Stardock

Solid as a rock

By on September 21, 2012 8:04:38 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

boredpeon

Join Date 04/2009

I finally took a break from the first game with .98 updated. I have to say I was quite impressed by the stability of the game. Large map with five normal AI players, all dense settings. I went just over seven hours of time played without a single lock up, crash, or slowdown.

These days that is pretty damn stable. Especially when you look back at EWOM and the earlier betas. That aside most games these days do not run longer than a couple hours before you get some sort of crash, lockup, or forced restart to clear a bug.

Great job, looking forward to more smoth play time.

32 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 22, 2012 3:06:28 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well my game has gone 18 hours total which is 767 seasons (longest turn setting.) Not a single crash or slowdown.

The only issue I have seen is AI cities are not loading, just seeing outlines instead.

The only big annoyance is the hp bars not updating properly in tactical combat.

September 22, 2012 3:12:05 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Re: Title

So the game is completely weak to blunt damage? Gonna get out my Mace collection. 

September 23, 2012 3:04:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks.  We still have some work to do.

There's a crash related to unit portraits being generated in a non-message thread but it's getting there.  I'd say we have (at least) 2 more public builds before we can call it gold.

And of course, after "gold" there's still lots of cool stuff I'd like to see us do if we have the budget.

September 23, 2012 4:58:17 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

And of course, after "gold" there's still lots of cool stuff I'd like to see us do if we have the budget.

Ships, sea monsters and multiplayer!

September 23, 2012 5:06:16 PM from Little Tiny Frogs Forums Little Tiny Frogs Forums

Quoting NorsemanViking,

Quoting Frogboy, reply 3

I doubt you'll get the first two in a free update. That stuff is expensive.

The latter is something I'm interested in. Though, we may have to make a tough choice on where to put scarce resources: Modding or multiplayer. 

September 23, 2012 5:28:27 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

The latter is something I'm interested in. Though, we may have to make a tough choice on where to put scarce resources: Modding or multiplayer. 

1. multiplayer

2a. modding

2b. sea travel

Please

September 24, 2012 4:43:17 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

Quoting NorsemanViking, reply 5
Quoting Frogboy, reply 3

The lack of naval is something I want to see fixed, but I'm not sure how much it will add, and it's an AI nightmare.

Personally, I'd like to see muskets.

One idea: see what people want for modding before deciding MP or modding. 

September 24, 2012 4:51:11 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'd be voting for multiplayer personally, if I had to choose between the two. With respect to modders, I think multiplayer would mean more replay value for a greater number of people. And we can already do a wealth of things with what we have today.

A well-done multiplayer would really reinforce that this is currently the best 4x tbs fantasy game on the market. With simultaneous turns you'd blow warlock:mota out of the water.

That is, assuming multiplayer means "simultaneous turns", "with tactical battles" and "with quests". Otherwise I'd be going for modding. Multiplayer should mean real multiplayer, not watered down. Bonus if our mods work in MP of course!

Plus, multiplayer sells copies and more copies = more money = more resources for FE or the follow-up game. Then you can give us modders script access in the next game and keep multiplayer intact.

PS. See Endless Space for how multiplayer in a tbs game is done flawlessly. We can even re-join games in progress there (although it's a nightmare because AI messes up everything while you're gone).

September 24, 2012 5:39:05 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

Quoting NorsemanViking,
reply 5

Quoting Frogboy, reply 3

Hi Brad!

Didn't think those features would be free. They are perfect material for an expansion pack. I want it to be done good, and I want to pay for it! A free update would only add a ship ala War of magic, and that would be it. Better do it great, with special sea quests, monsters, sea based bonuses too choose from when heroes level up as for instance Navigator. Sea based artifacts, AI reworking so it uses seafaring etc. etc. This is the stuff for an expansion pack.

Nice to hear multiplayer are interesting for you. This game would be extremely exciting to play with other humans indeed. What a suspense I'd feel with human armies going arround, that could attack at any time without warning. What a thriller!

September 24, 2012 11:23:53 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting cardinaldirection,

Quoting Frogboy, reply 6I doubt you'll get the first two in a free update. That stuff is expensive.

