Stardock.com

WINDOWS 8

Release Preview Bld 8400

By on June 1, 2012 7:36:13 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Picoz

Join Date 08/2001

The aero option is still available in this just-released build. But the 'intel' is it won't be in any further beta (if there is one) and not in the

RTM and retail versions. That means, as far as I'm concerned, WinBlinds is back in the loop (I lived without it on WN7.) I like aero - turn it

off and you'll see what I mean. Bland. There will be many, especially those using Metro on phones and pads, who won't want it.  I can see

the reason for that. A flat look on those devices could be preferable. But a little eye candy on a PC and notebook is pleasant. So I'm all

for a new Win 8 version of WindowBlinds (the current/latest version is 'not compatible'. I know, I tried it.)

Stardock, I hope you're on the ball..

173 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 22, 2012 11:04:54 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I've never purchased any of your products before, but I will once you have support for Windows 8. 

Specifically, these are the features I'm looking for that might not be on your current to-do list:

1) When the taskbar is at the top and you maximize a program window, Windows 7 would automatically move the program's titlebar down below the taskbar so that you could manage the program (it would scooch the program window down a bit).  This was lost in Windows 8 RTM.  Please add this back again for Win8 when the taskbar is at the top of the screen.

2) Allow me to change the background color of the initial account selection logon screen, which defaults to navy blue no matter what other color preferences you choose.  This is the not the logon screen which only shows your own account, it's the screen which shows all available accounts.

3) Allow be to change these ugly garish 1970's default taskbar and titlebar colors in Win8, including font color, gradients, and glass effects.  Just re-enable what we had in Windows 7 for colors, even if you can't get gradients and glass back, that's OK.

4) Allow me to change the background color in the Metro start screen, specifically, I want to be able to choose solid black.

Thank You!!!

August 22, 2012 11:44:36 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Now why didn't MS think of that?            

August 22, 2012 11:45:27 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

@ JimHastings. Why don't you write to Microsoft> I'm sure they can fit all those changes in just for you.

August 30, 2012 6:59:48 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Take back what I said about Classic Shell, I've just seen the new Start8, fantastic, now if Windowblinds supports Windows 8 and that, there's no reason to worry

August 30, 2012 10:31:54 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Still a month till release   i wish it would be available already i want to get rid of my dual boot again...
since its mainly booting up the windows 8 kernel and has to be restarted to get into 7 on the selection menu
Because of that im using windows8 more often than i like, to be honest i use it all the time
Just installed Start8 the latest and greatest version and i cant tell the difference ( of course windowblinds is missing )  
Also i would would like to test 2 new SSD´s on WIN8 ( the ADATA Premiere Pro SP900 Series and the Intel 520 Series ) 

September 5, 2012 1:38:12 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Well, а question here. Will WB for Windows 8 be a new major version, i.e. 8.0, or it would be 7.x? I'm thinking about buying WB, but I'm going to upgrade to Win8 in a few months, and I don't want to pay twice.

September 8, 2012 8:45:28 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I'am ready to be beta tester for windowblinds for windows8, i use iconpackager and winfx on win8 rtm and have no problems yet.

September 11, 2012 12:31:59 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I would like to beta test too. Im using windows 8 only on my machine.

using....

start8

fences beta

winfx

September 12, 2012 10:19:32 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

i am waiting for this too and am using windows 8 pro x64 from technet. would be willing to beta test

September 12, 2012 11:19:57 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I'm definitely waiting for this - I'd love to beta test, and I'm running the Win8 Enterprise evaluation, 64 bit.

September 14, 2012 7:24:05 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

You can count me in for beta testing windowblinds for windows 8. I'm running Win8 Pro 64 bit.

September 16, 2012 4:38:31 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

how do I subscribe to this thread? I did not find any subscribe button or link. Neither is there a subscribe option here in this quick reply under all the posts. Am I subscribed now to this thread?

Stardock, your forum software needs a revamp - I should not need to ask these questions .. thanks.

September 16, 2012 5:22:07 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Bookmark it. Best we got.

