we plan on An XBox One release. Ps4 later.
Hello! I'd like to bring up some concerns about the console release. Now this not some kind of "PC Master Race vs Console Peasant" thing! Its just some observations and I'd like to hear your thoughts on them
1) Second game on consoles? Other than ElfSquad7 way back in the day I can't recall an console release Stardock has done. As you've been on Steam and are used to all the advantages of it, I'm wondering how you will handle the disparity of how they handle games.
2) Retail release. This may not be a giant issue given that even consoles are semi-doing digital only releases. But I"m sure you're not super excited to go back into retail. So would the console release be a retail thing or digital only?
3) Patch scheduling and cost. I don't think this has changed but to release patches on XboxOne/PS4 still costs money a lot of money. Referencing your previous post about long tail revenue on LH
Given the fairly high cost of patches (10K or more each?) how do you envision maintaining the game long term. I feel like this would end up falling into 2 possible categories
a ) Payday2 released on consoles but had significatn problems keeping up with patches on the console side. THe PC side got all the love while the consoles languished.
b ) Or you end up with the typical patching cycle like Skyrim/Borderlands2 of maybe one a quarter if you're lucky, and they only do super conservative break fixes because they don't want to screw up the patch due to the distribution cost
Maybe there's a middle ground but I find it hard to see how that would work. You're running a business not a charity so doing patches every week doesn't seem financially viable?
4) Modding Support. I feel like modern Stardock releases have been big on allowing modding and this has been a great boon. Would a console release hamper things on that front since consoles cannot mod? Currently referencing the Xcom2 PC only release as an example.
5) Inevitable Consolie-itis Comparisons. Of course it being a beloved franchise already would be a difficult thing to manage expectations by itself. But now every decision, every bug, every thing that is different, wrong, etc will likely draw the typical "It was dumbed down for consoles". This on top of the inevitable "This isn't Star Control 2 in 1080p/4k! YOU RUINED MY CHILDHOOD!" threads
Like I said I have no beef with a console release. I care not for the "PC Master Race", or which console is 'better'. But I would like to hear your thoughts about these things.