Something annoying

Google

By on August 25, 2012 10:38:46 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

JuniorCrooks

Join Date 12/2009
+154

This might be one for yrag. Since yesterday I have been experiencing this

Redirect Notice
 The previous page is sending you to http://thechive.com/2010/01/19/custom-67-mustang-obsidian-14-photos/.

If you do not want to visit that page, you can return to the previous page.

The first link is only an example, It happens when I click on any picture and it only happens with google images. If I hover on the image until it enlarges and then click on it all is fine. It does it with other browsers too or at least it does with opera. If I use yahoo as the search engine and click on images it works fine. I don't believe it to be malware or a rootkit issue. I have done various scan and all come up clean. It appears to be a google thing. I have cleared my Internet cache and it had no effect. I am using internet 8 and perhaps if I went to Internet 9 the problem would go away but I had 9 and hated it. It was buggy and slower then version 8.

Now before you just tell me to switch search engines think about it. I can just set yahoo as my home page but that does not really fix the problem. There must be a reason why this just began to happen over night. Nothing was downloaded to my knowledge in that short of time, no fishy sites was I browsing and I checked add ons to see if they were the culprit. No amount of searching google has helped. I have read articles of others who have experienced the same issue. Most do not give a solution or say common sense things like clear your cache but those solutions have not done squat.

Anyone else experiencing this or have in the past?

48 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 25, 2012 11:05:36 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I don't think it's thechive.com  (http://www.avgthreatlabs.com/sitereports/domain/thechive.com#analytics)

Have you tried cleaning out your computer's temporary files?

If that doesn't help, and just to feel more secure you could try this: http://www.freedrweb.com/cureit/?lng=en

Download Dr.Web CureIt to the desktop.

• Doubleclick the drweb-cureit.exe file, then on Start and allow to run the express scan
  • This will scan the files currently running in memory and when something is found, click the yes button when it asks you if you want to cure it. This is only a short scan.
  • Once the short scan has finished, chose the Complete Scan.
  • Select all drives. A red dot shows which drives have been chosen.
  • Click the green arrow Posted Image at the right, and the scan will start.
  • Click 'Yes to all' if it asks if you want to cure/move the file.
  • When the scan has finished, look and see if you can click the following icon next to the files found:
    Posted Image
  • If so, click it and then click the next icon right below and select Move incurable as you'll see in next image:
    Posted Image
  • This will move it to the %userprofile%\DoctorWeb\quarantaine-folder if it can't be cured. (this in case if we need samples)
  • After selecting, in the Dr.Web CureIt menu on top, click file and choose save report list
  • Save the report to your desktop. The report will be called DrWeb.csv
  • Close Dr.Web Cureit.

Reboot your computer to allow files that were in use to be moved/deleted during reboot.

Not saying this will work or that you have a virus, but redirects smell like that. Oh... and you won't have to uninstall the download.

August 25, 2012 11:10:48 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'm not sure what your issue is exactly. Is it that you're getting that 'redirect notice'? Sorry, if I am missing your point.

I'm wondering if it's an IE issue. Maybe a new safety feature alerting you that you're being redirected? I use FF and Opera and can't remember the last time I used IE for anything. I never had anything like this crop up on any browser. Hopefully, it's not anything 'harmful'.

***I just opened IE to see if I had the same issue and nothing. Could it be an add-on like WOT or maybe your anti-virus  that has a setting to warn you when you are being redirected?

August 25, 2012 11:43:45 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

A yrag consultation is indicated...

August 25, 2012 11:44:20 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Hey guys thanks. Doc I will try what you posted.

Po my problem is I cannot click on images using google without receiving the redirect message. Before I simply clicked and the image page would load which is how it is suppose to work. Now I have to hover on the image until it enlarges then when I click the page opens. I do have wot enabled but it had not caused me any problems before and the only thing that has changed with my antivirus was that it updated the program a few days ago. I suppose that could have something to do with it but I doubt it. It does this with opera too, I have not tried chrome or FF.

I have scanned with malwarebytes and my antivirus but nothing is detected.

I should ad that i am not actually getting redirected. I am just getting the notice. If I click on the link in the notice the page I want to view loads. I am not being redirected to any sites I don't want to see by clickiing any links.

August 25, 2012 12:02:05 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting JuniorCrooks,
It does this with opera too, I have not tried chrome or FF.

I'd try FF and any other browser you have installed. If it's doing it with more than one browser, I would be inclined to think that one of your malware, spyware, or antivirus programs has recenlty updated with something that keeps giving you this warning.

I would also check to see if any malware or antivirus 'toolbars' have been installed. I recently ran into an issue twice with AVG toolbar being installed on my PC through other programs (one was a recent update of Any Video Converter and it was a pain in the ass to remove the toolbar add-on from Chrome especially)

Do you use and is it possible it's a feature of Windows Defender or any Window/MS protection?

August 25, 2012 12:11:31 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

^All good thoughts. Maybe a screenshot of the notification?

Any recent antimalware updates?

August 25, 2012 1:12:40 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I appreciate your help guys. There is not much more of a screenshot then what I copied and pasted in the post. It is just a blank screen exept it has this wrote on it.

