Long time lurker, first time poster:
Groupy 1&2 don't recognize Unreal Engine 4/5's sub-windows as Groupable windows
They have distinct titlebars and entries in Taskbar so this is a bit strange.
I imagine it behaves the same way with other programs with similar UI design patterns (eg, a lot of business-facing software works this way)?
My personal thoughts (not bugs necessarily, but big usability concerns)
I'm a little cautious and so abstaining on Groupy 2 until its more developed
Particularly, I don't see Tab Bar Shouldn't Extend to full window Width in Groupy 2.
I'm really big on the tabs being clear and visible with that limited width: My use-case is I end up losing track of what's where, and seeing the length of the bar from its silhouette solved that problem almost immediately when I solved the option.
- User-scenario is some minor issues with eye-sight/sensory difficulties, needing to keep track of many things at once.
- Solution enabled by software using programs with vertical tabs in conjunction with Groupy's Horizontal tabs
- It works supremely well with Microsoft Edge's vertical tabs, which has been wonderful for my research productivity.
- I noticed quickly that when a program's own tabs are in one orientation.
- Gut response is Groupy should be on the other/opposite to prevent confusion.
- Domain Background is Human Factors Engineering & Game Design
Groupy 2 leans heavily into the Windows 11 look, which I'm trying to avoid (Flat UI is problematic for those with sensory problems, or for attentional decision-making). I use WindowBlinds to opt out of it in Windows 10. My concern is if Groupy 2 is bringing it back, it'll conflict by nesting a chosen style in Windows 11's outer appearance. Not good.
I find Groupy 1's very compact and efficient appearance which is inoffensive blends very well with most skins really well to be very effective: I don't want to part with it, unless I know Groupy 2 can also look like this.
This is still Windows 10. I was feeling nostalgic is all.
The two essential features I'm waiting on in Groupy 2 before committing:
- non-full window width
Some other features which would be nice but aren't essential:
- Custom tab icon
- Custom tab colour
- Left/Right/Bottom tabs (per group)
- Unreal Engine 4/5 compatibility
For now, I'll stick with Groupy 1 until Groupy 2 gets the two essential features.
Thank-you for your time & consideration
Keep up the good work 👍
I was using ObjectBar to organize tools and folders for my workflow for many years but it was discontinued and while I like the tabs, ObjectDock doesn't really come even close. RIP/Long Live Object Bar, you were ahead of your time in some ways, even if your editor was a bit clunky.
You will be dearly missed.