Stardock

GOOD NEWS!! DeskScapes 8.x Still works on WIndows 10

By on October 1, 2014 8:07:52 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

wolfsilverlone

Join Date 01/2012
+4

Just finished upgrading from 8.1 to windows 10 and deskscapes continues to work no issues....

YAY!!!!

Locked Post 42 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 1, 2014 8:50:46 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

You upgraded from a released OS to a preview?    

October 1, 2014 9:42:57 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

He's livin' on the bleeding edge!

(hopefully, he's got a clone of that system drive just in case)

October 1, 2014 11:19:08 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I hope to hell I have a back up solultion..lol

Infact I have 3 backup soloutions *looks over to my right. oh how sexy are you may 17tb windows server*. I do nighly backup images of all my pcs inc server os... I always upgrade from a Released build to the next alpha/beta build of the next majory windows releases..

I have to know all the new features before ever one else dose... the reason why I don't run it in VMware is I Need to know for if all hardware works the way its supose to as well as software..

So far I havn't had a software issue or hardware issue on Windows 10 Tech Prewview... which is freaken impressive

Im just glad that the Deskscapes still works with out a issue... means I wont' have to require a upradge version of deskscapes ether soo far...

October 1, 2014 11:19:51 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Really...

October 1, 2014 11:22:30 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

its just awsome to know soo far windows 10 is closely tirded and coded to windows 8.x which means all software inc drivers work with out a hitch...And I havn;t had to run anything in compatabile mode ether.!!!!

I don't see having to replace or upgrade any of my current software to a new version for compataible reasons

I did how ever make a few Isolated images of my Windows 8.1 drives before I did the upgrade ... I revert back to them if I have a major system failure or I em unable to do a upgrade from Tech > Consumure Preview or Comsumure to RTM...

If I can go stright from Windows 8.1 > tech > Consumer > RTM that make my freaken day

MS is handling the upgrade/ updates diffrent this time around for the Test build. There going to push new iso (new builds) via Windows Updates so there a really good chance I wont have to revert back or format when windows 10 RTM hits

Also as why I do a upgrade vs a format or a Vmware install as well... MS needs people to test the Upgrade path so I more then happy to help and see if it would fail or not..

went with out a hitch.. reallly amazing in my books for such a early build

October 1, 2014 11:35:46 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Sounds like you have it covered then.

October 2, 2014 3:11:32 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Actually not all Window 8.1 software will work on 10.  There are a few issues, partly with some OS changes and partly with the OS misreporting OS to some of our apps and them detecting it as 8.0 not 8.1 or later.  So you may find a few small issues in a few apps for now.

October 2, 2014 7:03:09 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

havn't found one with Modren mix (no point in it now though), start8 (Win10 in the processes of making this one obsolite as well).

Decor8 still has a place in win10 as long as u like the startscreen over startmenu
Deskscape works welll .. . Did have DX11 crash on login once though which kept the videos from playing but a quick restart fixed that. A bug on the os side... not to worried.. alpha and all.

So far all my current installed works with out a hitch to since the upgrade. I did have to reinstall my DashBoard for windows server 2008 r2 to re configure my nightly system backups on this pc...

August 2, 2015 2:30:20 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Got the Full release of windows 10 and Deskscapes 8 is not working, i just get a plack background.

August 2, 2015 4:29:47 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

kevinlbourne1, you will need codecs. As one did with 8.1.

I use Klite codec pack.

August 3, 2015 6:52:51 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I use K-lite mega .. and no it doesn't Deskscape DO NOT WORK on Windows 10 (RTM) its 110% broken, I had to system image restore back to my 8.1 before the upgrade solely because of this reason alone

August 4, 2015 11:10:59 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Has everyone having this issue, uninstalled DeskScapes and reinstalled it fresh? If you're experiencing this issue, please contact support:

Download our log tool, run it.

http://sd.stardock.com/Support/supportToolTest/SDSupportTool.exe 

Attach the .zip file to your ticket and describe the issues you're having:

http://esupport.stardock.com/index.php?/Tickets/Submit 

August 4, 2015 11:25:00 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

the only issue ive had with deskscapes is the image will freeze up if you hit taskview option.other than that it works flawless.

codecs in 10 also still work for dreams.i haven't had to download extra codecs.perhaps the clean install helps.i dunno

August 4, 2015 4:33:15 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Mine repeatedly launch in an ActiveMovie Window seperate from the desktop.  Occassionally it will work as it should, but task view switching "pauses" it indefinitely.

August 6, 2015 3:30:55 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Just made the jump from W8.1 to W10 and everything seemed ok at first.

Now it stutters, and also my pause and resume deskscapes doesn't work anymore? 

