Stardock
Stardock Closed for the Holidays
Jan 5, 2015 8:45

Stardock's offices will be closed in observance of the holiday season from December 19th until January 5th, 2015.

During this time there will be a delay in answering support tickets, so we ask for your patience during the holiday period.  While we will keep tabs on the tickets during the break, we will respond to them as quickly as possible upon our return.  

On behalf of the Stardock staff we wish you a happy holiday season and look forward to the new year!

Ironclad is seeking Team Members

By on September 6, 2011 2:52:43 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Oodel

Join Date 10/2006
+6

Ironclad is seeking Team Members 

Ironclad is currently accepting resumes/portfolios for the following positions

Please read full Job descriptions:
Versatile Game Programmer
User Interface / 2D Artist / Layout / Game Art Painting- Part Time
Particle Effects Artist 

38 Replies +6
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 17, 2011 12:49:58 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Yarlen,
Quoting Oodel, reply 12Heads up Guys – Ironclad is located in the Greater Vancouver Area of British Columbia Canada- we are getting some applicants saying “hey, I live close by in Michigan, and would love to make games with you” … Sure! if any of you Hosers want to take off to the Great White North (although you will find Vancouver winters more grey than white -if you’ve been to PAX west – think Seattle with fewer Starbucks).

,eh?

Having now been out to your neck of the woods, I feel there are sufficient Starbucks.

That would depend on your definition of "sufficient".  Starbucks is on 3 out of every 4 corners in Seattle, in Vancouver they are on only 2 out of every 4 corners.  Clearly, this would be unacceptable to some programmers.  Eh!

September 17, 2011 9:06:01 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

one day!

I will go through college, and learn programming, and be able to click on one of those links!

the day will come!

September 18, 2011 12:41:54 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I am full load of knowledge about Programming, I know Java, Visual Basic, Turbo C, Assembly Language "blows up your mind", HTML and PHP.

I also know how to use 3DS Max.

Learning those or every languages is very difficult if you learn them all! Like me, most of the time I combine some but not most of the languages or the codes that gives me errors. And because of that, my programs goes to  debug process and only to find out that my codes is mix.

Example:

I will code a program that is coded in Visual Basic and then suddenly I take a break and then program to Java then Break, after that... those two programming languages will mix to Visual Basic or either Java, now that is really making me angry learning too much of the programming languages. Though they say that I must learn more than 2 Programming Languages. Geez, I advise you to concentrate into one to three Programming Language or suffer like me ""Brain of Thought".

But now... I am concentrating in 3DS Max, I want to learn how does it works and good news! I am 50% of knowing it! Thanks for those Tutorials in Skynet "Google" and Youtube.

Reminder: I am still 19 years old and a college student so don't think that I am already graduated. Hehehe! 

November 17, 2011 10:05:43 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

You dont need to graduate for anything.. just start doing practical designs, 3d modeling , playing with forge tools and modding. submit your creations with your crapy resume and 80% of the time they pick the guy with the best creations.

bye bye unemployment status

Note: It doesn't mean stop studying in school and make mods. Study & mod 

November 17, 2011 2:45:40 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

No discussion about people hoping to get jobs in the computer game design industry is complete without this gem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGar7KC6Wiw

November 17, 2011 5:13:44 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

That ... is amazing!

November 17, 2011 7:48:45 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

It seems mostly true too. In fact that could be applied to modding in my opinion.

November 18, 2011 12:52:29 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

But my idea is great.

June 13, 2012 5:27:47 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I work for IBM and make good money, but I really hate my job. I wish I could quit and do something I like, even if the pay is less. You only live once right?

And yet, I can't get myself to quit just due to financial reasons. 

January 10, 2013 7:31:48 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

If you guys are still looking for someone in about 4 1/2 years from now. Im willing to help out whatever way I can.

February 26, 2013 2:41:30 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

?

February 27, 2013 2:30:03 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The forum is weird right now.

Edit: Now it's all better, and that guy is still there. And people have given him karma. Just because he is a polar bear.

August 13, 2013 8:24:59 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Hello, I have loved video games sense I was 7 or 8 years old. I've played all kinds, really into strategy. Now 32, mother complains I'm on games too much. I have always considered video game design or programmer, and this post caught my attention. However, I don't have any education with programming, or coding. I do create custom maps for many games in the past, currently playing Civilization V, trying to design a Mod of the Pacific Theatre of WWII, with west coast of N.America (including Mex, US, and CAN) on the for Eastern side of map, HI, Guam, Iwo Jima, Midway Isl, all scattered in middle, fairly close to where they would be on a real scaled map. And all of the Japanese Isl, including every twisting river, and awkward peaking mountain across the island almost to detail as I can get it. I'm only half way done with it, working on it regularly, with the objective of making a 2 player scenario spanding a large map for Civ V, with only Domination as a victory option, almost definitely needing a Powerful navy for either side to conquer; in theory will duplicate the WWII Pacific scenario, and when finished, I intend to publish in the Steam community for Civ V for all to share. Asside from that, I've spent hours and hours writing 20-30 pages worth of ideas, of which I think would be awesome ideas to improve the game of Civ V, if the developers would ever read it. None the less, I think to myself all of the time, "If I could only work as a Game Developer/programmer", what I could do for the industry, bringing out my ideas for so many games. 

Than, I come across this forum. So I ask again, with little experience, but an ENDLESS LOVE for video games, and unimaginable creativity, is there anything that Ironclad or even Stardock, can offer me to start off?? Where I could work PT learning some at the basic level, while returning to school for an education in the Game/Software developer/programmer world, to improve my services with the company?

Thanks for any input, or comments,

Derek Phelps

BTW, I live in AZ. Although I hate the heat and endless summer days, and would love to move somewhere with nicer weather; I have kids here, with an Ex wife, who will not allow me to leave, and moving could be difficult. Although with the right attorney, and good opportunity, I could probably make it work. Please, Let me know what I need to do!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001093   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+