operating system: windows 7 - 64 bit
• i have noticed several occasions where clicking on something in the dock will no longer allow me proper control of windows afterwords until another action is performed [such as i've been hitting the start menu button on my keyboard]. for example, while checking whether the bugs i've already listed before were still present in this version before writing them down, i've lost the ability to type in this window until pressing the start button. in itunes, i've basically lost all functionality until pressing start.
• the start menu, when accessed by the start menu docklet, still does not display correctly on the right-hand side though it works perfectly when brought up by normal means or shortcuts [such as using the keyboard to call it]. simply adding a docklet that calls the start menu up normally rather than making it hover near where the icon is positioned in your dock would seem an acceptable compromise. since the docklets are generally bundled with object dock from the wincustomize library rather than created by stardock, it might be time to stop relying on the docklets made by other people and add the functionality in yourselves.
• the new change icon dialogue for tabbed docks is simply horrible, but it seems extra ridiculous that there are 2 different dialogues for changing an icon within the same program. this could be a tolerable change though in the end, as long as you quit changing what folder we are supposed to store these icons in. at least, that is if we don't want to induce headaches each time we change or add one. we used to be storing them in the program folder, then it wanted to default it to my documents, now we're back to the program folder?
it seems reasonable to say/request...
• tabbed dock icons still "zoom/grow" by having duplicate icon images on top of itself; leading to ugly effects and becoming noticeable with certain shapes and all transparencies. other mouseover options would be ideal as well, especially an instant skin specific indicator/arrow type graphic, similar to a running indicator. we should at least have the zoomer dock options such as rock and glow though.
• it's fine and dandy to have aero peek on running shortcuts [that would show a running indicator], but why is aero peek not shown on running tasks [when the dock is set to display running tasks]?
• there's no clear way to disable the terribly slow minimize/maximize [to dock] animations or disable thumbnails.
to stop the slow window animation we have to click in troubleshooting [of all things] "temporarily disable all use of thumbnails on windows vista". what do these two things have to do with each other? telling it to stop vista thumbnails stops the animation sluggishness, but it doesn't stop "thumbnails"...
to stop the thumbnails, we need to check [in troubleshooting again...] "temporarily disable all special window-event hooking. yoda is infinitely easier to understand than this.
why is there an option to make the already slow animation even more unbearably slower when shift is held instead of an option to make it not be slow at all, and without having to hold down extra keys every time you click? not to mention that regardless of whether i check that box or not, holding shift always only makes it animate even slower.
• some running programs do not respond well to right clicking on their icon to edit.
- trying to change photoshop for example led to the alert that "ObjectDock cannot access information about this window. It is likely that it has been ran as Administrator while ObjectDock has not.", in the last version it would tend to just crash on certain programs though.
right clicking the icon a second time yields the...
dock options >
dock icon properties...
being shown twice.
i've not seen photoshop cause a lockup or crash in this version yet, but that was the case last time.
- as another example, yahoo messenger when right clicked will call up a contextual menu but all the text aside from "dock options >" will not be visible.
• flyout menus- as a list can still take ages, and when displayed as flyout items can often crash OD entirely, even before reaching an excessive amount of items to display.
• i still see no way to change the clock hands; a bother because they are very low quality image files and pixelate badly at larger sizes. a 256x256 quality version would take care of that, but being able to skin the hands as well would be ideal.
• in tabbed docks, the +/- buttons look out of place/off-centered on many skins due to not being able to have reflections like the other icons they sit beside.
• tabbed docks are still utterly useless for users like me because of faulty and limited accessibility. the fact that tabbed docks are the only separation between free and plus, but that even on the 3rd version of what is being called "beta"... we still can't use hotspots, we still don't have any implemented ability to set up a hotkey, and even the "show in taskbar" option doesn't actually work in objectdock's taskbar, making absolutely every floating dock utterly worthless. it makes me question, at what point is the money that i've paid for this app going to yield worthwhile and usable results.
• when dragging an icon from a zooming dock to a tabbed dock; the reflection from when it was in the zoomer does not disappear and will remain at whatever edge [bottom for me] it was originally at.
• still limited in displaying running tasks or displaying the contents of the tray, but not being able to show both in one dock. it's no fun playing whack-a-mole with docks because you're forced to have more than one just to have all your items actually be accessible.
• i still have delays in a zooming dock showing up when accessibility is set to normal time to time, or requiring that i bounce my cursor on that part of the screen several times to get a reaction; it does seem less frequent this time though.
• for some instances, such as with photoshop, clicking an application in the running tasks that is minimized will either restore or maximize the program, but clicking on it when the program is maximized will not minimize it [it will minimize if it is not maximized though].
• reflections and thumbnails in zooming docks jitter up and down by a pixel or two as you scroll through them, not matching up with the smoothness in animation that the icons have.
• we still need the sublevel separation feature which isn't present in this beta, or the last few versions of OD at all despite being an original and heavily relied upon feature when OD came out. this still leads us to not being able to tell which icon is our messenger contact list and which icons are the conversation windows without playing more whack-a-mole guessing games.
• text in tabbed docks is still lacking, especially where skinning is concerned. while not really a "problem", it would still be nice to be able to tell the text to display differently when it's active and when it's inactive. even with the user being able to change font or color, it is reliant upon a tab "button" to indicate which tab is active.
• allow us to set what the defaults are so we can safely remove skins we do not want sitting around. right clicking on a skin and setting it as a default would be acceptable, as would it just using whatever skins are available; having an invisible dock when you create a new one is the bother.
• tabbed docks lack the transparency features enjoyed on zooming docks.
• we need a "stacks docklet" equiv. even for those who like the flyouts, they're useless and require you to wait ages for it to cycle to the one you want if you have more than 5 or 6 items in one.
• changing the running indicators again is a step in the right direction, now how about changing flyout arrows in the same manner rather than having to overwrite files?
• tabbed docks suffer from lack of alignment options. instead of forced left at all times, align right and align center seems a good compromise since tabbed docks would be difficult to make stretch like zoomers.
• a lot of programs are doing as i mentioned with photoshop when trying to change the icons; despite any privileges you give to OD, it simply will not allow you to change the icon. it's especially annoying now that system icons [such as folders] for explorer.exe show up in the dock as low res icons even when you tell OD to use high quality versions.
• object dock fails to change the icons for all applications of open office. the dialogue opens, but after picking your icon and hitting "ok", nothing changes. the same goes for any other method of trying to change them.
• by far my worst instance at the time being is that if i load object dock i cannot close explorer windows with the X button. i have to unload object dock and close from the windows taskbar.
:: :: :: ::
problems from the last version that i haven't seen/haven't been able to reproduce in this version, but am uncertain are "resolved"...
• i've yet to notice any flickering in the dock or outside of the dock with this version, but it was never a constant occurrence for me in the past.
• in the last version... when changing an icon i repeatedly had a yellow balloon pop up and say "try out the search feature". nice the first time, but it was in the way of the scrollbar and icons the next 50. still trying to get used to having 2 different dialogues for changing icons, but i haven't seen it in either so far.
• i've not yet had picture viewer or any other program load behind the other windows. here's to hoping that remains the case.
• in tabbed docks, the text displayed when hovering over an icon would sometimes remain displayed even when the mouse has been withdrawn from that item. it also tended to display behind the dock or behind an application.
:: :: :: ::
in the end the only good thing i can say is that, at least it has been very handy to be able to close object dock quickly again, since that's about all i want to do with it currently.