Stardock

Voyager I set to enter the Milky Way proper

The best is yet to come

By on November 4, 2012 10:46:06 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

GirlFriendTess

Join Date 11/2001
+11

Outward bound at 38,160 MPH, this relic of the seventies is still making history. Currently located ~11 billion miles from our star and based on the data, seems to be exiting the heliosheath and the protection of the solar winds. We learned much of the outer planets from V-I and V-II but the story does not stop there. Even hampered by lengthy communications gap with the probe which currently take 33.23 hours round trip (no video as we lost that ~20 years ago) and will only increase. We are about to experience the full effects of interstellar space for the first time ever on a manmade vehicle. But don’t expect miracles or ET, at this stupendous speed it will take another 40 thousand years before they approach the nearest star to earth, just one of over 100 billion stars in our own mediocre galaxy alone.  We are going to have to learn how to ‘bend’ something I think or humanity will just expire of old age. Well, we have another 13 years before the plutonium fuel cell runs dry when it will become a memorial hurtling through the 'emptiness' of space. No matter what foolishness we do on this planet, we will have left a couple of markers to let whomsoever becomes interested that there was once a species they called humanity. I thought the analogy with the sink was great too.

NASA: Voyager 1  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_Q-sA1pBe8

Locked Post 30 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 4, 2012 11:14:09 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I doubt it's "entering" the Milky Way .....it's been in it since manufacture....as we are....

November 5, 2012 1:28:06 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I see in a matter of time a mile long ship will appear over Cape Canaveral, and a beam will come down with the Voyager I craft in the middle of it and land on the tarmac and a transmission will come from the ship and it will say, "Damn kids, keep your toys off my freakin lawn."  

November 5, 2012 3:05:24 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

This link shows an odometer in real time. Distance from the Earth and the Sun in kilometers and AU's (astronomical units). Thirty five years from launch to exiting the solar system and finding all kinds of what one astronomer called 'weirdness'. Not too shabby considering the level of technology at the time. From computers that took up whole rooms and ran at turtle speeds to ones you carry in your pocket.

Link: http://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/where/index.html

November 5, 2012 8:40:25 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

OMG!!! What happens if it punctures and breaks the bubble!

November 5, 2012 11:19:58 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Ooops!!!

November 6, 2012 12:26:58 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting LightStar,
OMG!!! What happens if it punctures and breaks the bubble!

*Pop*

November 6, 2012 8:12:23 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting boshimi336,

Quoting LightStar, reply 5OMG!!! What happens if it punctures and breaks the bubble!

*Pop*

Yep! Probably happen on December 21st too!

November 6, 2012 11:40:22 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting Uvah,
Reply #3 Uvah
Thanks for taking this seriously, I had hoped more would do the same. I have spent a fair amount of time on the NASA sites and have acquired 1,221 HD photos for my library as of late. I have always been a science nut having started out reading everything I could find by Andre Norton (aka Andrew North) particularly because she involved a lot of ‘animals’ in her stories. I loved the sciences and the math enough to make a profession in nuclear power. The grandeur of space is overwhelming in its variety and possibilities, like a star that is a billion times as massive as our star which itself is a million times as massive as the earth, amazing? Or things like there are more galaxies in the known universe than there are stars in the Milky Way, just mind boggling.
Quoting Jafo,
Reply #1 Jafo
Jafo (hi) … I know that you know exactly what I mean and you know that I know exactly what you mean too … or is that presumptuous of me (lol)? With that being said, what do you think of the successes (and failures) of the Voyager projects?

PS - Is there a way to remove some posts from ones ‘My Replies’ list to prevent them from popping up to the head of the line?

November 6, 2012 12:21:11 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Voyager series rocked pretty hard core and still do. People fail to realize often just how many craft we have zooming about our solar system, or orbiting the sun, or different planets, the list goes on and on. In any case, I want a moon base. Once the infrastructure is there, it suddenly becomes much more economical for orbital industry to occur. I hope that we get there ... before we blow ourselves up.

November 6, 2012 12:27:29 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I usually do. Been keeping up on the Voyager's voyage (pun intended) since they were launched in '77. The pics they sent back fron Uranus and Neptune are still the only ones of both gas giants and the Voyagers being the only probes ever to reach them. We should get some good ones from New Horizons on its way out to Pluto. Last report said New Horizons was somewhere between Jupiter and Saturn. Wonder what they'll do now that Pluto has five satellites orbiting. Only planets are thought to have satellites. Think they'll re-re-classify Pluto.

