The Winstep Nexus dock is a FREE dock for Windows. Every feature you’d expect from a dock, including widgets, mouse-over effects, skins, drag-and-drop, and many others not available in most other docks, such as live icon reflections, in-dock system tray, blur-behind effects, and much more. Completely customizable, with thousands of different backgrounds freely available online, Nexus is fully compatible with skins for all 3rd party docks.
Supported Languages: Bulgarian, Catalan, Chinese (Traditional), Chinese (Simplified), Croatian, Czech, Dutch, English, Farsi (Persian), Finnish, French, German, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Portuguese (Brasil), Russian, Serbian, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish.
Nexus runs on the 32 and 64 bit versions of Windows 2000, XP, 2003, Vista, 7, 8.x and Windows 10.
v16.2 is another monster release, with hundreds of changes and additions. Focus was again on adding even more functionality - but this time with a ton of new eye-candy thrown in for good measure.
What's New? Highlighted Features:
- New Battery Monitor module (Nexus Ultimate/Winstep Xtreme only).
Monitors your battery or UPS power status, provides useful information regarding the type and condition of your battery, logs power events, provides voice and sound notifications regarding battery status and can run 3rd party applications, execute internal commands (such as Hibernate or Sleep), or issue screen and audio warnings whenever the battery level reaches specified thresholds.
- New clock module associated alarms to display pop-up reminders, wake you up with music or run programs at specific times, once or periodically.
Please note that the free version of Nexus supports a single alarm, while Nexus Ultimate supports an unlimited number of alarms.
- 10 new amazing mouse-over, launch and attention effects (Nexus Ultimate/Winstep Xtreme only)
Shake, Fade In, Fire, Energize, Swirl, Ion Storm, Ignite, Bubbles, Plasma and Wormhole.
Flash and Jump are no longer restricted as attention and launch effects and can now also be used as mouse-over, launch and attention effects.
Please note that the new Shake and Fade In effects are also available in the free version of Nexus.
- New Effects Panel to help you visualize, select and quickly configure all your mouse-over, launch and attention effects.
- Improved the smoothness of docks when changing their size or moving to a new position. Inserting items into a dock is now much smoother too.
- Added new 'fade-out the old/fade-in the new' effect to when the user changes an icon or a document thumbnail is rendered.
- Nexus just keeps getting faster!
The Aero Glass automatic background blur function is now about 8 times faster and uses 4 times less memory than before, with no visible loss of quality (Windows Vista/7 only plus 8/10 with AeroGlass installed).
Enable double caching of icons in the Performance Settings dialog of Nexus to increase the rendering speed of a magnifying dock by up to 40%, at the cost of very little extra memory usage. A must-enable feature for users of systems with weaker CPUs who wish to enjoy the benefits of a magnifying dock combined with other effects.
- New settings added to the Performance Settings dialog to allow better user control of the quality of the effects vs. speed vs. memory usage.
- New 'CD Control' and 'Lookup IP Address' internal commands.
The CD Control internal command allows you to know at a glance what type of media is currently inserted into a CD-ROM drive, and opens/closes the CD tray when clicked on. If you have more than one drive installed in your system you can select which drive the command applies to via the Item Properties dialog.
The Lookup IP Address internal command returns the system's public IP address plus the user's current location and latitude/longitude coordinates, using Geo IP location technology.
- Windows can now be minimized to the dock if the dock is configured to show currently running applications.
- Icons of running applications on the left side of the dock now also display the number of open instances.
- The Weather module now uses the sunrise and sunset times provided by the weather feed - when available - to decide whether to display a Sun or a Moon icon.
- Weather information is now immediately updated after returning from Sleep or Hibernation.
- Automatic retrieval of the user's location by the Weather module when running for the first time has been vastly improved.
- Left clicking a dock control icon now opens Nexus Preferences. Please note that there is a short delay while the dock makes sure the user is not trying to double-click the icon instead (which would hide/collapse the dock).
- Reorganized the User Interface so related options are now usually grouped together, even though that meant repeating some settings throughout the UI.
- Improved existing support for high-DPI systems. The size of dock icon labels now also reflect current DPI settings.
- Improved User Interface integration with Windows 10 when running under this version of Windows.
- The Winstep Update Manager can now hide specific updates so the user is not notified again until an even newer version comes along.
- ... many other performance and stability improvements!
Winstep Web Site:
More information about Winstep Xtreme:
More information about the Winstep Nexus dock/Nexus Ultimate: