Stardock
Stardock Closed for the Holidays
Jan 5, 2015 8:45

Stardock's offices will be closed in observance of the holiday season from December 19th until January 5th, 2015.

During this time there will be a delay in answering support tickets, so we ask for your patience during the holiday period.  While we will keep tabs on the tickets during the break, we will respond to them as quickly as possible upon our return.  

On behalf of the Stardock staff we wish you a happy holiday season and look forward to the new year!

Guild Wars 2

By on August 23, 2012 8:33:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Krazikarl

Join Date 03/2006
+16

I assume that a lot of us will be playing Guild Wars 2, so I figured that I'd start a thread on it.

Prerelease is this Saturday.  I personally am gone for the weekend, but plan on playing quite a bit on Monday (assuming they don't kill the servers prepping for release on Tuesday).

I guess that Vlad is playing on Tarnished Coast, so I'll probably go there as well.  My understanding is that server transfers are very pain free though, so it might not be a big deal.

I'll also probably start with a Mesmer, if anybody cares.

My understanding from people who played in the beta is that its a really solid game, so I might be playing it a lot.  I've been waiting for a non derivative, well executed MMORPG for a long time.

163 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 27, 2012 12:26:10 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Well, it is an MMO that doesn't have a subscription fee, so that's a big plus for me.  Also the combat is definitely not your standard MMO combat since you can actually run around and dodge to avoid attacks.  Plus as has been said the world is much more dynamic and alive than in your standard MMO.

August 27, 2012 12:57:13 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Yeah - perhaps I haven't really figured out the combat system already.  I like that you have a different set of spells (per se) for different types of weapons, that you get another set of them if you are underwater, etc.  And those random events do keep appearing around me.  I think either I missed something or some if it is just poorly paced... I've been going through the story doing pretty much whatever is around me to do.  At this point, I'm like level 10, but I'm supposed to be around level 17 for my personal story.  I feel like I've been doing a ton of other quests, etc, but I'm obviously pretty far away from level 17.  So, I apparently need to grind out some more stuff before I continue on in my personal story. 

I also don't really understand combos or how to do them (if that's something a necromancer can do).  I didn't know that bad things would happen in the world if folks choose not to do events regularly - that's cool methinks. 

K - so what sort of stuff that is fun do you get out of playing with folks in a guild?  I only played the original guild wars a wee bit and honestly didn't super care for it.  Are there certain things that only guilds can do?  Are their raids, etc?  If I just play with a pal, do we just wander around the area together and fight off various instances? 

August 27, 2012 1:13:43 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Guilds get stuff like emblems and weapons and armor that use the guild emblem, plus various buffs that are purchased using Influence.

August 27, 2012 1:34:40 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting SpardaSon21,
Guilds get stuff like emblems and weapons and armor that use the guild emblem, plus various buffs that are purchased using Influence.

What else are guilds good for?  Are there guild specific quests, etc?

August 27, 2012 2:15:24 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Honestly, I didn't go into it expecting to play an mmo killer or a truly new take on the genre. GW2 is an mmo, and I expected it to play as one. I'm a minor mmo junky (from UO in '98 on), and the lack of a subscription simply makes this a cheaper fix for me. 

August 27, 2012 5:29:29 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Just watched this - helped me understand the combat better.  Plus it explains how if you are with another character, you can do some combo spells.  For instance, I cast a fire wall on the ground - a guy with a bow and arrow can shoot through that fire and the arrows catch on fire and do more damage.  Sounds fun.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/combat/

August 27, 2012 5:39:55 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

pacov.2958

tarnished coast.  forgot to post..

August 27, 2012 5:42:00 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

What servers are people using?  Are we on Tarnished Coast, Jade Quarry, Fort Aspen what?  Can we Stardockians pick a server and stay there?  Another forum I'm on has been playing Musical Servers as we all tried to find one that worked for everyone, and I do not want to repeat that.  Right now I'm on Tarnished Coast with what's been said in this thread.

August 27, 2012 5:46:19 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ah, I'm Louist.1398 and on Tarnished myself. Feel free to add me.

August 27, 2012 6:58:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Guilds supposedly have a lot of functionality in WvWvW, which is where I'll end up eventually.  I don't know that they add that much to PvE>

August 27, 2012 7:12:54 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting SpardaSon21,
What servers are people using?

Quoting SpardaSon21,
Tarnished Coast

I'll be on in about 30-40 min anyway...

August 27, 2012 9:41:55 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Pacov, I messaged you yesterday in game.