1. multiplayer

2a. modding

2b. sea travel

Please

Am I the only 1 not caring for sea travel .
I really feel the game has some neat choices without putting on a wet card-board extra piece of strategy that usually have a trillion flaws from the start (Water).
Most water combat or tactics I see is really rubbish
*stomps in the ground hopping around in little angry circles to make you know you must make me feel that I am right*

Sincerely
~ Kongdej

September 24, 2012 4:06:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I think it's wasted to put in sea travel now. I'd love it, but I rather see them do that properly in an expansion, then just making it a less then half good feature. Then better get multiplayer out, to widen the fan group and sales, then get the money needed for lots of expansions!

September 24, 2012 4:37:25 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm not too excited about the way sea travel is typically done.

I really don't like cities building harbors and then building boats and then having to load troops onto boats.

I also don't like units turning into boats to cross the water.  There has to be a better way.

September 24, 2012 4:43:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums
September 24, 2012 5:26:09 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Heavenfall,
Maybe something like this? http://forums.elementalgame.com/413291/get;3021572

Interesting idea, sounds terrible to try and implement on random maps .

Also sounds weird to implement in the broken world lore of FE.

Sincerely
~ Kongdej

September 24, 2012 5:28:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'd prefer 4-way world-wrap instead of sea travel. Being able to expand in 4 directions no matter where you are located would be a really awesome addition.

Out of the other two, modding would be next on my list; mostly to tweak ingame balance issues (should there be any after final release).

Well I understand many out there would like multiplayer, I am not one of them. So I'll put that last for my vote.

September 25, 2012 1:44:22 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

I really don't like cities building harbors and then building boats and then having to load troops onto boats.

I also don't like units turning into boats to cross the water.  There has to be a better way.

A. Flying shows us that the only thing necessary for water-walking to be interesting is stuff to do on the water.

B. Spells / Units / Creatures / Vehicles / Mounts / Items with water-walk.

C. The raise (and consequently lower) land spells could have their mana costs reduced to 5 or 10 (more terraforming = more fun anyways, especially with the beautiful updates on the cloth map).

D. Only armies with a water-walking unit that has the appropriate "vehicle size" trait for the amount of troops in said army could access waterways.  The model for this unit would be used to represent the containing army, and it's movement points could supersede those of the other troops.

E. Certain water-walking units or vehicles would not be able to walk on land.

F. Beach tiles could act as gateways through the cliff wall that separates land and water.

F.1. Beach tiles could be limited to only functionally granting passage once brought under a player's ZOC, researched, and developed (higher level structures imparting larger modes of transit, and allowing for bigger armies).

F.2. Upon completed construction, a water-walking unit (or vehicle) could be produced, similar to the elementals created by shard shrines for Binders.

F.3. Beach tiles could be connected via a similar system as roads.  *credit to Heavenfall for this idea

G. The lower land spell could be adjusted accordingly to change cliffs into beaches (which would still need to be brought under a player's ZOC, researched, and developed to be of any use).

H. Rivers could additionally be classified as water, allowing for interaction with directly adjacent objects via aquatic routes (the limitation of using the afore-mentioned beach tiles in order to actually move on or off land still standing).

I. Water could be further categorized into different types of tiles with varying effects, such as shallow, deep, calm, and stormy (perhaps even limiting certain size armies/vehicles to certain areas/depths, or influencing the route generation for "sea roads").

J. Units on water could require additional upkeep.

K. Any combination of the above at all.

(I'll keep thinking on my way to sleep.)

September 25, 2012 2:01:17 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

As the second most experienced modder, I also say MP. It will simply sell more copies and promote the game more. I know so many people that would be blown away by the mention of MP. They discarded the game out of hand when I told them it didn't have it. Some of them are missing limbs now, but they should be able to play MP still, if not a little slower. 

Modding is already excellent as is. MP, even with long turn waiting would be a huge boon to the game. It would be like getting a fire shard with Magnar at start. There is nowhere to go but up.

