I am writing to you because I have encountered an issue with IconPackager. The reason is that IconPackager does not work properly when trying to set icons in the Control Panel Category. Here are the exact steps on how to reproduce the problem:
1. Create a custom icon pack, and set custom icons in the Control Panel -> Control Panel Category. (see the screenshot below)
2. Apply and save this icon pack.
3. Revert back to the Windows default icon pack.
4. Apply the custom icon pack again and observe that the icons in the Control Panel -> Control Panel Category have become blank and in the Control Panel they are set to default icons. (see the screenshot below)
5. Try to set back the custom icons in the Control Panel -> Control Panel Category. Apply and save this icon pack again.
6. Observe that some icons in the Control Panel Category become very noisy and some icons become blurry. Also, after opening the "Change icon" menu observe that some other icons in this icon pack are displayed very noisily. (see the screenshot below)
I followed the instructions posted here to solve the problem myself.
Solution 1. In IconPackager, under Settings > System Settings, I pressed 'Rebuild Icon Cache'. It did not change anything.
Solution 2. The BAT file did not change anything.
Solution 3: not applicable. I do not have "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\IconHandler" key on the computer.
Solution 4: sfc /scannow said that Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them. After rebooting PC the problem did not disappear.
The problem is encountered on Windows 10 21H2, build 19044.2251.
I believe I have provided enough information to reproduce the problem and I am looking forward to hearing from you.