Stardock

WindowBlinds and Windows 10

By on October 2, 2014 2:08:12 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Mark Phelps

Join Date 01/2003
+9

Am very pleased to report that WindowBlinds works great with the Windows 10 Tech Preview.

Upgraded from Win8.1, rebooted, and WindowBlinds works fine -- no problems. 

I did have to uninstall both Start8 and ModernMix, but I expected it would come to that (in the short run)

UPDATE: Please NOTE: Windowsblinds does NOT work with the Released version of Win10!  As mentioned in numerous threads, if you force the install of Windowblinds on Win 10 now, you will have problems as a result.

66 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 30, 2015 10:18:55 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting big barf,

thanks Hankers; here is the info I just received from the help desk

"Thank you for contacting us. This is an automated response confirming the receipt of your ticket. Our team will get back to you as soon as possible. When replying, please make sure that the ticket ID is kept in the subject so that we can track your replies.

Ticket ID: PRQ-616-20338
   Subject: window blinds and windows 10 interaction
   Department: WindowBlinds - SDSoft
   Type: Issue

"

Keep in mind that Stardock is off this week. So you may not receive an actual answer till sometime next week.

July 21, 2015 9:49:48 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

A lot of code has changed in Windows 10 (especially within the GUI), so its doubtful WindowBlinds 8 will ever work properly on Windows 10... the logical conclusion is WindowBlinds 10 will be released, much as WindowBlinds 8 was released for Win8.  To demonstrate just how much code has changed, a simple restore point creation vbs script for Windows 8/8.1 does not work on Windows 10.  

Upgrading an existing 8.1 install to RTM build 10240 [Win 10] with WindowBlinds 8 installed results in havoc... the gui is broken and boot times increase dramatically.  Clean installing RTM build 10240 [Win 10] results in a refusal to install WindowBlinds 8 (which is correct), (though SkinStudio 8 is allowed installation) due to lack of compatibility.  

July 22, 2015 2:21:46 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I just installed WindowBlinds 8 on Windows 10 RTM 10240 and I had to install in Windows 8 compatibility mode and as administrator.

It worked great, except for the skinning of the taskbar. And it caused very wide taskbar icons, creating a scrollbar because they all wouldn't fit.

July 22, 2015 2:31:23 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Right, because it's not compatible with Windows 10.  If it was a general application, compatibility mode would suffice, but due to the deep hooks DWM has in Windows 8/8.1 and Windows 10, Windowblinds is not an application that should be ran in compatibility mode, as the gui will not render correctly (it goes beyond the taskbar, and you'll notice other incorrect renderings as you utilize Win 10 10240).

What about boot times, notice a difference?  If you run Windows 10 long enough with WindowBlinds 8, you'll notice other issues.  WindowBlinds 8 should not be installed on Windows 10 period, as it wreaks havoc within the OS.  The only things that WindowBlinds must be installed to easily change are the background colors of windows and toolbars. Text, highlight, and button colors can all be changed via the registry (as can display fonts).

Window and Toolbar backgrounds can be changed without WindowBlinds, but it involves editing system dlls.  It's fairly easy to do, but because checksums won't match, sfc /scannow and dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth will replace all dlls and system files that have been modified, resulting in having to copy back the modified files every time either is ran.

July 22, 2015 2:45:30 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Using WindowBlinds8 on Windows 10 will be a personal choice for every user, however, considering the Taskbar is a focal point on every computer, the broken gui is enough to where most will prefer to not utilize it.  Couple that with the fact the taskbar is meant to be a central hub in Windows 10, with Cortana and Virtual Desktops, you're creating problems with those experiences.  I've used Windows 10 since Dec and the broken GUI is simply a non starter for me (as it will be for most users).

Hopefully WindowBlinds 10 will be released by Stardock, however it's not a sure thing considering their lack of development and poor support for other customization software like IconPackager (it's never worked correctly on Windows 8/8.1, and they've had more than three years to fix issues... and those issues still exist).  

July 22, 2015 4:27:13 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,

I just installed WindowBlinds 8 on Windows 10 RTM 10240 and I had to install in Windows 8 compatibility mode and as administrator.

It worked great, except for the skinning of the taskbar. And it caused very wide taskbar icons, creating a scrollbar because they all wouldn't fit.

I had the same experience when I first upgraded to win 10 from win 7; after awhile the taskbar issue made me uninstall it..

hopefully, it gets fixed once the official win 10 is out on july 29th

July 22, 2015 4:29:17 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

WindowBlinds, being Stardock's flagship customization program, will likely be updated for Windows 10 shortly after it's release to the public.

