Stardock

WindowBlinds 8 and Windows 10

Not compatible at this time

By on August 10, 2015 10:08:06 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

The_Gear

Join Date 10/2013
+96

At this time WindowBlinds 8 is not compatible with Windows 10. We are currently reviewing it for Windows 10 but do not have an ETA for any possible update.

If you are experiencing issues, please contact support for assistance:

http://esupport.stardock.com/index.php?/Tickets/Submit 

To check the current Stardock Software compatibility list for Windows 10:

http://forums.stardock.com/469435/page/1/ 

Locked Post 154 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 12, 2015 4:56:55 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting beachbummer,

Well, for my 2 bobs worth - I upgraded a couple of days ago from 7. It went like clockwork. I didn't lose any files, I like the flat, minimalist look & on restart there's an option to boot into previous OS mode. This is good because some of my older (win 95 - don't laugh) games aren't compatible. File transfers are faster, regularly getting 100mbs & above. No real issues yet, so overall I'm quite happy.

Oops! I tried the older version option & got a 'disc hardware configuration' error message.

August 12, 2015 8:52:16 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting XxrkylexX,

for the people who are smart enough not to waste their money on purchasing object desktop

XxrkylexX ...there-in lies the problem.  'Smart' people see Object Desktop as NOT a 'waste' of money at all, but the perfect safeguard to all those uncertainties that is the Microsoft/OS 'experience'.

With an OD subscription you can [like me] download the 0.99 ver of Start10 immediately and actually save Microsoft's OS from being just plain 'silly'.

I no longer have to guess where Microsoft has misplaced bits of their OS....as proper service has been restored...

August 12, 2015 9:51:04 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Haha! It's called learning the new OS and adapting. In a sense, people who want the OS to stay exactly the same I'd say aren't that intelligent. We're in 2015 and the OS still has basically the same format it had from many years ago because people like you can't adapt. Even though Microsoft wants to pull us in another direction (the future), they can't because people always want the same thing and if something gets placed in a new spot, they lack the capability to remember where that was once they've moved away from it. If people spent less time playing with their mobile phones and in the real world not disrupting their attention span, maybe we wouldn't have so many baby ass whiny self entitled brats.

August 12, 2015 10:00:50 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting XxrkylexX,

people like you can't adapt.

Oh...I can adapt just fine.  What I can't do is put up with morons who think new is better because it just is, OK?

I prefer a bloody good reason for 'change'...and not just because it MUST be for the Generation ME who cannot remember the last millennium.

If you look at some of the old Windowblinds skins I did...yes...last millennium...the min-max-close buttons were on the left...

Why?

Because I can adapt just fine....

August 12, 2015 10:07:01 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

August 12, 2015 10:27:39 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Oh my God! They were on the left side of the window?!? That's insane!!! I think if I were to use those themes, I might lose those buttons. How did you manage that?!

Jesus! LMAO

August 12, 2015 10:58:44 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The 'thing' about Windowblinds from its inception [that a lot of people overlook] is that it is not 'just' for aesthetic improvement [or variation] to the Windows GUI.  It also provides improved functionality, not just with the commonly known 'roll-up' but perhaps more usefully...Z-order assignment to open windows.  Once, the addition of Media Player controls and program menu lists, etc. meant essentially the whole OS could almost be managed via one open window....no need for a task bar or systray at all - if you didn't want it.

Being 'radical' with button placement often suited alternate shell use [minus Explorer.exe] better.

But the principal was....give the user the option to be different - by choice.... and NOT to have differences FORCED upon every user, no matter what their preferences might be.

Example.  Windows 8 was a total flop. Why?  Simply because someone thought the way they must force people to go is to treat a workstation like a single-running-app touch screen smart phone.

They GOT IT WRONG.  Stardock's response was to restore SENSIBLE options to the public Win8 user.... a case of 'power to the people'.

This was/is all good for Stardock, but it SHOULD NOT have needed to happen.

Microsoft should have known better...and the proof of their error was the subsequent 8.1 and panic-run to Win10.

