Stardock

WindowFX Does not work with Windows 10

By on October 3, 2014 4:31:47 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

m1enzi2e

Join Date 07/2014

WidnowFX does not work with Windows 10. I am not complaining, I know its the preview, just letting the developer know. 

To be more specific the windows animations don't work. Everything else seems to work. 

One thing that definitely needs fixing is transparency. I want for example if I made explorer transparent

then close and reopen it it remembers my transparency setting. Right now it doesn't. 

25 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 21, 2014 6:31:55 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Dude are you seriously asking for Windows 10 support this early!

October 21, 2014 8:11:13 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

No. Just thought I would put it out there for the early adapters. 

November 27, 2014 3:47:31 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

@m1enzi2e Thanks for the heads up!

November 27, 2014 5:41:25 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Reply #1 has it correct.

The preview of W10, and all browsers, etc. will not work correctly with SD software unless we've popped into Interstellar, somehow.

SD does it's work on software of the RTM variety only, and subsequently only if some patch/SP breaks the SD software.

July 29, 2015 8:00:34 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Just to let you guys know that WindowFX is defo broken with the RTM of Windows 10.  I've just installed it and non of the animations currently work.

July 29, 2015 8:54:51 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Mythril1976,

Just to let you guys know that WindowFX is defo broken with the RTM of Windows 10.  I've just installed it and non of the animations currently work.

We are aware, there is a new WindowFX version awaiting QA testing before release.

July 30, 2015 7:24:33 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Great you are aware

Waiting the update.

August 4, 2015 1:52:43 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Hoping to see the update soon.

August 4, 2015 11:54:02 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Yeah me too. Was hoping they would of at least released a beta for Windows 10 by now.

August 5, 2015 8:42:38 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Why wouldn't we expect it to work with release....? Dev preview is released in advance for devs to update their software. Stardock is big! Stardock is strong! Stardock has money!  Sure we expect it work...!?! Why wouldn't we...?!?  I dunno I guess maybe I expect too much... Don't really feel that way personally but I guess it may be the opinion of others that I could be far to expectant. Yes I have finished reading the post and I get it... There's a release in QA... Happy days!

August 5, 2015 9:25:31 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting icleanuprealgood66,

Why wouldn't we expect it to work with release....? Dev preview is released in advance for devs to update their software. Stardock is big! Stardock is strong! Stardock has money!  Sure we expect it work...!?! Why wouldn't we...?!?  I dunno I guess maybe I expect too much... Don't really feel that way personally but I guess it may be the opinion of others that I could be far to expectant. Yes I have finished reading the post and I get it... There's a release in QA... Happy days!

I have very much the same opinion. There is no excuse for Stardock to have not released necessary updates prior to the Windows 10 release. Other software developers managed to anticipate Windows 10 so why didn't Stardock. Look at the numerous forum posts complaining about various SD apps not working. At the very least WindowBlinds should have been updated for the Windows 10 release. Nice showing Stardock!

August 6, 2015 12:00:58 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

There are many valid reasons PC software may not be released as soon as a new operating system is released. Much of it depends on how the app itself interacts with the OS. Please note that we have updates being tested for our applications, but we ask that you be patient as Win10 has just been released.

August 7, 2015 5:07:32 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Hi,
an expected date for the update ??
Thank you.

August 11, 2015 4:04:37 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

snip

August 11, 2015 4:21:28 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

the yearly object renewal is a yr from when you purchased it.how would they be waiting for that? it would auto fall on different dates for different people

mines been on renewal mode for months and im hoping it keeps the option until they do get the products updated.

its only been like what 11-12 days since windows 10 officially came out.only reason i hold off on the renewal is faith they are working as best as they can to update it.read other forum posts cause its been irritating not only them but me as well,trying to calm people down.ive been a member for years and will continue to support them,why? because they are the best out there from what ive seen.even when 8.1 came out i didnt think anyone could handle that as great as they did.it was a different beast,and so is windows 10.they arent sitting on their ass sipping smoothies playing video games.they are working on it im sure of it.you ever notice alone alot of their different products in the pack talk to each other combine etc? that and more coding has to be involved.its not the same as just slipping on a theme and be like ok bob we are done.read the other posts alot of valid points have been made,and they are listening,as they always have.like jafo said be patient

August 11, 2015 8:08:49 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Sojiro84,

Then again, the yearly object desktop renewal is close so I wouldn't put it past them for them to release the updates after the renewal period so they get people to pay again.

Customers subscription times are different and has absolutely nothing to do with when updates arrive.

August 17, 2015 5:41:45 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

UNLEASH THE BETA!!!

August 21, 2015 11:42:31 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

We're a month on from when the new version of WindowFX was going through QA testing. Any news?

Currently I'm not getting a lot of value from my Object Desktop subscription. I can't use Window FX or Windowblinds 8. I appreciate it will take time to adapt, but it's disappointing how little works after a month. Start10 and thats' about it. Sure, there's other stuff working too (Keyboard Launchpad, SpeceMonger, Fences), but it does somehow seem to be the utilities of less, uh... utility that work at the moment.

Can we have an update on progress please? 

August 21, 2015 11:46:50 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

WindowFX 6 beta is now downloadable from your downloads on the store.

