Stardock.com

Objectdock problem

By on March 27, 2007 7:18:06 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Loren K Ols...

Join Date 07/2004
I purchased Object Desktop a while back and the only program I either do not understand or do not know how to use is ObjectDock. I know how you can change the themes in ObjectDock using Theme Manager. But, this does not work for me. I go to Theme Manager and tell it load a theme and absolutely nothing happens. I have the file but Theme Manager refuses to load it. What could I be doing wrong?????? I have tried all kinds of files download from Wincustomize but, nothing works, could someone please help me and thank you!!!!
19 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 27, 2007 7:27:52 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Check this forum post out. You will find links to tutorials. -  http://www.wincustomize.com/articles.aspx?aid=143433#1154612
March 27, 2007 7:54:37 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
After you have followed the tutorials that Hankers provided...the docks that you created are the Themes..after setting up the docks with the icons of your choice open the configuration window of ObjectDock and select Themes...then select ...save theme as...use a simple name for it.....There are no Themes there until you save your current Theme. Now every time you change or rearrange your docks you save the Theme. Now if you choose to reload a theme you saved just do the same steps except.. select *load theme

Just some notes...if you hide the windows taskbar as I do...you can always access it by using the Windows key on your keyboard....and you can rightclick on a blank area of a dock and get to the main configuration window by selecting... dock settings ....add shortcuts, change position of dock etc....This is all available with the plus version.....Enjoy

It's My Secret
March 27, 2007 8:38:01 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
Ah, I think I understand you. Let me try what you have said and come back if I still have problems.
March 27, 2007 8:48:10 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
Ok, I made a new dock and went to themes in ObjectDock and said load new theme. All I get is backround and default. I know there are lots of other themes in my OBjectDock Plus theme directory but, I can not access them, why???????? Thank you!!!!

Actually I think there is something else wrong. Let me try this. Say I use the Wincustomize browser and go to Wincustomize and download a new ObjectDock theme right. Now the problem is I can not find a way to apply that theme.
March 27, 2007 9:26:02 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
There are no themes in OD plus until you make them You set up the docks the way you want...then you must save that theme...then only after you have changed your docks but want to go back to a theme you already made & saved do you go to load theme.... You download & unzip all the icons , backgrounds & docklets to make your own themes...sorry If I was not clear enough.

Read the tutorials to show you how to set up the different themes.....which include the background..colors, icons & docklets that you have downloaded from the galleries & put together.

It's My Secret
March 27, 2007 9:31:25 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Perhaps themes and backgrounds are getting mixed up here?
March 27, 2007 9:53:22 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Yes Bebi.....I notice that in many instances now...thought I would try to follow through with how Loren described it....Even a Windowblind alone is now called a theme by many instead of a skin ...If you can say it more clearly Bebi please do

It's My Secret
March 27, 2007 10:13:59 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Ok...let's try this...

Background - changes the *appearance* of the dock, i.e. going from the default sorta transparent one to something like this. That is a dock background and there is a tutorial on changing them here. Note: this only changes the background, it does not do anything about changing the icons, you do that yourself. Dock backgrounds gallery.

Themes - packaged set of icons and dock background (I think). I save my own theme just so that in case something happens, all my shortcuts and icons are there. Personally I prefer to setup my own than download a packaged one, honestly I'm not familiar with downloading pre-packaged themes.

Is changing backgrounds what you're trying to do?
March 27, 2007 10:46:22 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
Ok now I am getting somewhere. Pretty much Bebi that is one of the things that I can do ok. Where I am getting confused is I download some stuff from Wincustomize or Stardiock for ObjectDock, and I guess I have figured out that there is not exactly an automatic install for those things. Say like ArmyStar1png.zip for one. So I guess I got to do me some reading right????????
March 27, 2007 11:10:40 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Could you give a link to that file? I'm not quite sure what you're trying to do.

I did give a bunch of links for ObjectDock in the guide that Hankers posted in reply #1, those should help you out.
March 27, 2007 11:50:43 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
Ok,
I went to Wincustomize.com and downloaded something called verizon.zip from a search in the ObjectDock section. It is a .png file which I copied to the backrounds directory in the ObjectDock directory. Went to the ObjectDock setup appearance I believe and it was nowhere to be found.
March 28, 2007 12:14:50 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
Ok,
from what I gather now this probably is not a program I would get much fun out of using even though I bought the Plus version last night. From reading the Text file in the ObjectDock background directory, I now can see or at least think I do that say once you download a file from say Wincustomize for ObjectDock, then you have to set up that file which is likely more than I want to get into. Now not that I am unhappy in buying the Plus version of ObjectDock, I do believe it would have been a little nicer had I been aware from Stardock that ObjectDock requires a little more work than pushing buttons shall we say, in that you the user have to define things before they actually work. I am at least a little disappointed in this experience but, I can live with it. I just think it would been nicer to let everyone no that there is a lot more to this program than just pushing buttons.
March 28, 2007 12:15:35 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Ok, what you downloaded was an icon. To get a background you need to download them from the Backgrounds gallery that I linked to in #8. It should download as a zip file and you unzip that to the objectdock/backgrounds folder (I also linked to the guide on how to do that). OD: How to change the dock background.

In response to #12: everything requires a bit of work, if there was no work involved what's the point? It's actually quite easy if you take the time to read things to understand how to work it.
March 28, 2007 12:23:06 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
Ok,
thank you Bebi. I am just frustrated. And I guess I am having trouble finding the right stuff. If it takes all night I am going get this yet. I am sorry for my rather unfair rant since I think that Stardock is a great company with great people. This is the only program I have bought from them that I have had trouble with!!!!
March 28, 2007 12:32:13 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Once you get all the reading done on how the program works and how to tweak it, it becomes second nature (I don't think I even saw the guides until *after* I figured it out for myself). Practice makes perfect.
March 28, 2007 12:58:51 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Once you get used to what the parts are and where they to, it's a lot easier.

Hankers' link in reply 1 - the section on Object Dock - go back through those, Corky_O has some good stuff there.

1 – Backgrounds = inside a background folder is basically a .png graphic and a background.ini (tells ODock how show the background)
2 – Docklets - similar to DesktopX widgets
3 – Themes - there pretty much aren't any themes per se, except those that come with ODock (basically for a visual example of how it can look) - ODock is too easy to individualize and themes can consist of shortcuts to apps other users may not have
4 – Images - used for 'icons' on the dock - can be .png, .ico, .jpg, or .tga

If it takes all night I am going get this yet.

Don't hurt yourself.
March 28, 2007 8:07:01 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
Ok,
backrounds no problem now though I found one or two that did not work. Docklets no problem for the most part either. Looking under ObjectDock in Wincustomize there are many other catagories to choose from and this is where the problems started and somewhat still are. Though I have a little more understanding of these now. Such as computer themes and so on. This will be for another time I guess as these are apparently ones that require more than I want to give at the moment. Pretty much everything else seems straight forward with ObjectDock Plus.
March 30, 2007 9:40:46 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
For all the complaining I did, I must admit now that ObjectDock is just fine. Thanks to all who helped me thru it. Anyway ObjectDock for me is a very nice addition and I am more than happy with it.
March 30, 2007 9:58:41 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Glad to hear it Loren.
Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000750   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+