Stardock

Windows 8.1 - Start8 button NOT WORKING

By on June 26, 2013 1:59:06 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

jmtella

Join Date 10/2005
+1

In 8.1 (full ISO fron MSDN) Start8 (1.16) not working.

The new button in 8.1 ovlerlaps Start8. Only actívate button Star8 when I press "Win" letft.

22 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 26, 2013 2:22:17 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

We have an update resolving this coming shortly.  Look for a link in this forum later today.

June 26, 2013 6:33:56 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Looking forward to it.

8.1 and booting to the desktop is not the same as booting to the desktop with a real start menu .

June 26, 2013 9:52:31 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Microsoft had no business just partially bringing it back, just to create problems for the rest of us...  sheesh!

June 26, 2013 10:18:26 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Has there been an update on this? I'm ready to buy it, I just want to make sure it's going to work for 8.1... Is ModernMix working with 8.1? Thanks Stardock.

June 26, 2013 10:18:34 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

June 26, 2013 10:50:44 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I believe there is going to be a update for 8.1 not sure when I believe someone had said later on today im in no hurry anyway for 8.1 im still getting used to 8 hardly ever go the the modern ui anyway I stay on the desktop 95% of the time but at any rate if there is a complication here  with start 8 and 8.1 im sure obit will address it in time.

June 26, 2013 10:52:24 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Spindle that is what I gather, I'm asking because he said "We have an update resolving this coming shortly.  Look for a link in this forum later today." and it's later on today. Don't mean to rush, just want to know before I grab it is all.

June 26, 2013 11:19:20 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Tried the 1.16beta, didn't change a thing.  Here is what is happening to me with Start8 1.16 and Windows 8 Blue (dual monitors):

-Takes over 1 1/2 min to get to a "desktop" after I enter my password (see below).

-Primary monitor remains gray, secondary monitor displays OK but taskbar is missing until I click on it.

Have to press left Win key to restore my desktop on the primary monitor.

-Start button no longer works with mouse.  Have to use left Win key to launch it.

Hope you get this fixed sooner than later.  I uninstalled it because of the instability of the start process with it installed.  

Advice to others: Until you hear that this is fixed do not get the Blue Update if you love Start8!!!

June 26, 2013 11:43:23 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Ya none of the start buttons seem to work with 8.1. In fact, stardock is the only one I've found to actually announce that they are working on one for asap.

June 27, 2013 2:00:57 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Please post this update soon. Windows 8.1 is driving me crazy !

June 27, 2013 4:09:18 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Start8 seems to be still active, since you can grab the Start8-Icon if you carefully hover downwards over the new Win8.1 StartIcon. At least with my applied WindowBlinds Skin I have a maybe 5 pixel high part of the Start8 icon beneath the Win8 icon.  Haven't tested yet with different skins, if that makes a difference in Icon heights.

Also ModernMix has now problems with keeping the apps windowed. The Store and the Weather app don't like the windowd mode anymore, they display in the upper left corner,  not fullscreen but in the size of the window.

June 27, 2013 5:23:42 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

1.16 beta is not the beta for Windows 8.1.  It is an older build from before 1.16 release.

1.17 beta should be put up later today, the hope was it would go up Wednesday, but a member of staff had to leave early.

June 27, 2013 5:41:05 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

For all those that are missing it, just press you Windows key. Slight workaround for now.

June 27, 2013 12:01:34 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

jgoggs88: Thanks for the tip!

Win 8.1 is looking good so far. The first time it booted after the update the system was sluggish and then locked up and wouldn't restart. I powered the system down and restarted it and it's working fine now. All my apps are still there and working. I'm checking out the new interface features, but since I'm an old school desktop jockey that's just a side mission for now.

June 27, 2013 4:01:58 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

New Start8 beta build is up: http://forums.stardock.com/446138/page/1/

Kris

June 27, 2013 4:49:56 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Working very well 

June 27, 2013 5:28:57 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Fix worked a solved some startup issues that I was having good job! Other than that 8.1 running with no issues.

June 27, 2013 8:02:14 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Thank you!!!

June 27, 2013 11:05:39 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

One issue that I found is that some games will not exit to Desktop after using Start 8 1.17 Beta and windows 8.1 preview. This issue was present in 1.16 as well with 8.1 and is the only issue that is unresolved in 1.17. Pressing Ctrl + Alt + Del and selecting exit brings up the desktop with no sign of the application hung and this does not occur with Start 8 not running/uninstalled so definitely a Start8 related glitch here.

June 28, 2013 5:25:29 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting mishrasiddharth,

One issue that I found is that some games will not exit to Desktop after using Start 8 1.17 Beta and windows 8.1 preview. This issue was present in 1.16 as well with 8.1 and is the only issue that is unresolved in 1.17. Pressing Ctrl + Alt + Del and selecting exit brings up the desktop with no sign of the application hung and this does not occur with Start 8 not running/uninstalled so definitely a Start8 related glitch here.

Which games are they?

I assume by exit to desktop you mean you have the feature turned on in Start8 where fullscreen modern UI applications should go to the desktop when closed vs the Win8 start menu?  How are you closing the games?

June 28, 2013 1:25:27 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Neil,

Thanks for the reply and want to thank you and Stardock for coming up with a very effective solution for MS's idiocy.

The one game I am consistently noticing this right now is COJ:Gunslinger and I simply exit by clicking 'exit' in the game menu. The game is running the latest patch and the rest of my system is updated as well (latest drivers etc.) 

Contrary to what I saw earlier, the game does not indeed terminate when Start8 is running and after pressing Ctrl + Alt + Del I need to terminate it from the task manager menu. Also saw it with Far Cry 3 a couple of times.

This does not occur when Start8 is not running or installed.

Granted that both Win 8.1 and Start8 1.17 are beta, this is not a huge issue as everything else is working great but may be something for you to test moving forward.

Sid

June 30, 2013 2:32:40 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Update: Updated to Nvidia Rel 326 drivers today and the problem does not occur so it could very well have been a combination of various beta software and NV drivers for 8.1 that were still glitchy.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000954   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+