Stardock

Game crashes at approximately 5000-6000 units

By on November 29, 2015 10:08:31 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

DeltaAgent26

Join Date 11/2015

I have been playing a fairly lengthy skirmish. (4-ish hours +/-)
I was able to block the AI into just a few nodes again.
I have been taking over, and building extractors and power amps across the map.
I have been building land units and sending them to an uncontested part of the map non-stop. Just to see how many I could produce.
I have about 5500 units now, and the game is crashing about every 2 minutes. Was fine until I reached about 5k units then started crashing repeatedly.

I tried reloading a savegame and within two minutes the game crashes.

This happens in both DX11 and DX12 on medium settings with MSAA off and AA off.

My system specs: 
OS - Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
MOBO - Asus M5A99FX Pro 2.0
CPU - AMD FX-8350 8-core @ 4GHz
RAM - 32GB XMS3 DDR3 @1600
GPU - Dual MSI GTX 960 Gaming 4G in SLI (Using DX12)
HDD - 5x SataIII 6.0 GB/s WD HDDs

19 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 29, 2015 10:45:56 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Mine crashes at 3000

November 29, 2015 11:54:24 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

A random thought: are you using a paging file? If so, turn it off. If not, create one.

November 30, 2015 12:40:42 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

I think I got my army to around 8000 logistics before crashing. That's what? around 5000 units.

November 30, 2015 1:11:35 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

More Vram, or more system ram than me?

November 30, 2015 1:59:56 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Quoting Kazzerigian,

A random thought: are you using a paging file? If so, turn it off. If not, create one.
turning it off would be a bad idea as apparently Ashes needs one to be active to function.

November 30, 2015 3:22:37 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Can you download and run the tool below:

http://sd.stardock.com/Support/supportToolTest/SDSupportTool.exe 

Then attach the .zip that's created and send it in with a ticket to support:

http://esupport.stardock.com/index.php?/Tickets/Submit 

Please include the save game if possible.

November 30, 2015 4:06:29 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Quoting tatsujb,

Quoting Kazzerigian,

turning it off would be a bad idea as apparently Ashes needs one to be active to function.

I'd heard something like that before. I'd like it proven - and suppose I could do that m'self. 

November 30, 2015 6:48:05 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Quoting Kazzerigian,

Quoting tatsujb,

Quoting Kazzerigian,

I'd heard something like that before. I'd like it proven - and suppose I could do that m'self. 

Ashes does require a pagefile to exist. I just ran into that specific issue on a brother's computer where we had upgraded him to an SSD for the first time.  Disabled the pagefile and you start getting errors at the main loading screen.  Re-enable it and voila, he's back online.

Link to Stardock support page discussing the pagefile (virtual memory):

http://esupport.stardock.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/530/175/general-ashes-of-the-singularity-troubleshooting

November 30, 2015 10:57:42 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Issue is the empire tree. We are running out of  UI resources. Will fix.

November 30, 2015 11:14:35 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

The empire tree is the issue requiring a paging file?

I hope so. Requiring a paging file when folks are running 12, 16, and 32GB of RAM is wildly counter-intuitive and damningly slow.

November 30, 2015 11:20:40 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Huh?  The CRASH is due to the empire tree.  You don't need a paging file if you have more than 8 GB of memory. I don't use a paging file.

The problem with paging files are the people with 8 GB of system memory who turned theirs off.  Ashes needs several GIGS of memory on big maps and if the OS and other stuff is using say 4 gigs then obviously you need a paging file if you only have 8 gigs.  But if you have 16 or 32? No way.

November 30, 2015 11:21:56 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Kazzerigian,

The empire tree is the issue requiring a paging file?

I hope so. Requiring a paging file when folks are running 12, 16, and 32GB of RAM is wildly counter-intuitive and damningly slow.

I do currently have a page file, being that I Have HDDs (platter drives) but it is relatively small. I suppose I could increase the size of it to see if it affects the game one way or another. But usually I have it turned off being that I have 32GB of Ram in my system.

There are motherboards out there that have up to 128GB of system RAM. A pagefile SHOULD NOT be needed with that much RAM. unless of course you use all that memory for video editing or something..

Also pagefile on SSD is a very bad idea. In other games, such as Dragonage Inquisition, if you have a pagefile on the SSD, it will repeatedly make 20GB writes to the drive seriously compromising the drive's life span.

December 1, 2015 11:19:11 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

Huh?  The CRASH is due to the empire tree.  You don't need a paging file if you have more than 8 GB of memory. I don't use a paging file.

The problem with paging files are the people with 8 GB of system memory who turned theirs off.  Ashes needs several GIGS of memory on big maps and if the OS and other stuff is using say 4 gigs then obviously you need a paging file if you only have 8 gigs.  But if you have 16 or 32? No way.

Thank you for the clarification!

Anyone using a paging file should be limiting it's size manually instead of letting the OS/applications manage it. Just my $.02.

December 1, 2015 1:07:30 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

Frogboy thanks for the clarification!  I would suggest perhaps an adjustment be submitted to the Stardock Support information.

December 1, 2015 1:18:43 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

_update_

I increased my page file to 8 GB from the 800 MB that it was at. I tried a hardsave from an earlier game where I started crashing at 5000+ units.

It crashed as soon as I loaded it. Page file either made it worse, or had no effect.

I definitely think this should be reported and investigated. But for some reason I cannot log into the support site. If someone else could create the report for me it would be much appreciated.

December 1, 2015 1:38:40 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

The support site has it's own login, it's not the same as your Stardock account.

December 1, 2015 6:47:04 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Island Dog,

The support site has it's own login, it's not the same as your Stardock account.

Ah. No Wonder. lol. and.... awww man, another login credential I'll have to remember....

Time to breakout the 10 page spreadsheet to add another one.

Thank you for the clarification, by-the-way. Cheers.

December 1, 2015 7:05:59 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Quoting DeltaAgent26,

_update_

I increased my page file to 8 GB from the 800 MB that it was at. I tried a hardsave from an earlier game where I started crashing at 5000+ units.

It crashed as soon as I loaded it. Page file either made it worse, or had no effect.

I definitely think this should be reported and investigated. But for some reason I cannot log into the support site. If someone else could create the report for me it would be much appreciated.

Has nothing to do with the paging file.  We're running out of UI handles. Bug. Must fix on our end.

December 1, 2015 7:40:22 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

Quoting DeltaAgent26,

_update_

Has nothing to do with the paging file.  We're running out of UI handles. Bug. Must fix on our end.

Thank you for the update. Cheers, and keep up the great work!

Can you post back here when this issue has been addressed? 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0004140   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+