Stardock

Start8 not working on admin account

By on October 20, 2012 9:49:41 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

tsmetz

Join Date 10/2012

Hi, I just downloaded Start8 and when I try to activate the trial nothing happens.  It says "starting trial", but then the button changes back to "try start8" again.  I'm on an admin account on a full retail version of Windows 8.  I have another username on my system, and when I switched to that one, start8 was setup just fine, but when I use my admin account, it doesn't work.  I have no idea what could be causing the problem.  I would be very appreciative if someone could help me solve my problem

4 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 21, 2012 8:31:07 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

If you have activated it on the other account then it should be activated on the admin account too.  Trials are per machine not per account.

Is there anything unusual about the account?

October 21, 2012 9:52:20 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Nothing unusual that I know of.  I just installed Windows 8 recently, and tried to activate the trial on my admin account.  Like I said, it says "starting trial", but nothing happens.  However, when I switch over to my other account on the machine, Start8 is activated there without me having to do anything.  I understand that it should work across my machine, that's why I'm baffled at what could be causing this.  I've tried uninstalling Start8, and deleting my secondary account from the machine, then reinstalling Start8, but still nothing.  I'm not sure why, but it's just not activating on my admin account. I make all installations or changes through my admin account.  I haven't messed around with any settings really, or installed much because I just started using Windows 8 two days ago.  I would really like to get this working because the metro interface is really slowing down productivity and kills multitasking.

October 28, 2012 9:47:40 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I just downloaded Start8 and I'm having the exact same problem. All I get is the "Welcome to Start8" screen, when I click Try Start8, the button says it's preparing the setup, and then turns back to "Try Start8" and nothing else happens. Running Windows8 x64 RTM in French, my account has administrator rights as well.

November 1, 2012 3:10:13 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting DrAsik,
I just downloaded Start8 and I'm having the exact same problem. All I get is the "Welcome to Start8" screen, when I click Try Start8, the button says it's preparing the setup, and then turns back to "Try Start8" and nothing else happens. Running Windows8 x64 RTM in French, my account has administrator rights as well.

I created a support ticket on 10/24/12 because the forum was giving no response.    I was told to run a utility tool from them to collect information on my computer and send it back to them, which I did that same day.  That was on 10/29/12, and as of today I haven't heard anything back.

If you want any assistance I suggest to create your own support ticket, because it would seem that the forums won't bring much help.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000969   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+