Anyone installing Win10 can definitely look forward to the USER-OPTIONS restored to them by Start10.

It's not about being adaptable...it's not about being forward thinking/innovative/trendy...it's about CHOICE....

August 12, 2015 11:32:18 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I think it's hilarious that you have yet to say anything about that Decor8 program that flopped too. What do the people that purchased that flopper get in return for purchasing a program that flopped as well? Does Stardock even take that into consideration or do you guys just want us to keep buying your software without any incentive for the floppers you've released?

Decor8 could've been an awesome program but it just wouldn't work. I loved having the touchscreen start menu from 8/8.1 and also having the traditional start menu thanks to Start8 on my desktop. Good job! But the fact remains, money wasted on Decor8.

August 12, 2015 12:21:20 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting XxrkylexX,

I think it's hilarious that you have yet to say anything about that Decor8 program that flopped too. What do the people that purchased that flopper get in return for purchasing a program that flopped as well? Does Stardock even take that into consideration or do you guys just want us to keep buying your software without any incentive for the floppers you've released?

Decor8 could've been an awesome program but it just wouldn't work. I loved having the touchscreen start menu from 8/8.1 and also having the traditional start menu thanks to Start8 on my desktop. Good job! But the fact remains, money wasted on Decor8.

What is wrong with Decor8?

It works just fine on Windows 8 and 8.1.  If you have been having issues let me assure you that is not normal.

August 12, 2015 12:24:10 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

August 12, 2015 12:32:46 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

This post is about WindowBlinds 8 and Windows 10 compatibility. 

If you have an issue with another application, then start a thread in the appropriate forum.

August 12, 2015 8:13:33 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I tried windows 10 , but i windowblinds do not work properly with, the same with deskcapes 8 , i uninstall windows 10 until they have an update for windows 10, with windows 10 the task bar was black i just ad the start button not the rest of the task bar , for deskcapes 8 no animations i think it's not working with windows 10.

August 13, 2015 10:14:16 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting megaluc42,

I tried windows 10 , but i windowblinds do not work properly with, the same with deskcapes 8 , i uninstall windows 10 until they have an update for windows 10, with windows 10 the task bar was black i just ad the start button not the rest of the task bar , for deskcapes 8 no animations i think it's not working with windows 10.

This is known. 

August 13, 2015 11:16:40 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Island Dog,

If you have an issue with another application, then start a thread in the appropriate forum.

XxrkylexX ...that was directed at you...

August 14, 2015 10:16:55 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I've tried WindowBlinds 8 with Windows 10 and the biggest issue that someone needs to solve before we can have windowblinds 10 is to resize the buttons created when something is pinned to the task bar. At the moment a set of icons that, unskinned, only takes up a third of the bar suddenly widens into something so big it triggers the scroll bar buttons as soon as anything other than Default skin is applied

August 14, 2015 10:50:44 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting samareth,

I've tried WindowBlinds 8 with Windows 10 and the biggest issue that someone needs to solve before we can have windowblinds 10 is to resize the buttons created when something is pinned to the task bar. At the moment a set of icons that, unskinned, only takes up a third of the bar suddenly widens into something so big it triggers the scroll bar buttons as soon as anything other than Default skin is applied

To repeat...Windowblinds 8 [or any other prior] is not compatible with Windows 10.

Please do not try.  Win 10 is an entirely different OS GUI to Win 8/8.1 [and any other prior]...

August 17, 2015 10:40:10 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Jafo,

Quoting ervikson,

I waiting for the WindowBlinds for the  win10 here to. How long will the take?

I am sure it will be a little while more...so a little more patience is needed...

Just a general reminder to all....this is a Support Forum Thread which is subject to more strict posting rules/standards of conduct than the General Forum sections.

Save you some time. If history is any indication it was 8-10 months after the release of Windows 8 when we got a beta of Windowsblinds 8.

