Stardock

Sins of a Solar Empire DRM (Without Steam)

By on June 16, 2013 8:23:43 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Endjynn

Join Date 06/2013

Hi there,

I am interested in buying Sins of a Solar Empire: Trinity as it looks like a fun game!
However, I have strong opinions regarding DRM and I don't purchase any software that requires heavy DRM.
Please could someone give me details of the DRM that the game currently uses?
I've read that it used to use Impulse but I see that this has now been sold to Gamestop. Does the game now use Steam exclusively? Is it possible to buy/run it without Steam?

Many thanks for any information you can provide

- Endjynn

Locked Post 16 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 16, 2013 8:45:01 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Trinity can be purchased from Gamestop and be run without the Gamestop app running in the background.

June 16, 2013 10:58:15 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

from http://www.sinsofasolarempire.com/store

Buy Direct (no GameCrap needed)
https://store.stardock.com/cart.aspx?add&theme=impulse2&productid=ESD-SDE-W027

All you need is an email, and CD code to register.

Sins of a Solar Empire®: Trinity

Sins of a Solar Empire: Trinity

Sins of a Solar Empire: Trinity is the complete Sins experience. Includes the award-winning RTS, Sins of a Solar Empire, plus the Entrenchment and Diplomacy expansions in one pack.

ESRB Rating: TEEN with Fantasy Violence and Mild Language

Only $19.99

Also available at:

Steam GameStop 

System Requirements:

June 17, 2013 12:46:24 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting myfist0,
The free Steam application is required to install this game

The hell? The expansions run without Steam issue free... That's a really weird and troubling change. Edit: Seems the individual expansions aren't on Impluse either anymore...

June 17, 2013 8:31:14 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Many thanks for the suggestions

Unfortunately I'm based in the Philippines and I cannot purchase from GameStop.
If I try to buy Trinity from impulsestore.gamestop.com then it gives me the following error:
Sorry, your cart contains an item which you cannot purchase at your location. Please remove the item to checkout.

If I try to purchase from sinsofasolarempire.com/store then it says it requires Steam.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?
Thanks!

June 17, 2013 10:49:45 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

We only sell titles via Steam installers now.  You may be able to import something from Amazon?

June 17, 2013 10:52:59 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Yarlen,

We only sell titles via Steam installers now.  You may be able to import something from Amazon?

Ah, that's a shame. I'll pass on this title in that case. Thank you for the clarification.

June 17, 2013 11:33:23 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Endjynn,

Quoting Yarlen, reply 5

Ah, that's a shame. I'll pass on this title in that case. Thank you for the clarification.

Trinity does not use steamworks though so it essentially only uses Steam for updates. I just started my Steam Trinity straight from the executable without being logged into steam (i.e. steam is not running at all).

June 17, 2013 1:07:15 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Yarlen,

While making Steam your favourite point of sale makes sense (90 % of all Rebellion sales were over Steam @ those who did not know already) from a business point of view, I would ask that you do

not

stop

selling

games directly from your own Stardock store. 

I want to buy my games from Stardock directly... and not from Steam.

Yes, even if they do require Steam afterwards.

That way you might get a few more sales out of the 10 % of people who hate Steam.

June 17, 2013 5:22:17 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Oh, we'll never stop doing that.

June 18, 2013 1:16:59 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Yarlen,

Oh, we'll never stop doing that.

Excellent.

June 20, 2013 2:06:51 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Yarlen,

Well that stinks.

How do those of us who bought your games years ago that didn't require Steam, such as Sins (non-rebellion) download a non-Steam installer for re-installation on our systems?

June 20, 2013 6:24:55 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I have downloaded a non-steam trinity from the stardock downloads page(https://store.stardock.com/myaccount/products)

if you registered your sins trinity with stardock you should be able to log in to the store on the above link and download the FULL installer (the update is (from memory) only for the 1.3x to 1.37 not for earlier than that)

hope this helps

harpo

June 20, 2013 6:25:16 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting harpo99999,

I have downloaded a non-steam trinity from the stardock downloads page(https://store.stardock.com/myaccount/products)

if you registered your sins trinity with stardock you should be able to log in to the store on the above link and download the FULL installer (the update is (from memory) only for the 1.3x to 1.37 not for earlier than that)

hope this helps

harpo

Thanks for the suggestion Harpo.

Unfortunately, when I log into my account, my game listings are apparently all messed up. Some claim I can download them directly, but when I try I get various website errors (404 page not found, etc.). Other games claim I have to use the Gamestop PC App. I bought all these from Stardock, not Gamestop! Why can't I download them here?

I bought the original Sins when it was first released years ago at retail (physical copy) and it's not even listed (even though I registered it to get updates). However, the two expansions I bought from Stardock are listed, but claim I have to use the Gamestop app.

Of course Gamestop has removed the ability to archive your games, preventing you from backing them up. This is one of the reasons I don't trust "services" like them and Steam, they can change/remove whatever they want anytime. What a mess!

June 20, 2013 7:38:03 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

spmaverick, I am re-downloading at the moment, perhaps your issues with the stardock download page are browser related, so could you try a different browser, eg firefox, chrome or dragon?

hope this helps

harpo

June 20, 2013 9:45:02 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting harpo99999,

spmaverick, I am re-downloading at the moment, perhaps your issues with the stardock download page are browser related, so could you try a different browser, eg firefox, chrome or dragon?

hope this helps

harpo

I normally use Firefox. I just tried IE with the same results. I don't believe this is a browser related problem.

The entry for my original Sins is for "Download + Retail Box". I later bought the expansion bundle. Unfortunately it says to use the Gamestop app.
There are download buttons for my GaCiv I, but they don't work (404 errors). GalCiv II points at Gamestop again. There was an entry at least a year ago by support that we would be able to download all our Stardock games from Stardock.

June 21, 2013 3:27:06 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

ah, so you do NOT have a trinity licence, and I also do have a sins of a solar empire digital download, entrenchment (no download other than stopgame), diplomacy (no download other than stopgame) and the trinity pack that has all three (has a download and an upgrade download(from 1.3x to 1.37), and the rubbliron that dribbles in.

and yes it is frustrating having to use stopgame for anything as they wrecked impulse.

harpo

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000281   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+