Redirect Notice
 The previous page is sending you to http://thechive.com/2010/01/19/custom-67-mustang-obsidian-14-photos/.

If you do not want to visit that page, you can return to the previous page.

Again the link is just one example. It is always the link of the image I am trying to view. Seth I did that scan and nothing was detected. What I may try is a different virus software. I use to use MSE and I have lately been using Avast free version. I never had this problem with advast before but like I have said it recently updated the software. I will nuke it and try something different and get back to you guys.

August 25, 2012 1:28:55 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

JC - take a look at this:

http://wiert.me/2012/02/16/chrome-google-search-urls-changed-into-a-webhp-redirect-no-rootkit-avast-and-eggheadcafe-seem-involved-reproducible-on-one-machine-what-happened/

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/google-redirect-and-avast-not-updating.125083/

I'm thinking it's your Avast, JC.

Try uninstalling it with CCleaner and then cleaning the registry. Make sure to back the registry up, then reboot.

See what happens then.

August 25, 2012 1:42:07 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

With recent changes to Avast, it had gotten to the point of slowing my boot time by 60-80 seconds, confirmed in Perfmon   Boot times went back to normal as soon as Avast was gone. I was a happy use for several years up to that point.

I now use ASC Pro with AV.

August 25, 2012 2:06:08 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Well it was not Avast causing the problem. I nuked it with ccleaner and cleaned the registry. Even before installing new antivirus I tried images and I have the same problem. Time to look at something else.

August 25, 2012 4:37:18 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I found this JuniorCrooks

http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2007/02/google-redirect-notice.html

August 25, 2012 4:51:28 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting WinMonster2,
I found this JuniorCrooks

http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2007/02/google-redirect-notice.html

Thank you kindly but I had read that article and it does not give a solution, only an explanation. I want to know what changed over night to create this problem. So far nothing I have tried to fix it works. My only solution is to change search providers and do away with google altogether.

August 25, 2012 5:25:21 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

try this article then it seems to have more removal or fix info to it

http://www.brighthub.com/internet/security-privacy/articles/73919.aspx

August 25, 2012 8:03:22 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Toolbars!!

Internet Options/ Advanced/ Reset  

August 25, 2012 10:15:24 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I never thought to do a reset but after doing so I still have the same problem. It can't be an internet problem because it only does it with google. If I use yahoo images load with no redirect message. It has to have something to do with google. I yet to look at winmonsters link but i will do that now.

August 25, 2012 10:22:25 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting JuniorCrooks,
I never thought to do a reset but after doing so I still have the same problem. It can't be an internet problem because it only does it with google. If I use yahoo images load with no redirect message. It has to have something to do with google. I yet to look at winmonsters link but i will do that now.

...or you could listen to yrag....

August 25, 2012 10:38:52 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,

Quoting JuniorCrooks,
reply 15

...or you could listen to yrag....

Huh? I did listen to him and did what he said but it never fixed the problem.

August 26, 2012 12:00:41 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Don't think for a moment you don't have 'something'....

Start > Search > type: C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

On prompt, open the HOSTS file in Notepad

Delete all the lines of IP addresses in the text document except for "127.0.0.1 localhost".

Note: It may show:

# 127.0.0.1       localhost

# ::1                  localhost

That is acceptable.

Start > Search > type: msconfig

Under the Startup tab make certain nothing strange is starting with Windows.

Re-boot

August 26, 2012 12:42:21 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

# 127.0.0.1       localhost

# ::1                  localhost

That is all there was so nothing to delete. I looked at startup and there is nothing strange there that could be causing the problem. 

I still do not believe I have something. This happened after puting the computer to sleep and I had not even been using the internet. I opened no fishy sites or downloaded anything. I have scanned with multiple software. I thought it was the Avast update so i got rid of Avast and installed Ad-Aware Pro and it is still doing the same thing. 

August 26, 2012 1:05:46 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

If you think you don't have 'something' than ..... well..... I guess you don't have 'something'.

I am getting a bit old and dim-witted, but perhaps you could explain to me why only you have this? (at the very least, share the sand so I can get my head in)

August 26, 2012 1:17:56 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I said i don't think I have something. What I think or may not think has nothing to do with the problem. I am not the only one who has this. I have read at least 2 articles with people experiencing simalar problems. Anyway if you think I have something then please share how you think I might be able to get rid of it because nothing I have tried works. If I need to run another scanner that I have not tried then no big deal. I might try a restore now and see if that does anything. 

August 26, 2012 1:24:17 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Than you've read it's a Google system exploit that has no solution........

If you have a Restore Point prior to this, use it.

August 26, 2012 5:12:42 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I had the same problem yesterday on my iPad with both Safari and Chrome. Deleting all cookies fixed it.

August 26, 2012 8:59:32 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

You might try contacting Google about it and see what they say JC.  http://www.google.com/contact/

August 26, 2012 9:20:30 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

They'll just say "we don't use tracking cookies...we already know where you live...and BTW your undies are due a change..." ....

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000500   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+