If your on Tarnished Coast, me and bro have our standard Guild going. We made one in GW just for us and have done the same in GW2. Its nothing fancy, but if you want to join it for the time being till you find a better home. Everyone is welcome!!!!

We usually play under this guild till we find something that sounds fun guild wise...throw the leader tag on an alt and then play with whatever guild we want to try. Usually we came back to our own, b/c its always a there and its ours. 

I'll gonna try to add everyone to my friends list at least, my TS server is free for anyone also. And If Im on, Im willing to tag along as help.

As for what makes this MMO different than others...it really comes down to the subtle things. Like no need for dedicated roles (AKA Tank, Healer, DPS)...yeah you can still have those roles and Im sure in higher lvl play might be very useful. But you can now have more freedom to make the character you like to play even more so than other MMOs.

Dynamic quest. No need to spam LFG to do 90% of the quest out there. The simple fact the game rewards you for simply going out and wandering! A new take on combat system. Meaning full PvP with WvWvW. 

Those are what Ive noticed in my time playing, but Im no expert.

August 27, 2012 10:01:11 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Is there any chance we Stardockians could get a guild of our own running?  We're here, we have a place to chat, Carbon's got TeamSpeak for us, etc.

August 28, 2012 1:05:49 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

I created our "temp" guild.  Granted, it's been created with a silly name, but we have one started up.  Here's what I'd like to do.  I know many of you take stuff like guild wars very seriously.  Fair enough.  Let's discuss things here for 1-2 days to decide what we want to do.  For instance, who already has a guild going and would folks be welcome there?  Do we want to create a new guild that encompasses most of us?  Do we want to keep my silly guild, but put folks in charge that really care about it quite seriously, etc? I'm on board for whatever the majority want to do.

Anyway, I'm off to bed.  I found I did enjoy playing with a bunch of folks tonight - wish we could get more people in a party though.  Give it some thought and reply here.  And to clarify my stance - I don't really care if I'm the guild leader or an officer or just a member.  I'll do my part, whatever that part is. 

August 28, 2012 2:38:02 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'd like to see a new guild that encompasses most of us, preferably with a better name than Peterdumptruckians.

An FYI: guild Influence and PvP are server-based, so having us all on the same server levels up our guild faster, especially since PvP gives a ton of Influence for our guild.

August 28, 2012 11:43:31 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Honestly, I love the name. But if people want something more dignified, I'll move over.

Also, as a preorder...er(?) I have one of those one-time guild influence boosters. Let me know when we're settled, and I'll pull it out.

WvWvW Was actually pretty fun, despite how crippled melee characters are. I did better with a rifle, but I still can't really compete with hunters and elementalists, who just wipe out who legions of us. That said, I hit 20 pvping last night, and I don't really want to go back and start a new PvP character. At least not right now.

Also: Looks like the first player hit 80 just recently, and in only 32 hours. He rushed through content until level 60, then crafted from 60-80 using guildmates supplying him with resources.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119310-Guild-Wars-2-Player-Reaches-Level-Cap-Through-Crafting

August 28, 2012 3:56:38 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

I'm on the same boat with the stupid League GUILD name -  I enjoy the nonsensical aspect (and the prophesy of peter dump truck appearing to us all one day - I will likely eventually create an entire religion around peter).  Personally, I think the dumb name is far more interesting than coming up with rot like Terrabethian Dominion (or whatever horseshite that might sound "cool").  But then again, I am the mighty guild leader currently and gladly contributed to our WvWvW battles by cutting down trees and attacking coyotes.  The peterdumptruckians are less a guild and more of a cult.  I'll be passing out kool-aid later, ofc. 

I'd really like to hear wtf vlad is doing.  He was pretty hard core involved in guild wars before and I'm assuming he might already be a part of a guild.  Not sure if everyone would want to migrate to that (or if we'd be invited) or if we should just get our own thing going and assign a leader and officers and all that rot. 

August 28, 2012 4:23:17 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Urgh, a LoL name.  That right there is enough to completely sour me on it.  We don't need to be the Terrabethian Dominion, but we could call ourselves the Stardock Emergency Coalition or something else Stardock-related.

August 28, 2012 4:47:24 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Well, to clarify, its not a LoL name any more than pacov is a LoL name.  That's the name of a fellow that played Demigod and plays LoL with us from time to time.  He simply goes from game to game as peterdumptruck. 

re: stardock names - even the folks that run stardock wouldn't do that, so while i love the company and what they represent, I don't personally feel a need to throw the word Stardock into whatever we do.  I also love steak, but I don't identify myself that way... I suppose I don't vehemently oppose the concept, but at the same time, I'm pretty far from endorsing it.  Methinks the real problem is that you don't know peter. 

