My experiences with Star Control Origins so far
So, I've played around with SC-O a bit, and I'm loving it...well, most of it; it's very addictive, it feels like it was made by people who loved Star Control 2 (the best game of the series!), it feels like the source material was respected, which is awfully rare these days.
But there are a few bits that I feel could use a little refining, almost entirely in the ship-crafting area.
- It'd be nice to have a widget or something which indicates which way is forward
- Descriptions of what each weapon does; I'm still trying to figure out one of two of 'em. For example, the Gravity Wave; I haven't been able to find a use for that yet.
- Let us choose the pilot for our ship, rather than just having a generic image
- The ability to rotate objects by grabbing them and moving the mouse, rather than solely through slider bars
- Being able to adjust colors with R,G,B sliders, rather than just swatches
- Multiple engine/thruster mounts in order to maintain symmetry. Also, the ability to re-size both; sometimes the engine is gigantic relative to the size of the ship
- Rear-firing weapons! Star Control had the Spathi with their classic BUTT Missiles, and SC-O desperately needs weapons which can be fired backward.
Most of this is coming from someone who has done her fair share of CGI modeling, so they're a bit technical, but I think they're fair.