It sort of fixes it if i click pause deskscapes (doesnt pause) but when i press Resume it flickers terribly. : (

Is there gonna be a fix for this?

EDIT.............

I installed the latest K-lite codec and it fixed my pause resume fault, but the dreamscene was stuttering still as if it was losing frames....so i uninstalled the K-lite

And now everything seems to be working fine?

August 6, 2015 4:04:58 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

if youve done a clean install it may take a second for your gfx card to boot up or updating drivers help.only time i saw the active window glitch was when the gfx card wasnt installed properly/crashed whitch is usually the case for that bug.

make sure your graphics cards intact.note most computers will not have microsoft basic adapter as their gfx card.this usually indicates your normal card wasnt found as this is generic display

task view is also a bug so use alt and tab to switch if you want to use deskscapes.just until its updated

unsure if this was the post i made a similar statement but it still stands true.im a tester,its what i do,and i never give advice i havent tested myself for positive answers

August 6, 2015 11:43:51 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Psynex,

Mine repeatedly launch in an ActiveMovie Window seperate from the desktop.  Occassionally it will work as it should, but task view switching "pauses" it indefinitely.

Yes, GOD that is obnoxious. Please fix this.

August 7, 2015 2:01:51 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Psynex,

Here the same problem.. Today upgraded from 8.1.

Works perfectly, until the change off desktop video. From that point it launches Activemovie seperate, with the next desktop....

taskview pauses it...

August 7, 2015 5:03:32 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Psynex,

Yeah i also had this problem.....i just don't use task view.

August 7, 2015 10:19:54 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

mine won't work at all in Win10, Ever thing upto date, inc drivers and Klite... its the #1 resason why I reimaged back to my win8.1 setup until further notice

August 9, 2015 2:08:36 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

8.20 works on Win 10 depending on the Dream used but still locks sometimes. 8.21 does not work at all.

August 9, 2015 3:16:29 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

It works for me, upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10, but I tested fresh Deskscapes (all v8.21) installs on Windows 10 betas with only the same problems detailed below.

I don't use Task View, so I can't comment on that.

But the only bug I see regularly is a multimonitor assignment one.

Monitor layout (according to Windows ID in Windows 7 and 10, both x64).

3 1 2

According to Deskscapes the monitors were the same under Windows 7, but under Windows 10, they ID as...

1 3 2

Note that this is based on which Dream goes to which Monitor when selected.  W10 still reports the 3 1 2 monitor IDs.

Now, this also causes a problem with the selection of Primary Monitor.

I normally have the middle monitor as Primary (for games, etc.).  This caused no problems for Deskscapes under Windows 7.

Under Windows 10, I MUST have the leftmost monitor as the Primary or else Deskscapes PhotoDream will not work on the leftmost monitor (where I want it).

It appears to me that, under Windows 10, Deskscapes ALWAYS selects the Primary monitor as Monitor 1 no matter where it is, no matter what Windows 10 IDs it as.  I assume this means that there is something different about how Windows 10 reports Monitor ID vs. Windows 7, of course.

Despite all of this, once I got things working, the really good news is that Deskscapes works FAR BETTER on Windows 10 than Windows 7!!!

For example, the Master Baron's gorgeous Goodnight Earth video dream used to microstutter under Windows 7.  I don't know if this was a codec issue or an underlying "I'm pushing Windows 7 too damned hard, Captain" issue or a Deskscapes/DirectX issue, etc.  But I know it wasn't a graphics driver issue because the same thing happened across different display cards and monitors/resolutions,   But under Windows 10, Goodnight Earth is smooth as silk no matter what resolution I run it at, so I now suspect the problem was an underlying, core Windows 7 OS issue that Windows 10 resolved (perhaps as part of the move to DirectX 12?).

So, except for the things I had to work around, I've never had a better Uber-Deskscapes (re: 3 different dreams across 3 30" monitors) experience than I do with Windows 10.  Once they get the bugs worked out (which I don't suspect will take them long), I think Deskscapes owners are going to be VERY happy with Windows 10.

I hope this helps someone somewhere someday.  

August 15, 2015 6:41:49 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Sorry, but it don't work for me. My computer is slow at startup and then my it all become black.

I hope they got a solution soon.

August 16, 2015 11:39:11 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Only running one monitor here, but Dreamscapes seems to be working fine. Granted I haven't tried to change dreams as I really don't want to break what is working fine. 

August 17, 2015 7:44:55 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

well i updated my Nvidia drivers for the new W10 ones and mine has stopped working again?

I can see a bit of my dreamscene at the top of the screen and the rest is just black.....and i cant access my desktop controls if i right click.....i just get the spinning circle for about 10 minutes then sometimes it just kicks in?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000984   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+