September 17, 2012 8:32:21 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I'm running the RTM retail version from MSDN and the present Windows 8 theme is horrific so as soon as WindowBlinds is compatible with Windows 8 I'll definitely be making the bundle purchase!

September 18, 2012 11:55:07 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Neil Banfield,

Quoting gmcpherson, reply 14My only question has to do with statements Microsoft has made around Metro and the UI in general.  They now say the UI is simply an application now.  Is that true?  If so, does that mean we might see some cooler desktop options from SD that could involve UI apps?  Just curious as it seems like it could really open up the door to some creative, and actual usable, options.

You shouldn't believe everything Microsoft say about Windows 8.

You got to remember folks, talking to, listening to, or interacting with anyone at Microsoft is the same as interacting with politicians.  They will yammer on and on about something and in the end you never know what the hell they are saying.  I took their certifications and pasted.  I have talked with several big wigs from Microsoft and five minutes in I had them both so confused they left in a huff.  So to quote the person above, "DO NOT BELIEVE A THING FROM MICROSOFT!"  They flip flop too fast. 

I have Windows 8 and I like that new big start menu called Metro which is no longer the actual name of it.  Just put all your program icons on the start menu and when you need them just press windows key and boom there they are. 

Now where is Windowblinds 8.  I'm waiting......!

September 18, 2012 5:26:30 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Stardock, here's two links which I think are of interest:

Unless you find your own way to re-enable transparency effects in 8 w/o having to rely on anything MS ..

September 23, 2012 8:11:04 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

It is a little known fact that during the development of windows xp. Stardock had a hand or at least very close ties with the development of the original whistler themeing engine. Now if memory serves Microsoft decided to revise that engine into something completely proprietary but still kept close ties with stardock which is why there was a "remarkable similarity" to the theme format.

With Windowblinds XP aka WB3 on windows xp they were able to hook into uxtheme and use it to drive much of the GDI replacement of widget resources. This trend continued into Windows Vista and Windows 7 via DWM and uxtheme. In the mean time Stardock implemented it's own DWM style bluring effects for XP versions of WindowBlinds. I am completely confident in Stardock's ability to use a combination of uxtheme/dwm hooks and their own ingenuity to pick up the slack where microsoft has faultured.

I have used Windowblinds since version 1 (albeit not always legally but as of Windowblinds 5 this was rectified) and I believe in their software and their commitment to bringing control of the user experience back to the control of the user.

Ever since I learned what windowblinds was and what it could do especially since WB3 I have been a big supporter in choice of how your computer works and looks with offerings such as IconPackager ObjectBar and ObjectDock it should be up to the user to chose how the system functions from visual aesthetics to actual useability.

In many respects Microsoft over the past 10 years was humbled and started putting the wishes of it's users first. With Windows 8 this is a return to classic microsoft practices which must be fought but it won't happen in the courts like in 2001 it will happen by offerings of these 3rd party venders such as stardock who puts the wishes of the user first and combats this tendency for companies to tell users what they want instead of how it should be which is of course the other way around.

Windows 7 was my idea, Windows 8 isn't but with projects and products like classicshell, start8, windowblinds and many more programs, tools, and utilities we will take back the system for our selves just as we have always done.

I suspect with adoption of Windows 8 being forced on OEMs that we will see the rebirth of the customization and themeing scenes in a way we haven't seen since 2002-2004!

So keep at it Stardock, bring the User Experience back to the ones who matter.. the USERS!

September 24, 2012 12:22:21 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting ToFaa,
to pick up the slack where microsoft has faultured.

'faltered' .... Spell checker ...

Windows7 was 'my idea' but heaven knows whose 8 was..... some crack-head junkie, most likely....

September 24, 2012 1:05:04 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

First, sorry for intruding on a WindowBlinds thread, Neil.

If I sound bitter, it's because I am. As a developer, I have lost ALL TRUST I ever had in Microsoft.

