Stardock

98 - can an AI terminate a NA treaty early????

By on September 21, 2012 2:23:09 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

cugeldaclever

Join Date 08/2012

I save the game peridically - so far everything good - had a na treaty with those lovable jokers the ythril

17 turns to go - was alsoe tracking my researh on cooperation 7 turns to go

So we do a couple of moves - nothing much happening 4 tunrns actually

Check foreign relations and the NA trteaty is gone and the little b*ggers are getting all hissy

what gives? I can't get out of an NA, why should they?

5 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 24, 2012 5:05:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Happened again on another game.

The original post has gathered a fair number of views but no replies.

So Either other people aren't having this problem, or its accepted as part of the game.

I think FE is very good now, I exepect it will be great.

For me this is a good point to put on the backburner till the bug if thats what it is is fixed.

I cant allocate resources to one area of the map thing another is safe, to find out 10-15 tunrsd later that the NA is cancelled

September 24, 2012 5:23:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I also had this occur in my most recent 0.98 based game.  It was also with Yithril.  In my case I got the pact with them on the same turn I me them, ended my turn and then got a message on the upper left screen saying my NA pact with Yithril had ended.   IMO its a bug.  I agree with you that if I can't terminate a non-aggression pact then the AI players should not be able to do so either (assuming they are actually terminating the NA and it is not some bug related to changing opinions of me by said faction).  

November 16, 2012 11:02:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

My personal favourite rant - staretd on Sept 21

Things have gotten a lot better

The ai as a whole is a lot better in honouring the treaties if yiou are fairly close - even Yhtril.

Ythril is the only faction that seem to get way with this - so it may be linked to the ewar monger trait

I've posted other threads, others have had similar experiences, save games have been uploaded

THe fact that you can't implement diplomacy in a straetegy game is a huge limiting factor

November 17, 2012 12:22:54 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Pretty sure this is a bug.  Brad's made clear that the AI isn't supposed to get away with anything the human player can't.

November 17, 2012 12:36:35 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I agree, i've seen this issue several times. The AI seems able to spontaneously cancel Non Agression pacts, and "Demand tribute" treaties (where they give you money)

In many times i've seen these treaties just mysteriously end, sometimes just 2 turns after they were signed. There's no option to reinstate them, in the diplomacy window they just vanish.

I'm not sure what's causing it, my best guess with the tribute is that they decided to send money to someone bigger and scarier, and that somehow excuses them from an obligation to you. But it doesn't make much sense either way.

Both of these treaties are designed to guarantee a period of peace. If the AI retains the ability to cancel them at will, then these treaties aren't fulfilling their purpose, they don't guarantee anything and are simply means to extract more money from the AI.

On the subject, i do think their durations are a bit long. 50 years is a long time to be in an enforced peace (as is 50 turns), especially since the game offers no recourse for dealing with disputes peacefully (like when your "ally" sticks an outpost between two of your cities and steals a valuable resource)

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000515   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+