I don't use premade maps, only random, so I'll give some more suggestions for a DLC/expansion pack
- Dinasties. This way, we can play with normal, few or no heroes. The techs for the heroes should be readapted too...Mmmm, what about the level 7 hero tech for allowing a marriage? With that, you need to invest in that tech to give sense to the dinasty system...
- Ships. Maybe a way would be by doing a coast tile called something like "natural port" where to build a dock. It is not necessary to be in a city, now with the outposts system. This could add interesting strategic options. Let the world throw a few "natural ports" and the strategy is on the table.
- More monsters and creatures. With ships, water creatures and amphibians could be added. What about flying units? More, more monsters are needed...
- I like the idea of monsters that can create new lairs, and spam more monsters. Now, once cleaned, the world lies too empty...
- Independent cities. Ok, it is a minor detail, but it gives more life to the world.
- More weapons. I miss a magical bow (requiring crystal) to compete with staves. And for heroes too (the lightning bow is too powerfull, and the others are crappy).
If you see the posts like "spears vs swords vs maces", there are many interesting ideas there to update these weapons.
- New units and traits. I have been thinking in how to introduce new different units, I got this idea (I wish I knew how to mod): By traits (like the slave or the hench)
* Magic trait. This trait allow the unit to use magic. So we can create new units: Monk (with healing and shielding spells, that can be traits too). Magician (or any name you like) for offensive unit. Spells can be inserted via new traits too.
Using traits for magic units allows balance, as you will not spend traits in +HP or defence for them, making weak units, but with spell power (that is what is supposed to be). Traits with spell could be implemented in many ways, i propose each trait gives 2 spells: a low level spell that doesn't need mana (asssuming that a bit of mana comes from the magic trait), and a high level spell that requieres mana. That is 6 new traits (one for each magic school), plus the "magic trait". And the spells are already created, so it is only inserting them as traits. Example: Fire magic trait: flame dart (no mana req., 2 turns CD) + Fireball (mana requiered, 3 or 4 turns CD).
A new trait (+X spell mastery) can be added too: want a multi-mage, or a specific more powerfull mage?
* Beast trait. The unit is more like a beast than a humanoid (I don't like the word "mutant" as it is overused). This way, new traits and skills from the lore can be used (like spitting venom, web, and many others). The wages of a beast trait should be reduced in a 50% at least, to give them a reason to be built vs normal units...
- New mounts. I've seen the spider mount in a hero...it could be nice that a quest gives you a spider nest. Mmm, do you think a bear might be used as a mount?
- New terrains. Where is the artic/tundra/snow? Where is the jungle?
- New factions? Well, I would prefer more differentiation on the current factions first. Give them more unique traits to make unique units... Maybe special buildings would be a good idea too.
Well, many ideas here and there with more use than only maps... I hope you can find any usefull