+102

“People who say mean things should die in a fire!”

Locked Post 51 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 28, 2013 4:16:39 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Seems like there's a lot of negativity in this thread. Sure, some folks have a tough time with things and take it out on other people. Does that make them worse people? Well maybe, but ain't nobody perfect.

As for anonymity, it's also the boon of the internet. It allows people to make and do things which will be judged on their own merits, not on a person's reputation, whether that be positive or negative.

September 28, 2013 6:31:00 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Fistalis,
Anyone who needs anonymity to feel empowered against another individual has nothing but a false sense of empowerment.

Well said!

September 28, 2013 8:33:00 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Fistalis,
Glad to know you think of me as a troll though

I don't think of you as one....you simply associated yourself with the traits of the troll.

Anonymity is not 'just' the name...it's the security of displacement....no real-life connection between protagonists.

If the Internet were a boxing ring [physical, not social] there'd be a lot fewer battles.

Trolls feel 'safe' because of the implied sense of anonymity as well as the 'so what are they gonna do....I'm 1000s of miles away anyway?'.

They don't then just post a legitimate opinion....they exaggerate and go for the Jugular.  They don't argue 'I believe you are wrong because....' unless the rest of the statement becomes  '....you are a fuck-wit'.

There has been a few occasions I can recall during my life on the net where trolls became genuine issues warranting real responses.  Two were resolved once they were informed of 'we know where you live - desist or your teacher/boss will be informed' .  Another was possibly down to my vehement stance re 'children' ridiculing the actions of another who had suicided [on Deviantart].  Things get quite REAL when you're contacted by the kid's parents thanking you for your support.

There IS NO place for trolling ... just as there IS NO place for bullying.  Both are the actions of the pathetic and weak.

The ICQ logs relating to eFront were a classic case in point.  The guys who ran that show were [to put it politely] bottom-feeders with particularly reprehensible 'ethics' [ie. none at all].  When the logs went public it spelled the end of them as a business.  As I recall the police had 'a chat'.

When an issue is important enough....that 'anonymity' ceases to exist....

September 28, 2013 11:37:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Jafo,
I don't think of you as one....you simply associated yourself with the traits of the troll.

No I associate myself with some traits that YOU ascribe to being troll like. Blunt honesty and lack of political correctness and/or diplomatic tact. I personally find those traits quite endearing

September 29, 2013 12:30:34 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Fistalis,
I personally find those traits quite endearing

Ah....

...but when you become a site Administrator tasked with policing the 'troll' you find you need to draw the proverbial 'line-in-the-sand'.

Your job is to protect ALL Community site users equally.  Generally the average User is NOT obliged to 'suck it in' or 'grin and bear it' when confronted with "Blunt honesty and lack of political correctness and/or diplomatic tact."  Stardock's rules of conduct applying to ALL site users can an do preclude much of what you may consider 'endearing'.

Yes, 'political correctness' can be particularly tiresome.... and 'blunt honesty' can have its place, but not when it is a direct 'attack' on a fellow site member.

Rules are rules, and all facets of society have them.  Those who don't conform to them/abide by them [for whatever reason] soon find themselves on the outer - restricted/denied continued intercourse/interaction.

As Ned Kelly said on the gallows...."Such is life". ...

September 29, 2013 7:01:36 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Jafo,

Quoting Fistalis, reply 29 I personally find those traits quite endearing

Ah....

...but when you become a site Administrator tasked with policing the 'troll' you find you need to draw the proverbial 'line-in-the-sand'.

Your job is to protect ALL Community site users equally.  Generally the average User is NOT obliged to 'suck it in' or 'grin and bear it' when confronted with "Blunt honesty and lack of political correctness and/or diplomatic tact."  Stardock's rules of conduct applying to ALL site users can an do preclude much of what you may consider 'endearing'.

Yes, 'political correctness' can be particularly tiresome.... and 'blunt honesty' can have its place, but not when it is a direct 'attack' on a fellow site member.

Rules are rules, and all facets of society have them.  Those who don't conform to them/abide by them [for whatever reason] soon find themselves on the outer - restricted/denied continued intercourse/interaction.

As Ned Kelly said on the gallows...."Such is life". ...

