Stardock

Start8 does not have any memory of what has been run before, unlike the Windows 7 Start Menu and Windows 8 Start Screen

By on January 28, 2013 1:35:57 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

eggbean

Join Date 09/2012

I love Start8 and the recent update has fixed a couple of problems I had with it, so now it is near perfect.  It's even better than the Windows 7 Start Menu, especially with the ability to add custom file system locations.

There is one thing that I think needs to be fixed though.

Example:

I use a program called SecureCRT everyday.  It's an SSH client like PuTTY, but with a lot more functionality.  It comes bundled with an SFTP client called SecureFX,

In Windows 7, when I used the Start Menu search and started to type 'secu', both SecureCRT and SecureFX would quickly appear in the search results.  SecureCRT would come up first, as it is what I used more often.  It also comes up first alphabetically, so this is not a great example actually, but I'm pretty sure that SecureFX would have come up first if it was used more often, or if it was the last one of the two that I had used (not entirely sure).

This is what happens with Start8:

Start8 Search

SecureCRT does not show up until I type 'securec', no matter how many times I run it.  Also, all those useless readme and help files come up, where I am pretty sure I only got SecureCRT and SecureFX come up on Windows 7, as they were regularly used, and SecureCRT came first (at least if it was the last one used).

Can this sort of recently used memory be added to Start8?

13 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 29, 2013 10:02:55 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Agreed, such a memory would be a nice addition.

January 30, 2013 7:11:21 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Could anybody confirm that the Windows 7 start menu behaviour that I described (from memory) does indeed occur?  I don't have Windows 7 installed on any of my computers at the moment.

Do the devs disagree with my suggestion?

January 30, 2013 8:05:55 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

This is what happens with the Windows 8 Start Screen, which is what is desired.

I have done some testing and it is evident that the Windows 8 Start Screen remembers what has been run before and sorts the results based on that, just like how I remember Windows 7's Start Menu does.

Windows 8 Start Screen search results

February 3, 2013 9:24:04 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

As far as I can see, this is clearly a disadvantage of Start8.  Surely this at least deserves a response, let alone any consideration?

February 4, 2013 6:43:52 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

An example: When I type in "word" +  return it starts Wordpad, not "Microsoft Word". After I manually selected the latter from the list I would expect it to be ranked top in the future.

Same if you type "inter" - you get all but the internet explorer, which I still need to use from time to time.

February 4, 2013 7:13:01 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Start8 does have a memory of the frequency of execution of specific search results.

In 1.1 this was limited to reordering the visible results by this and in 1.11 beta it was expanded to look at a few hidden results too.  For the final 1.11 beta we plan to look at all of the results for programs and then use the value to reorder them.

Hopefully this will help.

February 4, 2013 12:31:36 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Great.  I'd be very happy to have Start8 show search results in the same way as the Start Screen, with a memory of what the user has used before.  Thanks.

February 7, 2013 6:54:27 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Thanks a lot in advance, sounds very promizing! (and I need to check which version I have installed )

February 7, 2013 7:03:53 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

1.11 came out on Wednesday, so go grab it!

February 11, 2013 8:28:32 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I'm confused about this.  I upgraded to to v1.11 just hours after it was released, but I was disappointed that this behaviour had no changed at all, as far as I could see.  However, I didn't say anything as I thought that this change had been held back for a later update.

So is Start8's search results supposed to prioritise depending on previous results now, like the Windows 7 Start Menu and the Windows 8 Start Screen?  v1.11 seems to be working just the same as the previous version for search results.

Is it possible that something has gone wrong when updating rather than clean installing Start8?

PS.  Another problem I have is with this forum - I never get any reply notifications, even though the correct address seems to be in my settings.

February 11, 2013 8:36:43 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Start8 will make recently launched search results bubble up the list.  The more often a specific result is launched, the higher up the list it ends up going.  This only applies to results under programs.

February 11, 2013 10:32:24 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Ah yes, I have tried typing 'word' and it does indeed give either Microsoft Office Word or WordPad as the first result after whichever one has been selected a couple of times consecutively.

However, it does not seem to work when I type 'secure', as I gave in my example.  I have to type 'securec' for SecureCRT to come up instead of SecureFX and the other file files shown in my earlier screenshot, however many times I select it once it does come up after typing 'securec'.

With SecureCRT being executed much more than SecureFX (or any of the minor similarly named shortcuts which I hardly ever run), I would expect SecureCRT to come up as soon as I type 'se' (assuming I do not run anything else starting with that regularly), as what happens with the Windows 7 Start Menu and Windows 8 Start Screen, which remember what was last run after a single execution.

So, while it's really great that Start8 now has memory of what has been used before, it does not seem to be working with partial matches.  I think it would also be preferable for it to come up with what the last executed immediately, as the first-party menus do, but that is just a minor wish in relation to this problem with partial matches.

Thanks a lot.  It's just fantastic that you give such consideration to user concerns, especially as you are fixing something that really spoils Windows 8 for many of us.

February 13, 2013 10:27:36 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

If it's a program you use every day, why not just pin it to the Start Menu? Right click on any program icon found in the Start8 menu (including those in the All Programs menu and then select "Pin to Start menu (Start8)". These programs will be at the top of the menu. A thin line separates these pinned program icons from the other non-pinned program icons.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000454   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+