Stardock

How do I get my Windows XP icons back??

By on October 7, 2005 3:51:48 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Lasse K

Join Date 10/2005
Hi

I used Icon Packer to change my icons, but when I used the Default Icons button to change it back, it only changed some of them back!

Can anyone please help me?

Regards
Lasse
9 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 7, 2005 10:37:39 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
It happens to my computer too, I just rebuild my cache and repair my icons. And still my .zip folders will either not change back to XP, or it changes to the .cab file icon, and sometimes my recycle bin won't revert, I just know where to find the XP icons on the computer and reset them manually.

For XP icons: My Computer -> C: -> Windows -> System32

In the System32 folder your XP icons have a file name of .dll

But hey, although I know how to work around it, I'd rather not have to, so if anyone knows the answer to how to fix this little problem post it, it's kind of a pain to do and it keeps me from using more skins than I'd like to.

Posted via WinCustomize Browser/Stardock Central
October 8, 2005 2:15:36 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Okay. Thanks
October 8, 2005 2:21:07 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Can I change them back without buying Icon Packer?
October 8, 2005 6:12:40 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

For normal restoring of the default icons after changing with Icon Packager, you would do the following:

Start Icon Packager > Tools > select "Restore all Icons" > click "Yes" in confirmation pop-up dialog > click "OK" to apply > wait a few seconds for changes to apply.

If you are restoring to default Windows XP theme, you would then "Right-click desktop > Properties > Themes tab > select Windows XP in the Theme drop-down list > click "Apply".

Note - if the "Apply" button is not available, you can click Windows Classic once, then click Windows XP to reselect and activate the "Apply" button.

This will restore the theme to the control of the native "themes service" in Windows XP.

October 8, 2005 7:57:01 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
I tried that, but fx the Word-documents are just looking like the default Windows-icon.
For some reason it don't changes it back to the wordicon. It's like that on some other icons too.

I just want it as before I used Icon Packer.
Is that possible?
October 8, 2005 3:10:14 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The word document icon issue has been going on for a while (you are probably seeing the "wordpad" default icon for a ".doc" file).

I have not heard back yet, but this one in particular is being pulled from the "WindowsNT\Accessories" sub-directory, and may be set that way because not all people run Microsoft Word.

I sent a screenshot of the correct and incorrect icons to Tech Support, so hopefully these issues will be addressed soon.

In the meantime, you can do the following:

Open "My Computer" > Tools > Folder Options > File Types tab > select the file type you want to work with > click "Advanced" button > Click "Change Icon" button > navigate to the icon you want assigned to that file type.

In the case of the Word document, navigate to the Word ".exe" file (for Office XP, it is found in "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10" folder) - open the executible file and you will see the icons available for assignment.

Repeat for any other icons that show this type of issue.

You might also send an e-mail to: support@stardock.com to give them a heads-up that it is a frequent issue with many users.

October 9, 2005 2:42:53 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
That is something I can use.

Thank you very much
October 9, 2005 4:33:13 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
I tried that, but fx the Word-documents are just looking like the default Windows-icon.
For some reason it don't changes it back to the wordicon. It's like that on some other icons too.

Brian Harper is already knowing well all about that. For some reason, fixes seems to haven't been done (perhaps everyone is working on a "working" WB5 version ? )
November 15, 2005 2:38:04 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

All of my icons have been restored except for the Local Drive icon.  It's now the 'default' icon.  I have tried editing the registry and even another program.  How do I get the normal Hard Drive icon back?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000563   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+