Meh I always assumed froggy would tire of me and ban me eventually anyway, he shows many of those same traits at times but since its his site its a wee bit different (not to mention our personal views tend to be at odds most of the time). Personal attacks are not the same as blunt honestly and lack of diplomatic tact. You seem to be trying to smear the paint as it were. That is to say mix up one set of traits with another.

No getting banned is not a normal thing for me.. but given the wide subject matter and general discourse of these forums I always assumed it would happen eventually. I would never use personal attacks.. but what YOU may construe as a personal attack can be very different from what I do.

Point being when the day comes that I am faced with what i considered an inevitability I will show neither fear of it happening, nor will I bear any Ill will towards others for it happening. I don't think myself above the rules.. I just understand that in order to maintain my personal convictions I run the risk of breaking them and accepting the price that comes with it.

Anytime you step into someone elses domain you have to either accept that they call the shots and kowtow to their opinions or be true to yourself and accept that your time in their domain may be limited.

September 29, 2013 7:14:18 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Fistalis,

Blunt honesty and lack of political correctness and/or diplomatic tact. I personally find those traits quite endearing

Situationally, yes. In general, no.

September 29, 2013 8:12:19 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

As a mod on another board, I deal with a lot of trolls and people using the anonymity of the Internet to be jerks.

And I agree with most of what has been said here.

But to claim every troll is an unemployed loser is just over the top.

Not everyone who is unemployed is a lazy good for nothing leech. Most people are unemployed because there are dozens of people looking for work for each open position available.

To constantly demonize the unemployed is a biased and a skewed view of reality.

September 29, 2013 8:27:06 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

No one ever said that everyone who is unemployed is a leech.

The claim was nearly early troll is a loser in reality. Much depends on what you define as a troll.  A troll is not someone who disagrees with you, or even someone who hates you if they believe you did something wrong.  I define troll is someone who starts crap on the internet for their own personal pleasure.

That said, sometimes hatred can turn someone into a troll.   I'll say this: the truly effective trolls I've run across, have been folks who have tended to NOT be losers in life, but there are very few effective trolls.

I agree with you 100% on the demonization of those receiving government help, but that's not what's being claimed here.

September 29, 2013 9:09:32 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Fistalis,
Anytime you step into someone elses domain you have to either accept that they call the shots and kowtow to their opinions or be true to yourself and accept that your time in their domain may be limited.

Nope...you don't even have to cow-tow to their opinions....you can happily have your own.  It's only the standards of conduct that needs be followed.

How long someone remains in a 'domain' is exactly the length of how long they WISH to remain so.

Site Administrators are just here to manage the timing...

September 29, 2013 10:33:31 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Alstein,

Brad said:

"The typical troll is an unemployed wannabe.  That's what fuels them in the first place. They hate people who have done things they wanted and in order to rationalize their own life failures they have to invent failings in other people. They don't recognize that their own failures are tied to their attitudes on life."

and in another post after that  he mentioned "basement" and "loser" which also implied unemployed (e.g living in your parents basement with no job)

September 29, 2013 10:38:35 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Jafo,

Quoting Fistalis, reply 31Anytime you step into someone elses domain you have to either accept that they call the shots and kowtow to their opinions or be true to yourself and accept that your time in their domain may be limited.

Nope...you don't even have to cow-tow to their opinions....you can happily have your own.  It's only the standards of conduct that needs be followed.

I've joined a number of boards, where if you express an opinion that differs from the majority, you will get banned...

September 29, 2013 10:45:43 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Borg999,

Quoting Alstein, reply 34

Brad said:

"The typical troll is an unemployed wannabe.  That's what fuels them in the first place. They hate people who have done things they wanted and in order to rationalize their own life failures they have to invent failings in other people. They don't recognize that their own failures are tied to their attitudes on life."

and in another post after that  he mentioned "basement" and "loser" which also implied unemployed (e.g living in your parents basement with no job)

Yes, but the other poster was impling that Brad thinks every unemployed is a leech/loser, which isn't true.

Being unemployed does not make you a troll.

September 29, 2013 10:49:58 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Borg999,

Quoting Alstein,
reply 34

Brad said:

The saying is....every thumb is a finger...but NOT every finger is a thumb.

