Stardock.com ‚Äč

Newbie--Who's A Changed Being

By on July 11, 2005 9:24:36 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Southern Am...

Join Date 05/2005
K, while looking at a friends iBook, I loved the fact that he had this set up on his system, or something similar (I could be talking about two diff prog, for all I know) to it at least. I wanted it for XP. He pointed me in this direction. He said that he's never downloaded anything from here, but he found this while looking for a program for his mom.

Anyways, I'm getting off subject here. I'm always leery when I download a program that takes me away from the norm (and in this case, the norm goes waaaaaaaaaaay back to Win 95). This time it was completely different. I love the fact that I can have shortcuts to all my favorite programs (Netscape, PSP, Yahoo Messenger, etc), and actually SEE them. I hated the fact that Windows taskbar tended to either be cluttered, and hard to sort through, or overpowering. No happy medium, at least not for me. Not to mention the bonus security, being that my dad now cant get on my system, b/c he's got no clue how to use OD. He's already asked me what happened to the start button. *que evil, "dad is so old fashioned" laugh*

I'm still using the basic version, until I get used to it, and then I'll decide if I'm content w/ it, or wanna go pro.

I do have one question tho. Is there a way to make it show when my dial up (I live in a small farming community, lookin at, at least another two years before I can get anything faster) has connected?? I wont be surprised to find out that it's prolly really easy to do, and I just havent played with OD enough to figure it out yet.

Thanks in advance...
7 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 11, 2005 10:05:39 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
I don't know if the free version has a systray dock option, and even if it does, you're probably using the running tasks dock, and can't use both. I use OD+, with a running tasks dock, a systray dock, as well as others. With the systray dock, I can see my dialup connection's "status" icon.
July 12, 2005 7:10:11 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
My new favorite reason for loving OD. I'm really picky about my wallpapers. I'm the type that cant stand folders, and icons cluttering up the image. OD lets me have all my stuff at my fingertips w/o being intrusive.

Heh, I'm turning into quite the little advertisement here. Showed the difference between the windows taskbar, and OD to several friends, all who immediately demanded to be told WHERE I got it. I dont know if they downloaded the application or not.

I still have one question.

What took me so long??
July 12, 2005 7:41:56 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
If you think your having fun now....wait until you get the full blown version!
July 12, 2005 7:52:17 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
K, so I kinda sorta figured out a way to fix my dial up problem.

1. Move OD to somewhere besides bottom center on my screen.
2. Tell OD to leave the taskbar showing.
3. Open the taskbar properties and select auto hide.

I know it's silly to have both running at once, but at least this temporairly solves my problem.
July 12, 2005 7:56:39 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
there are some docklets that allow u to have a access to system tray i think not sure though
July 12, 2005 5:44:42 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Indeed there is one. I am now SUCH the happy camper. This lil docklet lets me keep an eye on the basic stuff.

http://www.wincustomize.com/viewskin.aspx?LibID=29&SkinID=3916

a small side note.....my dad is convinced I've hacked into some program and have destroyed windows. my mom finds it hilarious because now he cant get on anyone's computer (major drama, last time he did it to "look through ebay", my brother wound up reformatting his hard drive. ), because my brother and I both have OD. However, my mom thinks that she could actually learn to use a computer w/ this program, vs the traditional taskbar. She likes the idea of just having "buttons" for stuff that you use all the time.
July 17, 2005 2:42:25 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
It took me awhile to get the hang of it, but until I can afford to buy OD+, having the taskbar on autohide so that I can access the Systray is my best option.

I have both Theme XP, and WindowBlinds, and love playing with them. I think I change my theme at least once a week.

Now if I could just get up the nerve to fiddle w/ the Boot Screens. Having read ppl's problems, I cant make myself try it out, out of fear that I'm gonna mess up my system.
Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000328   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+