Stardock

Is there a Vista-compatible systemtray docklet?

By on February 26, 2008 6:58:25 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

: z :

Join Date 01/2008
The system tray docklet I was using (ObjectDock Tray 2.00 by Melchior Moos) worked great under XP SP2, but my new computer has Vista 32-bit on it and the "remove hardware" icon doesn't work.  Clicking on it no longer gives me any way to remove my devices (nothing happens when I left-click it), and right-clicking on it just locks up ObjectDock.

I'd like to have a tray docklet that runs in the same dock as my other icons without having a separate or tabbed dock.  I'm using the free version (for now), as the Plus version I bought had problems on my previous system and the system tray didn't work on it anyway.

Any suggestions?  Thanks!
8 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 26, 2008 8:51:44 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
I don't know about a system tray docklet but I have a suggestion as to how I have it set up.

I actually place a second Zoomer dock on the top of the screen and remove all the links then add the system tray. I shrink it down to where I can see it but the icons arn't blown out. I find this to be very effective. It isn't for eveyone but I enjoy it.
February 27, 2008 8:17:22 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Seabass:

Thanks for the reply. I ended up doing something similar with the Plus version I bought for my old computer since it requires a second dock for the system tray anyway. But it was annoying (to me) to have a separate dock for that. I like the simplicity of having everything all in one place, in plain sight, and not looking weird (yes, I'm a touch anal-retentive). Unfortunately, at least with the Plus version's system tray it didn't work anyway, and from what I've read a lot of people are still having that trouble with Vista.

I haven't had time to test or confirm this, but the system tray docklet appears to be working now, and I'm speculating that it's because I've been leaving the computer running instead of putting it in sleep mode. I've been avoiding putting it into sleep mode because Vista seems to have trouble coming back out of it. My PC vendor has released a BIOS update to fix the problem, so maybe when I get that installed that will fix the docklet problem as well. I'll post my testings when I actually have time to test it. : )

In the meantime, if anyone knows of any alternative system tray docklets, it'd still be worth trying them out too. Thanks!
February 27, 2008 12:57:28 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Try this: Tray docklet
February 27, 2008 1:59:32 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Thanks Bilbo1930, but that's actually the one I'm currently using.
February 28, 2008 1:47:25 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
The BIOS update appears to have fixed the Sleep mode issues and my system tray appears to be working now, even after resuming from Sleep. Will monitor for a while and see if it continues to work.
March 3, 2008 11:06:18 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Update:

The docklet is still running stable since the BIOS update. Functionally, everything is in order. The only issue I have now is that sometimes icons will show up in the docklet that don't appear in the actual system tray. But since this issue is only cosmetic, I'll consider this issue resolved.
March 3, 2008 4:17:16 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Good to hear. If you still have troubles please let us know at the support line (support@stardock.com)
March 3, 2008 5:12:34 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Thanks, Seabass.
Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000203   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+