This is my opinion, and not official in any way.

July 22, 2015 4:35:57 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Just Installed Windows 10 And Windowblinds 8.0 Don't Work? Help

July 22, 2015 5:01:06 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

July 22, 2015 5:14:38 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Reading is always a good place to start...

July 29, 2015 10:48:12 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I don't know how people say it works fine in w10 I installed it today and none of my win7 ready skins work correctly. I've had to revert to system default skin. running w10 64 bit.

July 29, 2015 10:58:11 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I'm not sure either considering I've never see an application windows refuses to install work the way it's supposed to if then installed in compatibility mode.  

Windows 8 has been touted by a lot of PC journalists as a more refined Windows 8.1, and while that may be true from a GUI/user experience perspective, it is most certainly not the case from a coding perspective.  You have to look no further than simple vbs scripts for creating a restore point, which worked fine under windows 8/8.1, but of which don't function on Windows 10 using the same arguments as have been applied to the last 3 OS versions.

It is NOT recommended to install WindowBlinds on Windows 10 until Stardock has either released an update to WindowsBlinds8 (unlikely) or releases WindowBlinds 10 (more likely).

With that being said, users can backup this Stardock registry key on Windows 8:  

• HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Stardock

Users should be able to merge it into Windows 10 without issue.  This will allow users to keep their customized UI colors, with the exception of explorer/toolbar backgrounds.

• Obviously, transparency, if utilized, will be lost
  • Some custom colors will not apply, however other Windows Registry keys can be modified to attempt to change them: 
    • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\Colors

Above all else, BACKUP REGISTRY KEYS PRIOR TO EDITING via right click - export

For transparency, users can experiment with AeroGlass, which is what was used on Windows 8 to achieve transparency prior to the WindowBlinds 8 release:

For customization of the explorer and toolbar backgrounds:

• Users will have to manually edit windows theme files:
    • For example, those located within: C:\Windows\Resources\Themes\aero
    • Again, prior to doing so, backup the files
  • There are guides and tutorials online with how to edit theme resource files.  

Please keep a backup of theme once completed as running either of these commands will replace the files you edited:

• dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
  • sfc /scannow
July 29, 2015 11:11:42 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Stardock software and Windows 10 compatibility.

http://forums.stardock.com/469435

July 31, 2015 4:13:00 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Thanks for info it's only so sad that Stardock is sooo slow now a days on giving us updates and new software(Yes i know it's hard to make some thing awesome better but still)

July 31, 2015 9:00:15 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

give them a break windows 10 just got officially released.they wanted a stable complete os before they got to giving us windows 10 stuff.

slow? considering its been only 2 days i think not.be patient,the time will come/working on it prolly as i type

August 1, 2015 12:36:19 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

in the meantime an update to simply disable theming the taskbar/start menu - would resolve most of the issues.

Not. That. Difficult.

August 1, 2015 1:03:36 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quick note:

Icon Packager is working (so far) on my recent Windows 10 Pro 64-bit installation. WindowBlinds 8, no. I uninstalled WindowBlinds 8, ModernMix, Decor8 and Start8. I like the Windows 10 start menu so I won't be moving to Start10. Stardock is great! I have no problem waiting for the new updates so I can skin again.

August 1, 2015 1:17:53 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

@NossieUK

There's more to it than just that, as Explorer backgrounds and toolbar backgrounds also render incorrectly.  This isn't simply an application compatibility issue, there's been fundamental changes done in the coding of Windows 10 that make what used to work in Windows 8  not work in Windows 10 (this doesn't just apply to WindowBlinds, as simple RP creation vbs scripts no longer operate with arguments used in Windows 8.1 and prior).

Many users don't understand the complexity of skinning the Windows UI from Windows 8 and forward.  It's not a simple overlay, as DWM (Desktop Windows Manager), which controls the skinning of the Windows GUI, has extremely deep hooks within the OS (please research what that means for a much more in depth understanding of the issues here; ever notice the Windowblinds x86 and x64 hooks running in task manager and wondered why they were running)?

Please be aware, running WindowBlinds in Windows 10 will, without doubt, result in additional issues that may or may not be immediately apparent.  Unless you're well versed in Windows troubleshooting, DO NOT INSTALL WINDOWBLINDS ON WINDOWS 10 as you will experience issues in other areas of Windows

August 1, 2015 1:22:23 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

@Sosiosh

There's one small difference Start10 adds to the Win10 start menu, and I'll post back later what it is, that might make it more convenient for users.  You can still utilize the Win 10 start menu with start10, just select the option for the default win start menu on the main settings page.