August 17, 2015 10:59:10 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Jafo,

Quoting Island Dog,

XxrkylexX ...that was directed at you...

just to state as well,since when was decor8 a flop? it allowed me to color it and add my own background whitch was the intention of it

if you had deskscapes though it was more awesome because it allowed the start screen to have an animated background

its not our fault if you dont know how to work a program

August 18, 2015 7:54:32 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting XxrkylexX,

Haha! It's called learning the new OS and adapting. In a sense, people who want the OS to stay exactly the same I'd say aren't that intelligent.
Moving a bunch of stuff out of Control Panel into Settings is just arbitary!  Metroizing IE into Edge and leaving out lots of the features -- is stupid!  Creating a half-legacy/half-metro Start Menu that's the worst of both worlds -- another change that is stupid!  Not likeing stupid changes is a sign of intelligence, not the other way around.

We're in 2015 and the OS still has basically the same format it had from many years ago ...
This just plain doesn't make sense.  What is an OS "format"?  If you mean the desktop, you're completely off-base here.  W95 was very different from Windows 3.1, and the same was true about XP, then ME, then Vista, then Win7, then Win8.  The only deskop that is much the same between OS versions is Win10 compared to Win8.

because people like you can't adapt.
NOW -- you're being just plain insulting!  You have now way of knowing what anyone is like who posts here.

they lack the capability to remember where that was once they've moved away from it.
A clear nonsequitor -- why does not remembering where some was before affect anyone's ability to know where it is now? Another comment of yours that does not make sense.

NEW is not necessarily BETTER -- new is just DIFFERENT.

August 18, 2015 6:11:45 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I have two Win8 machines with WindowBlinds8 that still seem to work with Win 10. It isn't the latest 8.12 version which won't install. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I have to say that not having to do anything but get back to work on those two machines was a great relief. The GUI was mostly locked down to classic windows style re Win 7.

I don't mind paying for software upgrades that make for a more useful computer and doesn't force me to work with an interface more like someone buildings' hall signs.

August 18, 2015 7:36:14 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting MichaelBallai,

I have two Win8 machines with WindowBlinds8 that still seem to work with Win 10. It isn't the latest 8.12 version which won't install. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I have to say that not having to do anything but get back to work on those two machines was a great relief. The GUI was mostly locked down to classic windows style re Win 7.

I don't mind paying for software upgrades that make for a more useful computer and doesn't force me to work with an interface more like someone buildings' hall signs.

What does your taskbar look like?

You should find icons are way wider than normal and the clock is probably missing and the entire bar is unskinned.

August 19, 2015 3:16:01 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I did the Windows 10 Upgrade from 8.1 and have no issues with Window Blinds 8. I am about to do a clean install so fingers crossed. The only thing not working for me was WindowFX, but understand a fix is imminent.

August 19, 2015 8:23:12 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

With the release of the new insider preview build 10525 yesterday which is a build that is buggy as hell and has GUI changing features.....

Build 10525 offers a couple of changes, but the biggest addition by far is the introduction of updated color options. If you want to change the default color for Start, Action Center, Taskbar, and Title bars, you can now do so easily. The new feature is potentially buggy, and disabled by default, but you can toggle it on by going to Settings > Personalization > Colors

This may or may not slow down development of a new Windowsblinds.  They cannot code for it if Microsoft is changing features in the way the GUI may look, touch, or feel.

August 22, 2015 3:00:51 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

@ mozzler

So why all the whinging about a product you have not paid for, as for cancelling your subscription I don't think that you will be missed, and as for buying a few pints with the money you may save, from your immature comments and ignorance, I suspect that you have not yet reached the legal age for purchasing alcohol.

there is no need for that! you are rude and ignorant.

@jafo

you are the moderator are you not? why has mozzler not been pulled up about his abusive comments?

grow up the lot of you. you are like silly spoilt little boys

August 22, 2015 4:10:00 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting slflembo,

@jafo
you are the moderator are you not? why has mozzler not been pulled up about his abusive comments?

Because the comments were addressed by Island Dog about 2 weeks ago.  We are past it all, and, I might add... NEED to stay that way, particularly as this is a Support Forum thread.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000406   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+