All trolls [maybe] being unemployed is NOT the same thing as 'all unemployed are trolls'.

People who desire to make trolling their career path typically will be too busy doing so to be able to be gainfully employed at the same time...

September 29, 2013 10:57:11 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Borg999,
I've joined a number of boards, where if you express an opinion that differs from the majority, you will get banned...

Not on Stardock's sites you won't....provided that opinion is not racist or discriminatory or incites criminality...

September 29, 2013 11:27:35 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Jafo,

Quoting Borg999, reply 37I've joined a number of boards, where if you express an opinion that differs from the majority, you will get banned...

Not on Stardock's sites you won't....provided that opinion is not racist or discriminatory or incites criminality...

Yes, I know. 

September 29, 2013 11:40:17 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Does not compute. Internet mob ≠ Logic.

September 29, 2013 4:00:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Borg999,

As a mod on another board, I deal with a lot of trolls and people using the anonymity of the Internet to be jerks.

And I agree with most of what has been said here.

But to claim every troll is an unemployed loser is just over the top.

Not everyone who is unemployed is a lazy good for nothing leech. Most people are unemployed because there are dozens of people looking for work for each open position available.

To constantly demonize the unemployed is a biased and a skewed view of reality.

No one is saying any such thing.

I said the typical troll is an unemployed, basement dwelling loser.  That doesn't mean every troll nor does it say anything negative about someone who is unemployed.   Retired people are unemployed too. Are they trolls?

The stereotypical troll on the Internet today is a young while male with a lot of time on his hands typically because they don't have a job. They're usually motivated by envy of others but will rationalize their behavior endlessly.  I know this because, having spent 30 years on BBSes/Usenet/Forums and also attending trade shows, user group meetings, etc. I've had the opportunity to meet a lot of these guys.

But the very worst trolls don't fit this description. The sociopath trolls (see sites like somethingawful or broken forum or 4chan to see them in action) are motivated by who knows what and don't fit any specific description (except that they're still typically white males).  The ones I've met are usually (but not always) extremely introverted in person, outright meek but get them behind a computer and they will engage in very time consuming efforts to hate something or someone (usually their targets are political figures).  

September 29, 2013 8:03:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Draginol,
The sociopath trolls (see sites like somethingawful or broken forum or 4chan to see them in action) are motivated by who knows what

Some men just want to watch the world burn.

September 29, 2013 10:00:49 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Cauldyth,
Some men just want to watch the world burn.

'men' is a bit of a stretch....

September 30, 2013 1:28:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Are we not joining in the same witch-hunt attacks/condemnations that we are railing against here?

September 30, 2013 7:18:39 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting smeagolheart,
Are we not joining in the same witch-hunt attacks/condemnations that we are railing against here?

No.

We are defining a 'troll' in order to be able to recognise and ELIMINATE them from our Community.

There IS NO attack/condemnation of a fellow site member....as once recognised the troll is no longer a member.  It is the troll who does the 'attacking' ...it's simply the site Administration that ministers his removal...

September 30, 2013 7:35:10 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Its not just the internet that is losing its manners and tolerance.

Here in the UK people are being threatened with prison for speaking their minds on immigration policy.

Conversely violent crime is unduly tolerated and the identity of the criminal protected, we call it "human rights".

October 1, 2013 10:57:08 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting TwoWolves,

Its not just the internet that is losing its manners and tolerance.
 Here in the UK people are being threatened with prison for speaking their minds on immigration policy
Conversely violent crime is unduly tolerated and the identity of the criminal protected, we call it "human rights".

Troubled times these days.  Makes one look back on yesteryears as the good old days.  I think things were pretty good back in the day.  At the time people were complaining about it, but look how much worse it can get.  People take things for granted.

October 1, 2013 11:20:34 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

13 Types Of Troll You’ll Meet On The Internet

http://www.buzzfeed.com/robinedds/types-of-troll-youll-meet-on-the-internet

I encounter type 8 on a regular basis. They are the bane of my online existence. Making a comment that isn't perfectly PC, sends them into a tissy fit. Handling them with kid gloves isn't good enough...

"They tend to take everything as a personal assault, and love nothing more than feeling offended. And if they can’t feel offended directly, they also love being offended on other people’s behalves."

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000219   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+