August 28, 2012 5:23:47 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I thought it would be a good choice since we're all discussing this on a Stardock forum and our guild would presumably be made of up people who all met each other on the Stardock forums.  The other guild I'm in named itself Hard Light after the forums where they all hang out, after all.

But you're right, I don't know peterdumptruck and I don't want to be in a guild named after someone I don't know.  If I knew Peter it would probably be okay to be named after him, but until I know the guy I'm going to have to say no to it.

August 28, 2012 5:26:41 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Allow me to introduce you.

August 29, 2012 12:48:15 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

pete can leave you speechless.   You should watch 1 or 2 of em to get an idea, though   that guy.  Then hate... then ...

Anyway, I've been chatting with folks today about guild stuff, etc, and getting some more info.  I'll share this and that tomorrow as time allows.  Night all!

August 29, 2012 12:51:55 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Does anyone know if its possible to be a part of multiple guilds?  The wiki seems to imply that you can, but you only represent 1 guild at a give time.  Eg, I join 5 guilds, I choose to represent 1 specific guild at any given time (so that guild gets whatever exp, guild points or what have you).

Other variables - vlad is playing with a group of like 6 friends and they have formed a guild.  We could attempt to be absorbed into that, but I'm not sure if we'd be welcome to do that (or if we'd even care to for that matter).

If we stick with our own guild, everyone of our little crew here will be made into "officers."  You'll be able to recruit, etc.  Recruit if you like and don't do any of that spam invite nonsense (guild blahblahblah is recruiting).  I'd prefer to just play with pals, but am cool with welcoming new folks in.  You really don't need to do anything if you are an officer.  From talking with folks, it seems like people like having some sort of elevated title.  I intend to make this ridiculous by creating ranks like Lord Hussypants, etc, at some point

Other things - I think I'd end up setting up 1 or 2 nights a week where we have "guild nights."  This would be time where we'd all try to get together to do whatever.  We did this for our LoL nights and typically had pretty good turn outs.  On the LoL note, I'm sure before too long I'm going to start jonesing for LoL in the near future and start splitting up my time a little more between the 2 games.

Anyway, my current vote would be to keep the ridiculous guild name (peterdumptruckians) - eg my stance is that I'd like to keep that name.  We have one opposed to the silly name and one that likes it but really doesn't care all that much.  All we need at this point is to get karl and dax's opinion.  If the majority is cool with the dumb guild name, then we'll stick with that.  If the majority opposes, we'll start brain storming new names and create a brand new guild and get up and running using that.  HOPEFULLY we can sort this out over the next couple of days.  And remember, you can apparently be in multiple guilds.  I'll personally be spending my majority of my time in gw2 with either the peterdumptruckians or a new guild that we will create if the peterdumptruckian name gets downvoted.

August 29, 2012 6:45:47 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

making a quick elemental vid then I'll be on.

August 29, 2012 10:10:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Crafting. Ugh.

I finally surpassed 100 in both Armour and Weapon smithing. It's a chore. Even if you mine/log every ore/tree you come across as you play normally (and I mean EVERY one!), you will still fall way short of the lower tiered resources. I've spent an addition 6 hours JUST mining copper, in areas at least 15 levels below me, so that I can work my way up to iron items.

And I'm hardly alone here! When the market opened today, copper ore was selling at 27 cp. Iron ore, which is a level beyond copper and theoretically harder to come by? 6 cp. There's a huge demand for copper because a regular play through doesn't offer adequate amounts. (The nice side benefit, though is that I picked up a metric tonne of iron for dirt cheap.

Additionally, they've designed crafting around bottlenecks, meaning you can't continue gaining unless you have a selection of rather rare and expensive materials. There's the above mentioned copper bottleneck, but more specifically, there are the rare "blue" crafting component drops from creeps. I'm sitting on a few dozen spread across 6 or 7 varieties (each conferring a different stat bonus to crafted items). These items aren't merely there to add bonus stats, they are actually REQUIRED at certain skill levels in order to continue advancing, as there are no other recipes that will carry you over to the next tier of crafting. And having a few dozen of these is nothing, when each recipe requires 8 or more of these rare components.

And glancing at the market place, these items were either completely sold out, or going for exorbitant prices, as in multiple silver. For reference, at level 26, I was currently sitting on just under 40 silver, having spent money on nothing besides repairs and cheap salvage kits (for getting crafting materials out of junk items). I've since spent much of that on iron ore to get to my current level.

Le Sigh.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000453   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+