Stardock

Win $1,000 in the GalCiv III Ship Designer Contest!

By on November 5, 2014 9:22:31 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Island Dog

Join Date 06/2003
+759

UPDATE 11/18: We've picked the eight finalists, so check your email. Voting starts tomorrow!

Get cracking on the best darn ship you can put together, because we’re adding eight finalists’ designs to the release version of Galactic Civilizations III – and entering those eight finalists into a community-voted bracket that awards $1,000 to the ultimate winner.

Submit your ship to the contest here.

Here’s how it works:

Anyone can enter the contest – you don’t even need to personally own a copy of the game. Simply submit your design via screenshot, and the Galactic Civilizations III team will hand-pick eight finalists who will have their design included in the final game.

Once those finalists are chosen, we’ll run a community-voting bracket where you all get to determine who advances toward the grand prize of $1,000.

The schedule looks like this:

• November 5-16: Submissions are open.
  • November 16: Submissions close.
  • November 19-21: The bracket begins with Round 1, Matchup 1. Voting is open to the community. Whoever gets the most votes advances.
  • November 22-24: Round 1, Matchup 2 is open for voting.
  • November 25-27: Round 1, Matchup 3.
  • November 28-30: Round 1, Matchup 4.
  • December 1-3: Semifinals, Matchup 1.
  • December 4-6: Semifinals, Matchup 2.
  • December 7-9: Final Round! Fight!
  • December 10: The ultimate winner is announced.
  • December ??: Beta 3 released, adding ship-to-ship combat, the Yor faction, and much more to the game!

Good luck, and don’t forget to check back for the voting rounds that begin on November 19!

#      #      #

FAQ

Can–
Let me stop you right there and suggest that you read the rules of the contest. Many of your questions are answered there.

Is the contest open to non-US residents?
Yes, though every entrant is responsible for knowing the laws of the jurisdiction where they live. All offers void where prohibited.

Can I submit multiple ships?
Yes, but we reserve the right to be annoyed if you spam us, which probably won’t help your chances of being selected. Probably try to stay under five submissions.

Can I submit a ship I designed a while back and posted to the official forums/Steam community?
Sure, any Galactic Civilizations III ship qualifies.

Can I submit a ship made in the Galactic Civilizations II editor?
No. Only ships that can be successfully imported into Galactic Civilizations III are eligible.

I missed the submission deadline. Will you consider my ship, pretty please?
Nope, sorry.

I have another question that isn’t answered here.
If it truly isn’t answered in the rules (it probably is), ask it here or by tweeting @stardock.

FAQ UPDATE 11/6

What size ships are you looking for?
Any size. Whatever supports your artistic vision.

Do you want bare hulls, or finished designs with lasers, shields, etc?
Hulls, generally. That's most likely how any winners will be included in the game, anyway.

Will ship designs based on TV shows, movies, etc. be considered?
Probably not. Not because they're not awesome, but because Stardock doesn't want to dive into those particular legal waters.

What about ships that we imagine might work in a not-yet-implemented faction (Yor, Thalan, Iconian), since those ship parts aren't available yet?
We welcome any submission that uses any set of parts, or any mix of any parts. Really what we're looking for are awesome, original designs of all kinds.

Should we avoid moving parts since you asked for screenshot submissions?
Absolutely not! Just record a movie of your ship in motion and upload it to YouTube (FRAPS is an easy way to do this, though there are a billion different ways to record and upload to YouTube these days) and include the link in your submission -- we have a text field there specifically for this reason. 

Does that mean our ships need to be animated to have a chance of winning?
Absolutely not! Animation is just another tool in your toolbox. Use it or don't; it's all about whatever works best for your particular design. 

Locked Post 59 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 14, 2014 9:50:50 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

So where can I get the ship designer if it says you don't need a copy of the game to enter?

November 14, 2014 10:26:07 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

erischild ouch, feel for ya, no saved games or anything to get it from?

November 15, 2014 10:53:02 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

This is really cool.

November 16, 2014 12:54:07 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

what Can I use to get a Video ??

November 16, 2014 6:42:34 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Hi, can we please get a submission confirmation email? Detailing number of unique submissions made?

November 16, 2014 11:20:09 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Ok that was fun. Good luck everybody! 

November 16, 2014 11:50:46 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

The suspense is killing me.

November 17, 2014 1:08:08 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I can't wait to see all the entries, I know we have only seen the tip of the iceberg so far.

November 17, 2014 6:24:34 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Stardock,

A request: There are so many great designs posted in the ship design thread.  I would love to have more than eight ships make it into the release game, but at the very least: Could you post a common tool or thread that would allow easy sharing of ship and part designs?

November 17, 2014 7:17:16 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I imagine they will do the library again like they did for GC2.  There was some awesome stuff posted there.

November 18, 2014 10:44:52 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Hey all -- sorry I haven't gotten all the questions answered. Some of the answers I just don't have.

Quick update today: We've picked the eight finalists, so check your email. Voting starts tomorrow!

November 18, 2014 10:59:25 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Well, I guess none of the 3 I submitted got selected oh well, good luck to all who got selected

November 18, 2014 11:35:27 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

NO email here.

November 18, 2014 11:44:12 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

none here either

November 18, 2014 11:59:39 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Make sure you check your junk folder.  One of my ships was selected and the email from Adam was thrown in there.  I don't know why because I'm sure I've got emails from Stardock before.

November 19, 2014 3:03:56 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I...didn't win COME ON!!!!!!!!!!

Devs got odd taste since rand nor ed got in, two of the best designers we got. Wow.

At least I get to vote on awesome ships :3

November 19, 2014 11:14:56 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting DARCA1213,

I...didn't win COME ON!!!!!!!!!!

Devs got odd taste since rand nor ed got in, two of the best designers we got. Wow.

At least I get to vote on awesome ships :3

Thanks for the awesome compliment DARCA!

I'm curious to see what ships they did select.

November 19, 2014 11:28:18 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Well I just voted and have seen the ships stardock selected.

Just one little peeve. I am a little disappointed that anyone who sent in single view submissions were not even considered. There was no rule or indication we had to send in 4 and 5 view schematics formats.

I find this very unfair to those of us who busted our butts for a hours making ships to enter in contest.

Just my opinion.

November 19, 2014 11:42:42 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Same here, it influenced there minds. You can't have some people taking more screen shots and think its not helping.

Maybe if I send cookies to the devs, they will have a contest every month when the races come out?

November 19, 2014 11:45:07 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

^^ Why do you think that ship images with just a single view were rejected offhand?

November 19, 2014 11:48:47 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I want to know that as well, all mine were single view and I was not told they could not be.

November 19, 2014 12:07:06 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

What do you mean by single view? I submitted a single 1920x1080 png file per ship containing a few different views of varying sizes. Was that the right thing to do?

Would have been nice to get a little more guidance from stardock, but oh well.

November 19, 2014 12:19:46 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Adam, Sisko, many of us submitted a single view screenshot of our entries. Yours was a single pic but it had 4 to 5 different views of your ship. Many of us did not do that and it appears the only ones Stardock considered were pics that had 4 to 5 views of the ship.

We are not told they had to be submitted this way. I find this unfair and your right Stardock could have been a bit more specific about it.

November 19, 2014 12:34:02 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Five of the eight finalists submitted but a single screenshot of their ship.

Rand, edladner, all -- You guys do awesome work. We love it, and we deeply appreciate your contributions to the community. I'm sorry you weren't selected, but according to Paul we had over 80 ships submitted that he thought were good enough to be included in the game. That's a lot of competition for eight slots.

November 19, 2014 1:01:17 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

abiessener thank you for settling the matter

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000312   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+