August 21, 2015 12:17:13 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

That works pretty well. Thank you.

I probably shouldn't be using Object Desktop Manager to check things. Now that I've looked at the compatibility list on here, it doesn't match. And ODManager doesn't show things like the WindowFX beta version. 

May I suggest that you post a prominent announcement of what works and what doesn't as well as those for which a beta or a temporary workaround is available? It's a bit frustrating having to hunt around through here to find out if stuff works or not. It'd also be nice to have some kind of timescale for replacements. We wouldn't have known that the WindowsFX update was in QA testing if someone hadn't asked here.

Maybe make that compatibility list a bit more comprehensive. For instance, it says that WindowFX is incompatible with Windows 10, but actually most features kept working. It says ShadowFX is compatible, but actually most features don't work. Icon Packager is incompatible, but it's working fine for me. Instead of a yes/no status it would be a lot more helpful if there was a partially/fully/not working status and some kind of timeframe for an update/replacement. I would imagine you've got an internal list of what's working and where everything is in development, so could we see a bit more of it? I came on here expecting a hive of activity and there are surprisingly few posts about this, giving a false impression of inactivity.

August 21, 2015 12:28:28 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting bodabar,

That works pretty well. Thank you.

I probably shouldn't be using Object Desktop Manager to check things. Now that I've looked at the compatibility list on here, it doesn't match. And ODManager doesn't show things like the WindowFX beta version. 

May I suggest that you post a prominent announcement of what works and what doesn't as well as those for which a beta or a temporary workaround is available? It's a bit frustrating having to hunt around through here to find out if stuff works or not. It'd also be nice to have some kind of timescale for replacements. We wouldn't have known that the WindowsFX update was in QA testing if someone hadn't asked here.

Maybe make that compatibility list a bit more comprehensive. For instance, it says that WindowFX is incompatible with Windows 10, but actually most features kept working. It says ShadowFX is compatible, but actually most features don't work. Icon Packager is incompatible, but it's working fine for me. Instead of a yes/no status it would be a lot more helpful if there was a partially/fully/not working status and some kind of timeframe for an update/replacement. I would imagine you've got an internal list of what's working and where everything is in development, so could we see a bit more of it? I came on here expecting a hive of activity and there are surprisingly few posts about this, giving a false impression of inactivity.

All features of ShadowFX work on Windows 10 and in fact even the original 1.0 release works on Windows 10.

It is strongly recommended against installing IconPackager on Windows 10 (or Windows 8 for that matter).  As I understand it you may have problems if you choose to uninstall it at any point in the future!

WindowFX5 did not have functional animations etc on Windows 10, but WindowFX 6 should be back to being fully functional.

There should have been a post about WindowFX 6 beta going out and I am going to have to chase to find out what happened to that.

August 21, 2015 1:19:28 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Yeah, that kind of thing. That's jolly useful and good to hear.

Obviously, this happens every time there's a new version of Windows, but with Windows 10 there is going to be quite an extraordinarily high number of people migrating early on. I can't remember how long it took to update Windowblinds for Windows 8, but I seem to recall (perhaps incorrectly) that it took several months.

I'm rather hoping this won't be the case this time as my payment date for my Object Desktop subscription will fall due before that date. It would be hard to justify renewing my subscription when I'm only able to use two utilities. And with Windows 10 only being free for a year, you pretty much have to have most things working before that expires.

I appreciate that it may be a lot of work to get all this done (I've no idea what's involved), but we've known this was going to happen for quite a long time. And clearer more definite information would be very helpful in the meantime. Updating that compatibility list to show actual progress and beta availability would answer a lot of forum posts before they're made.

August 21, 2015 4:46:44 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Installed the WindowsFX 6 beta. Just a little quick feedback. You guys seems to be listening. Right now if you use virtual desktop like I do. Every time you switch between the desktop animations is broken or the apps is stuttering badly. Other than that seems to be working great. My system. Intel Core i5, Windows 10 Pro, 8 gig installed Ram, Geforce GTX 750 Ti. 

January 27, 2016 11:48:00 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Window FX 6 does not work for me, at all. Like a previous poster, I regret paying for Object Desktop when possibly 2 appear to work, I don't use many of the included programs) so I don't know if they would work. Fences and Shadow FX work well as far as I can tell (although I haven't tested more that one setting in Shadow FX). Theme Manager broke my theme on the first use so I uninstalled it. I should have waited until users in these forums started posting that the software that claims to be compatible seems to actually function as intended.

January 27, 2016 12:03:22 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting orerockon,

Window FX 6 does not work for me, at all. Like a previous poster, I regret paying for Object Desktop when possibly 2 appear to work, I don't use many of the included programs) so I don't know if they would work. Fences and Shadow FX work well as far as I can tell (although I haven't tested more that one setting in Shadow FX). Theme Manager broke my theme on the first use so I uninstalled it. I should have waited until users in these forums started posting that the software that claims to be compatible seems to actually function as intended.

I'd suggest making sure you have the latest version from your Stardock account: http://download.stardock.com

If you still have an issue, please start a support ticket so we can assist.

http://esupport.stardock.com/index.php?/Tickets/Submit

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001703   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+