• Start10/ slightly modifies the location layout of the options on the left hand side of the start menu, which makes it more convenient for users. 
August 1, 2015 1:28:54 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting JW0914,

@NossieUK

There's more to it than just that, as Explorer backgrounds and toolbar backgrounds also render incorrectly.  This isn't simply an application compatibility issue, there's been fundamental changes done in the coding of Windows 10 that make what used to work in Windows 8  not work in Windows 10 (this doesn't just apply to WindowBlinds, as simple RP creation vbs scripts no longer operate with arguments used in Windows 8.1 and prior).

Many users don't understand the complexity of skinning the Windows UI from Windows 8 and forward.  It's not a simple overlay, as DWM (Desktop Windows Manager), which controls the skinning of the Windows GUI, has extremely deep hooks within the OS (please research what the means for a much more in depth understanding of the issues here; ever notice the Windowblinds x86 and x64 hooks running in task manager and wondered why they were running)?

Please be aware, running WindowBlinds in Windows 10 will, without doubt, result in additional issues that may or may not be immediately apparent.  Unless you're well versed in Windows troubleshooting, DO NOT INSTALL WINDOWBLINDS ON WINDOWS 10 as you will experience issues in other areas of Windows

Agree
same goes for iconpackager...

August 1, 2015 6:05:33 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

On July 30th, I installed the official release of Windows 10.  I made the mistake, that I expect many others made of quickly reading through the forums.  I saw some post about Windowblinds 8 working on Windows 10, and did not read the official Stardock section, saying that it didn't support it.  I had kept mt Object Desktop subscription, in force from its inception until last year.  This time around, I just bought Windowblinds 8 (newest version), and Windows Start Menu 10.  Which brings me to my two questions:

1. Officially, does Stardock have plans to make a version of Windowblinds, which is compatible with Windows 10?

2.  Will it be a free update to current subscribers of Windowblinds 8?

To those of you who don't speak "officially" for Stardock, feel free to voice your opinions, based on past policy.

August 1, 2015 7:43:11 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting NetBadger,

On July 30th, I installed the official release of Windows 10.  I made the mistake, that I expect many others made of quickly reading through the forums.  I saw some post about Windowblinds 8 working on Windows 10, and did not read the official Stardock section, saying that it didn't support it.  I had kept mt Object Desktop subscription, in force from its inception until last year.  This time around, I just bought Windowblinds 8 (newest version), and Windows Start Menu 10.  Which brings me to my two questions:

1. Officially, does Stardock have plans to make a version of Windowblinds, which is compatible with Windows 10?

To those of you who don't speak "officially" for Stardock, feel free to voice your opinions, based on past policy.

One would assume WindowBlinds 10 would be released for Windows 10, as to my knowledge, no other product exists on the market to do what WindowBlinds and SkinStudio allow users to do.  That being said:

• Stardock isn't the greatest at supporting certain applications (IconPackager is a great example, as it never worked properly from day 1 in Windows 8).
  • To know for sure, one would have to know what revenue is generated from WindowBlinds and/or ObjectDesktop purchases to gauge the user base that uses the product.  This can't be gotten reliably from WinCustomize, as most themes there are from Windows 7 and XP.

If you bought the object desktop subscription, it would be a free upgrade... If you bought WindowBlinds 8 separately, its a tossup (Stardock could allow free upgrades for purchase after the release of Win 10 or simply require you to buy the upgrade).  If it's something you just bought individually, and you dont have other devices running Windows 8, I believe Stardock has a return policy and would recommend getting a refund (unless Stardock provides you, in writing, that they will upgrade you for free when WindowBlinds 10 is released).

August 1, 2015 7:51:22 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

For users wanting the ability to skin Windows 10, but too impatient to wait for a WindowBlinds10 release:

The ability to skin Windows has always existed, its just not a simple process of opening up an application, pointing, and clicking.  If you utilized SkinStudio heavily while designing your custom skin for WindowBlinds, you may want to check out tutorials online about how to modify Windows theme files.  

August 1, 2015 8:38:58 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

is there currently a simple theme that works with windows 10?

August 1, 2015 8:41:53 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting NetBadger,

1. Yes.

2. The existing policy for updates will most likely be applied...that is, for it to be 'free' will depend on how current/recent the existing purchase is.

Strangely, there are people 'out there' that claim any Windowblinds/Stardock software update for Win 10 should be FREE because Win 10 is a 'free update'.  Obviously such a statement is absurd - the 2 companies are entirely separate entities....

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000438   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+