For me it started when they killed classic Visual Basic and replaced it with Visual Basic .NET. They lied when they tried to convince other developers that VB .NET was just an evolution of classic VB. It was not, it was a brand new language and your old classic VB code wouldn't even work on it. Even if you managed to convert your classic VB code to VB .NET, it would not work the same in anything other than very simple projects because the languages are so different. .NET is heavy and extremely slow - there's a reason why Microsoft own programmer's don't use it in Windows, after all, but still stick to C++ instead.

I'm all for evolution, but evolution is NOT a clean cut with the past, as they did with .NET and are now doing with Windows 8. With .NET Microsoft forced classic VB developers to follow Microsoft's vision of how the future should be, in the process throwing away the most popular programming language EVER and BILLIONS of man hours of experience and knowledge.

Windows became successful because it was built on an open platform (the PC) and was, itself, an open platform. Microsoft's plan with Windows 8 is to become like Apple: they want to force ALL software to be sold through them (Windows app store) and take a 30% cut on other people's hard work (all of it), but they can't do it while Windows is still an open platform. So, the solution is to kill Windows as we know it (as it happened with classic VB) and turn it into a closed platform: Windows RT (i.e.; Metro apps).

Make no mistake: they want to, and will, kill the desktop and the Win32 API.

If they succeed, no software will ever be admitted into the Windows app store that does not follow Microsoft rules (whatever they are at the time) and without Microsoft's blessing. You can all say good-bye to the kind of applications Stardock and Winstep make because mostly they provide functionality that can only be accomplished by 'bending' Microsoft rules. Like Big Brother, Microsoft will rule supreme and we will *all* lose the diversity and benefits of an open platform.

I hope they crash and burn and that Stephen Sinofsky, and all his 'buddies' at Microsoft who share the same school of thought, go back to the pits of hell they must have surely come from.

September 24, 2012 4:10:27 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

This makes Linux look better and better all the time.

September 24, 2012 6:30:58 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting JcRabbit,
they want to force ALL software to be sold through them (Windows app store) and take a 30% cut on other people's hard work (all of it)

hmm, wouldn't that make it much easier for you as a developer to sell your applications? i can see you selling 100,000s of Nexus Dock for $2 each.

September 24, 2012 6:37:31 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting moshi,
Quoting JcRabbit, reply 44 they want to force ALL software to be sold through them (Windows app store) and take a 30% cut on other people's hard work (all of it)

hmm, wouldn't that make it much easier for you as a developer to sell your applications? i can see you selling 100,000s of Nexus Dock for $2 each.

The Nexus Dock would not be allowed as WinRT apps are restricted in what they can do.

September 24, 2012 7:07:48 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

ah, didn't know they just will have "listings" for desktop applications.

so they do not want make money of any desktop developers work anyways.

smart move actually considering all the bugs in desktop apps, quality control will be much easier for them.

September 24, 2012 7:41:59 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting moshi,
so they do not want make money of any desktop developers work anyways.

No. If they get their way, there will be no more desktop apps. They want to force all desktop application developers (and users alike) to move to Win RT.

Quoting moshi,
smart move actually considering all the bugs in desktop apps, quality control will be much easier for them.

I can't believe you said this, lol. Bugs exist in all applications larger than 10 lines of code, and bugs will still exist in Win RT apps - Microsoft is not doing this to have better 'quality control' either, nor is that going to happen.

September 24, 2012 8:18:40 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting JcRabbit,
No. If they get their way, there will be no more desktop apps. They want to force all desktop application developers (and users alike) to move to Win RT.

Windows 8 is still completely open though. you can still sell your stuff on your website as you did before. and you have the additional opportunity to sell WinRT apps on their store.

embrace it, iOS app development has made plenty of people rich. else they would code freeware and shareware that nobody buys.

Quoting JcRabbit,
I can't believe you said this, lol. Bugs exist in all applications larger than 10 lines of code, and bugs will still exist in Win RT apps - Microsoft is not doing this to have better 'quality control' either, nor is that going to happen.

depends on how well they maintain their store.

in real life i have yet to find to find an app for iOS that is as buggy as many desktop applications are. i heard of an application from Stardock that crashes explorer if it is run on newer versions of Windows. such things won't happen with a well maintained app store.

the Google Play store is a completely different story though.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001219   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+