November 6, 2012 12:31:46 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting Uvah,
I usually do. Been keeping up on the Voyager's voyage (pun intended) since they were launched in '77. The pics they sent back fron Uranus and Neptune are still the only ones of both gas giants and the Voyagers being the only probes ever to reach them. We should get some good ones from New Horizons on its way out to Pluto. Last report said New Horizons was somewhere between Jupiter and Saturn. Wonder what they'll do now that Pluto has five satellites orbiting. Only planets are thought to have satellites. Think they'll re-re-classify Pluto.

Scientists can't even decide if eggs are good for me, or bad for me.  I wouldn't trust them with the decision over whether a body in space was a planet or not.

November 6, 2012 1:00:25 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jythier,
if eggs are good for me, or bad for me.

Good for you in moderation. Excellent surce of protein. People been scuffin' 'em up for a bazillion years now. As for a planet...well......maybe....with some ketchup. lol

November 6, 2012 2:30:46 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting Uvah,
Reply #10 Uvah
Seems it reached Uranus on 3-18-11 and is expected to take another three years before it approaches poor old Pluto on 7-14-15. We should then have a good ten years to play with some Kuiper Belt objects at least. New Horizons left the influence of earth with the highest velocity for a manmade object at 36, 373 MPH. The plutonium core will last till 2026 then we will have another outbound sample of humanities existence headed towards Sagittarius. By the time it is within six months of Pluto, it will be able to send data and pictures back that will have more resolution than even Hubble has given us. I have to go eat a few hardboiled eggs now, hope I will be alive and back later, lol. Personally I never downgraded Pluto just for nostalgic reasons but we will have to wait a couple years for an up close and personal re-evaluation.

November 6, 2012 2:53:59 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I first heard about New Horizons when it was in the oncept stage. When I saw a report saying it was given the go ahead I was exsctatic! Best Hubble view shows Pluto as a glowing disk but check this out. There is actually a very good pic of Pluto. Tentative IMO but it suggests some surface details. I guess two more years waiting isn't too bad though.

November 6, 2012 3:29:55 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

I can live with ‘dwarf planet’ which seems to be where we are now.

Hubble's Pictures of Pluto   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGemyHnPTHQ

November 6, 2012 4:56:05 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

One for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmJeE_33R5E&feature=endscreen&NR=1

November 6, 2012 8:03:22 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

How much you want to bet that pluto has life?

November 6, 2012 8:09:51 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting GirlFriendTess,
Jafo (hi) … I know that you know exactly what I mean and you know that I know exactly what you mean too … or is that presumptuous of me (lol)? With that being said, what do you think of the successes (and failures) of the Voyager projects?

PS - Is there a way to remove some posts from ones ‘My Replies’ list to prevent them from popping up to the head of the line?

Yes, once you remember Earth's part of the same galaxy called 'The Milky Way' then you know nothing we can do can 'enter it'.....only 'leave'.  [unless we leave first].

And, No ...the only way I expect that can happen is if you are able to delete your posts [which I can do - but only when appropriate/required]...

November 6, 2012 8:15:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Jafo,
Yes, once you remember Earth's part of the same solar system called 'The Milky Way' then you know nothing we can do can 'enter it'.....only 'leave'.

Ooops, I think you mean galaxy named "The Milky Way."

November 6, 2012 8:16:01 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,
once you remember Earth's part of the same solar system called 'The Milky Way'

That would be a "Galaxy" not a "Solar System"

+4 to Leo for going there first.

November 6, 2012 8:23:33 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Wizard1956,
That would be a "Galaxy" not a "Solar System"

November 6, 2012 9:21:33 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'd already corrected it...if you'd refreshed you would have noticed.

There weren't any responses prior to the correction....

November 6, 2012 9:24:09 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting Uvah,
Reply #16 Uvah
I have most of the pic’s displayed but a couple of names didn't ring a bell. I don't recall the Eskimo nebula or the Ant nebula by name. I categorized my library by NGC no when there was one so when I make the time to look, I will find them under a different designation or they will soon be in my library. I don’t think I could have picked a top 100 let alone the top ten though. I am not sure the moon is the place to start if outward bound is the main theme though?

Quoting Jafo,
Reply #18 Jafo
No big deal, just an annoyance. I believe I have qualified the OP with enough information not to be confusing or to appear deceptive.

November 6, 2012 9:59:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I fully expect that soon Voyager will mysteriously stop transmitting, and baffled, we will search in vain for it, only for a signal arrive years later signaling it is in a nearby star system, thus proving that outside the star system's bubble there is hyperspace everywhere and FTL is not only possible but mandatory.

November 7, 2012 12:04:25 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'm waiting for photobucket. Page loading is so slow over here.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000938   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+