Stardock

This game is a friggin masterpiece

By on March 28, 2013 12:11:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Trojasmic

Join Date 04/2006
+40

I'm more and more impressed with all the things you've improved over FE.  If FE had 20 things wrong with it, you've nailed like 18 of them.  Great work across the board!

Locked Post 63 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 28, 2013 12:16:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yes, fun, and Challenging is actually Challenging!  Although Wealthy and Beastmaster can make Challenging more fun and less frustrating.  Just make sure you take Brilliant for the increased chance of taming Beasts, and try not to Tame really tough Beasts without support for the first few levels.

March 28, 2013 12:32:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I think I might have openly wept when I could upgrade the number of figures in my units.  So, so beautiful.

March 28, 2013 12:47:24 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I agree with all 3 above posts.

March 28, 2013 1:12:42 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Heh, people (including me ) keep calling the taming skill Beastmaster, when in game it is Beastlord.  I guess we are conditioned from other fantasy games.

March 28, 2013 1:16:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums
BeastMistress
March 28, 2013 3:19:31 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm not sure about masterpiece, at least not yet, but LH is definitely well on there way there with the improvements from vanilla Fallen Enchantress.

March 28, 2013 3:23:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm loving it.

March 28, 2013 3:26:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting StevenAus,

Yes, fun, and Challenging is actually Challenging!  Although Wealthy and Beastmaster can make Challenging more fun and less frustrating.  Just make sure you take Brilliant for the increased chance of taming Beasts, and try not to Tame really tough Beasts without support for the first few levels.

Haaaayyyy quite copying my great find. BeastLord and wealthy. I do love the marriage and if you can get a group of cave bears you're godlike until the late middle or end of game. It's almost overpowering. Huge Spiders make great pets too an along side cave bears there's just no stopping that army.

Oh and make sure you go LIFE magic so you can keep them alive. Maul sometimes fails and one or two of them will lose a paw if you don't have heals.

March 28, 2013 3:55:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It is fantastic. Stardock's return to greatness!

March 28, 2013 4:10:18 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The game is now good enough to be a classic that gets played for years to come.    Of course its still getting better too..............

I too found the addition of the ability to upgrade the number of individuals in an existing unit to be a great addition.

March 28, 2013 7:49:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

No doubt about it, this is the best strategy game I have ever played. It's strange though, all the elements were all there in WoM, which I couldn't complain enough about. And I still complain, because best isn't good enough. The biggest difference between WoM and LH is the mixture is becoming just right, more fun per game minute.

Now if they would only make leveling up as fun as it is in an rpg... 

March 28, 2013 8:11:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I've played this game for 45 hours so far, and I'm astonished at how few bugs I've found.  Compared to the FE beta, it's a finished product.

March 28, 2013 8:53:19 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks, Troj!  Really appreciate it.

We're getting a LOT of help too.

Like the way Civilization V looks? A lot of that is due to Dorian Newcomb formerly of Firaxis. He's come on board to help us on the visuals.  Soren Johnson (Civilization IV lead) has been helping on UI (there's a ton of UI improvements coming in).  Kael and I, of course, have a long list of improvements we're working on.  Jon Shafer (Civilization V) has been helping as well.  Heck, some of our lighting and shadowing techniques have gotten some help from the leads on the Civ V engine.  Gotta love this industry. 

And most importantly of all, you guys.  You guys who post your suggestions, feedback, and ideas. We write them down, put them on a list and see what we can do. 

So thank you so much for the kind words and all your help.  More to come, particularly in the area of UI, AI, and customization.

March 28, 2013 9:14:29 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This is great stuff. 

I am loving the game, thanks! 

March 28, 2013 11:03:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The Stardock team is doing great work.

March 28, 2013 11:37:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
Soren Johnson (Civilization IV lead) has been helping on UI (there's a ton of UI improvements coming in).

That is great to hear!! The UI has already been getting better and better, awesome to hear there are more improvements to come!

March 29, 2013 12:07:02 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Keep the inspiration up. 

I am looking forward to all the goodies to come!

