Not in along time have i played a game which i feel have so much potential as Demigod does.. It kinda feels blizzard-quality over some parts (like the models in the character selection screen, thats some great eyecandy right there) and the gameplay is truly GREAT... when it works. And i must admit today i have had many successful games in skirmish, and they started up faster than usual, so i can definitely see some progress here.
However, in its current iteration, i fear this game is abit too shallow and meager on content right now. There are numerous areas which needs to be improved, beside the multiplayer issues and the much-needed bugfixes, if this game is gonna have any lasting appeal after a few months. I will here list the areas i think are the most critical.
1. Multiplayer lobby improvement (UI). Gives currently too little info, like you cannot see what chars ppl have chosen before the game starts(skirmish and pantheon games), their ping, ranking/exp/win streak etc without alt-tabbing and looking them up on the website. This should all be visible at the start of the game, during the map-loading phase at the very least, so that we can get a general idea of what we are up against.
2. Improved Pantheon. Currently you cannot even see how much you have contributed to the ongoing pantheons, in the future you need to get a report after everygame and a stats button where you can at anytime, from the lobby, check your contribution and the last 20 played games with results etc. Also there need to be an "ongoing" tournament beside the pantheon, as pantheion are down several days at a time after each win with the current design.
3. New demigods. Of course this would be nice, with 2 more, however right now i think this have lower priority than the points above for the lasting appeal.
4. New Maps. The current maps are very good i must say, every single one, but since they are so few in number it gets very repetitive fast... 2-4 more are needed and soon.... 12 maps to choose from would be great, and last alot longer than 8 i think.
5. Item combinations/upgrades. This would cause more options how to configure your demigod and give more unique playstyles possible, rather than like now, where everyone is striving for the same items and will eventually get cookie-cutter builds up.
6. More incentive to stay in the game after first death. I see alot of people right now just quit if they get killed in the initial rush or some people leave after 2-3 deaths being replaced by ai. If you can find no way to give more incentive to stay (and please dont consider favor points, as everyone will eventually have all favor items anyway), just offer the "victory" popup window as soon as there are only ai:s left on one side. This way we dont have to stay 20 mins extra to bash the AI citadel all the time... this gets old fast.
7.In game channels, chat channels, where you can have clan rooms, get allies etc. and 2v2 arranged teams, 3v3 arrnaged teams going etc.