerns and responding to feedback.

I did not include question 6, as it was meant in humor and elicited the desired result!

March 21, 2010 3:53:15 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I did not include question 6, as it was meant in humor and elicited the desired result!

Well, I'm sure I speak for a lot people on this forum when I say that the surveys you provide are really appreciated. And sometimes people need to be reminded about the karma option to make them show that aprreciation.

I'm sure I should have given more karma to some posts / people but I forget most of the time... So, thanks for the survey and the reminder (and the karma )

March 21, 2010 5:21:15 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

damn you... i just had to give you karma

March 21, 2010 5:40:26 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yep, we want moaaar surveys.

March 21, 2010 9:12:04 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Denryu,

I found it interesting that looking at the gameplay as a whole (and where it needs to be in regards to going to Beta 3) over 90% felt that we were less than halfway there. I thought that was a pretty mature and measured response. It is clear the majority that took the survey are more concerned about quality than rushing the beta process. I think that is awesome.

Indeed, and I am kinda surprised about the results so far....the great number of the "under 25%" votes is especially interesting...

March 21, 2010 10:29:43 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I have to agree on all counts.

It is nice to see almost everyone involved focused on making the game better as opposed to rushing through the beta stages to see more content. That is obvious by the completion percentages on the lower side of 50%. It also gives me more faith that game mechanics will be changed, tweaked or scrapped if they aren't fun. It would be easy to bang out another generic strategy game, but they are treating this one differently. Elemental has that much potential!

As far as the responsiveness of Stardock, would anyone really expect differently? This is one huge aspect that most Big Businesses have forgotten about, but the rare few still practice great customer service. Cater to your customers and they will support you for a long time. Loyalty is earned not purchased.

March 21, 2010 12:42:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Done. Keep up the good work!

March 21, 2010 12:47:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks for the survey, I took it before looking down, and my responses were mostly where the majority was, so that leads me to believe I either have half an idea of what I am talking about, or that I can link into the mob mentality well. Thanks also for the Karma reminder, I know lots of people forget that option.

Again, great job and thanks!

March 21, 2010 5:45:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Very helpful.

We need to update our forum tech to support surveys.

March 21, 2010 6:13:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Here's where we see it:

We're 29.5% of the way done with the game (hence the versioning 0.29.5).

We believe the game will likely be released before the end of Summer (which ends September 21st) but we're content to push it back if we necessary as long as is necessary. 

We consider the sovereign and faction creation parts of the game to be the furthest along. The rest are about 1/3rd of the way.

I think Beta 3 will show up in May but it will depend on you guys since there will be a vote and 75% of beta testers have to vote in favor to move forward.

March 21, 2010 7:01:41 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks Frogboy!

So it appears from what you stated that the people who took the survey actually have a very good grasp about how far along things are! I think that is a great testimonial about how open you are and I really appreciate how you keep us informed.

Even though I do not want the game before it is perfect, I am happy to see you bucking the trend and still holding September out as the expected release date. This confirms my suspicion that even though we are only 29.5% done, we will likely see changes coming fast and furious during probably the second half (version 0.5.+) of the beta cycle.

March 22, 2010 9:03:46 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

We need to update our forum tech to support surveys.

Now this is a good idea.

Quoting Frogboy,
I think Beta 3 will show up in May but it will depend on you guys since there will be a vote and 75% of beta testers have to vote in favor to move forward.

Impressive decision.

March 27, 2010 4:22:08 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

good thing I didn't read comments 1st.  My survey would have been influenced by Frogboy's post 

March 27, 2010 11:31:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks for making the survey *1 karma* Its nice to see stardock and its community all care about their products and eachother isn't it?

At least enough to ask eachothers opinions.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000969   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+