March 29, 2013 2:53:00 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I have to agree. I loved Fallen Enchantress, and I really love this expansion as well. I love the looks of it. I consider this game the most beautiful and aesthetically pleasing strategy game of recent times. And that IS saying a lot.

March 29, 2013 3:40:21 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This is already one of the nicest looking 4x games, and still bringing good people in for the job.

That provides hope for the future, that a year from now, we might all be waiting on expansion 2 while enjoying our second and third DLC packs.

Keep it up!

March 29, 2013 4:57:04 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I am still on the ropes.  I spent a few hours playing it and could not come back to playing it for some reason. I will wait for finished product until I give my score. But as far as Betas goes, it is way better then FE beta. 

A more "simple" game like Eador is still better to me then this. Maybe it is that the combat is still too simple and uninteresting.

March 29, 2013 6:34:17 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I agree with everybody else. There is something special about this game. FE could be a cult game, but we already have LH coming and it seems to be just the beginning, which is AWESOME. We make a lot of comments and requests, but not because we dislike the game. We made those comments because we love it and would love for it to become even better. 

March 29, 2013 6:50:10 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I really like the way this game has developed since I first picked up FE. I also liked the GalCiv games.

I hope Stardock will stay an independent company forever. lots of good game studios were turned into money printing machines when they were bought up and integrated into EA, Activision etc. The industry needs someone like Stardock that reminds people that there's a better way than wasting millions of $$ on shiny games with shallow content.

March 29, 2013 6:59:36 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Seriously folks some of you throw the word LOVE around waaaayyy too much....like toast to a dwarven breakfast in the hobbits house. How can you LOVE a game?? It has no feelings for you, it will never give LOVE back and yet you LOVE it?

You know there are words like "enjoy" an even "like" is better than LUVVVVV. Love is a word you use when you want to get into someone pants don't waste it here in a forum far far away. lol

Now as far as the game goes I'm not all that gushy about it yet. The AI still has a long long longggggg ways to go and the strategy portion still needs more umpfh especially those roaming monsters and their aggressiveness (what is with spiders still webbing archers in the rear?). I'd like to see another element of extremely slow teching up and of course my idea from Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri of BLIND teching up by just picking a catagory and not the exact tech. The ai should hit and go in that it should go after a unit it can easily kill or hurt badly during the battle but in such a way it can attack some units along the way if it has to. The ai should get teleporting units like in Guild Wars where it can teleport clear accross the map and right on top of an opponent. (assassins get this and it's great fun clobbering pvp opponents). One of my favorites is one where you can teleport anywhere on the map, hit your opponent and then teleport back to your starting spot all in the same turn.

March 29, 2013 7:17:30 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Even with my highly critical nature on the forums, I am still enjoying LH immensely. That's great to hear that a lot of the CIV 5 team is helping out, that game with Gods & Kings is a pick-up and play masterpeice. One of my good friends and I play out a few 1-2 week long games every few months. The reason that I am trying to voice every percievable issue I come across is because LH is still in Beta, so there is still time to fix it for full release. I love the changes that are being done to the Warrior tree and that should really spice up combat. I would like to see the same for Assassin and Defender. Mages are already pretty set, they have such a wide array of spells to throw out into battle.

While I think expanding the class trees with more melee and ranged abilites is wonderful, and it helps really define Champions as a force to be reckoned with. I would also like to see a couple more chooseable special attacks in the form of traits that way when we are custom designing units we can give them a special attack besides weapon-based special attacks like cleave and impale, and maybe you can work one or two of these into the pre-existing units so the AI can have fun with them too. Or perhaps allow the AI to custom design units as well? I understand why people would shiver at that thought just imagine playing against SHODAN or HAL-9000, HAL would build the most efficient and brutal units to ever take the battlefield while being equally ruthless in diplomacy "Please Don't Destroy Me HAL!" "I'm sorry I can't do that Dave". SHODAN would build the perfect assimalation/annihilation army with all manner of plagued beasts and humans begging you to "Join Us!" while SHODAN constantly peppers you with insults.

March 29, 2013 7:20:15 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

@ Foxd1e: This is a FANTASY strategy game not Sci-Fi.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000453   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+