I clearly understand your points.
Maybe you are right, flawless games get boring. I already notivce even great games like kingsbounty cannot tempt any more in its newer generations, its all just clearing maps from stuff without great challenge.
This game mentioned above i won't finish, because i just realized all the 8 enemies will pay now for a non-agression pact, haha .
The cheapest with 42 faction points pays 102 gildar already for 50 seasons of peace. Havent checked the others, i calculate with several hunder gildars i get from that. Then i could reinvest in trade treaties etc. until my gold chambers are overflowing. And my only problem atm was a lack of gold.
Also what really hurts is the recognition that the big majority of heroes isnt useful but hurting my progress (XP divide). I could disband now everyone useless, just keep the ones with the governor trait and the high level ones, form up full stack armies with ordiary troops to get the max xp beenfit for the hero and then go for the monsters.
Truer, i created a this way a scenario where i can act as i like and choose the point of attack myself.
I think i would strengthen the ai if i kill all thse raoming monsters. Maybe it would trigger them to go after my cake .
@derek: okay, maybe one solution for people looking for a challenge without the need to code much:
1) restrict saving for all difficult levels to the end of the turn. You can make it appear as something valuable, like "you may save, my lord". This will privide a feeling of reward. My turns took more than 30 minutes in the end, consisting of maybe 7 fights on average. If one can only save at the end of the turn, reloading battles cannot be done anymore.
2) the traits i took are clearly overpowered in the combination scout (unrestricted moves), stealth (not hindered by monster), adventurer (free heroes) + betrayer (max heroes).
I would get rid of the adventurerer trait altogether, heroes should be costy!
The Stealth trait is also too good. Maybe change it into x% of monster not attacking you depending on level of the army leader?
The Scout trait is also to good, i for one would always choose it. Speed = Time = Victory.
3) restrict the numbers of heroes a human + ai player can have to lets say 10. To enable the player to deal with surplus heroes, implement a feature for each race to deal with excessive heroes. The undead (Tard?) could sacrify it for a health buff for one army for 3 turns e.g; The quendar (magic guys) could earn 10 mana for every level of the enemy hero (no, wait, then one could basically buy mana, bad idea)..you know what i mean
4) Maybe get rid of heroes in the wild completely and provide the heroes after the player has built certain buildings. They could all be level 1 only forcing the player to level them up. This way low level heroes wont get obsolet.
5) AFTER the restriction of heroes to 10, we then could get rid ofthe xp dispersion between heroes. Why not treat a hero as a better version of a standard unit? I read the henchmen already don't share xp, why not do this with all heroes. For there will be always max 10, the player wont have puer hero armeis all the time.
I remember HOMM 3 (or 4?) trying nboth featuers: one allowed putting heroes in your army, the successor allowed just 1 hero per army as leader. While i love the idea of actually fighting with the hero itself, i always found having many heroes in one army somehow lame. And they were eating xp as well.
6) If you keep the current settings, at least disbale the option to talk to heroes, i.e. move 2 turns (turn would be over) but still one can rightclick on the adjacent unit and recruit it. As level 9 hero, one can then move 4 squares again maybe even discovering another one, forming a chain of recruits ;(
7) another idea for hero restriction: only 2 heroes per city. That forces players to found cities/progress slowly.
8)make the monsters move more! If there are monsters wandering everywhere, one has to clear the wilderness before exploring. That would be great. Maybe provide 2 level 1 heroes together with the sovereign from the start.
9) While xp dispersion is annoying, having the possiblity to get the same amount of xp for every heroe for a quest is equally unsatisfying. It lead MinMaxer like meto wait before the abilty to have a full stack is researche d, only then to do the quest with max heroes in one army, all getting XP. One should never have incentives not to enjoy xp, becuase x-hours later in the game other units could get the same xp for free.
Why not link a quest to one hero? Ony this one can get the xp. Noone else.
These are all changes probably not hrd to implement, but they would achieve a lot. The game would be challenging as hell on high difficult levels, for the ai will always have a stronger army with its resouce buff. Maybe one could mitigate this buff after the above changes as well, making player and ai more equal.
The player loses one big advantage not able to repeat every fight. He should at least have the chance to restart a whole turn.
PS: Blackmantle: i didnt choose the Tarth race, i of course created my own. I thought about providing lots of hit points to my hero and therefore took the Krax ttrait of 10 defense bonus below 50% hit points. Sadly i couldnt buy the other trait increasing attack for 9 below 25%
The cruel trait is maybe not so much of a disadvantage. Compare this with -20 spell resistance, why do i get +1 with cruel ? If i intend to max my hero, i would always go for this one
Okay, long story, to make it short: great game, and with some changes it could get even better.
- much more mosnter types, more artifacts, less heroes, higher level cap for monsters and heroes (if there is one, just saw a level 15 dragon, have never met the kings of the wildlands though.
So free the palyer from voluntarily restraining from save-reloading and i am fine with it. Not doing something that is only 1 click away is to tempting.
If i follow your arguments, this would be like having the "cheat 1000 Gold" button right on top in the menu
So to sum it up:
while its nice to have the power to create your own random scenario, overpowered traits will ruin the game experience.
I also wouldnt mind having one 1 hero (the sovereign) and no options for other heroes. Implement that as an option without choice to get heroes as well, and the game will be great (or reduce heroes to say 5 altogether, available from the start.
My finger are bleeding, time to sleep. Thx for all the hints etc. Great game, but reality forces me to deinstall it, takes too much time . I will definitely buy a successor, so keep up the good work!
ps: the savegame i would love to post, but my Heroes Name ist actually something like my real nickname, and I want to stay anonym of course..If it be changed, please tell me so, and i will follow-up with the file asap..
So no offense meant, cheers,
DeadlyJulia, Queen of Reload and Ruler of The Savescums....(spelling might be flawed, but i am to tied atm to check the text again, it has to do )