September 25, 2012 10:37:17 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I sold the game to a few of my friends with the promise that multiplayer would be added. Soooooo.... I hope that multiplayer becomes the next addition.

September 25, 2012 11:09:50 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

I like HF's idea. I guess how to implement is dependent on the goals - do we want actual full sea warfare with various boat choices & full range of movement or just a method to travel across bodies of water?

1. For sea warfare to be fun, I think there would need to be various vessel choices, etc. I'm thinking of how MOM did it. Of course doing that adds complexity to the game and AI. This would be full on naval warfare but I imagine makes the AI more difficult to program for moving troops, combat, etc.

2. For basic travel, premade sea routes between land masses would need to be created at time of random map generation. I imagine existing code for road creation could be leveraged to pull this off (plus programming AI movement between roads and routes should be easier). At both end points of the route would be strategic locations to control (call them ports, harbors, etc) - controlling both ends may speed up travel on the route, or allow larger stacks to travel, etc. If only one end is controlled, travel is possible but naval battles can occur mid-route (if parties at both ends send forces across) or land battles can occur at the end of the route. The goal would be to establish a beachhead by controlling both ends of the route (think D-Day Western Europe kind of thing). This would allow islands, continents, etc. and a way to break up the Pangea continents we have today.

September 25, 2012 11:39:11 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Heavenfall,
I'd be voting for multiplayer personally, if I had to choose between the two. With respect to modders, I think multiplayer would mean more replay value for a greater number of people. And we can already do a wealth of things with what we have today.

A well-done multiplayer would really reinforce that this is currently the best 4x tbs fantasy game on the market. With simultaneous turns you'd blow warlock:mota out of the water.

That is, assuming multiplayer means "simultaneous turns", "with tactical battles" and "with quests". Otherwise I'd be going for modding. Multiplayer should mean real multiplayer, not watered down. Bonus if our mods work in MP of course!

Plus, multiplayer sells copies and more copies = more money = more resources for FE or the follow-up game. Then you can give us modders script access in the next game and keep multiplayer intact.

PS. See Endless Space for how multiplayer in a tbs game is done flawlessly. We can even re-join games in progress there (although it's a nightmare because AI messes up everything while you're gone).

I just got Endless Space and that is an awsome game. It has replaced GalCIV2 for me as my main TBS space game. I just wish I could ad my custom races as opponets like I could with GalCiv2. Galciv2 still has the best ship customizer.

September 25, 2012 11:43:57 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Bellack,

Quoting Heavenfall, reply 9I'd be voting for multiplayer personally, if I had to choose between the two. With respect to modders, I think multiplayer would mean more replay value for a greater number of people. And we can already do a wealth of things with what we have today.

I just got Enless Space and that is an awsome game. It has replaced GalCIV2 for me as my main TBS space game. I just wish I could ad my custom races as opponets like I could with GalCiv2. Galciv2 still has the best ship customizer.

For me Endless Space is a good game, but nothing like GalCiv2. But of course GalCiv2 miss multiplayer...... I'd ditch Endless Space any day if GC2 had multiplayer....

September 25, 2012 1:09:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Kinda funny you hijack the thread and make it about sea travel. The game I played that ran so well met an unfortunate bugged end. Playing a conquest/diplomatic ending. Two factions were not found. I made my own land bridges by raising land to explore what I could til i got bored 20-30 turns later.

I did find a continent that was not connected via land bridge like most. There was no AI on it though. Also while trying to get to unconnected continent I encountered an issue. With an AI having the coast in their territory you can not connect by raising land. So how do you get there besides making a huge looping landbridge around their territory?

Speaking of which, if the owned area doe snot allow terraforming by other players then what stops a player from using Destroy Land (does that spell still exist?) to create such an exploited barrier.

September 25, 2012 1:43:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting boredpeon,

Kinda funny you hijack the thread and make it about sea travel.

Attempted to move the subject to another thread, I blame the frog.

September 25, 2012 2:27:09 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting boredpeon,

Kinda funny you hijack the thread and make it about sea travel.

I'm sorry, its my pidgeon brain and its 5 second memory's fault

Sincerely
~ Kongdej

September 25, 2012 3:13:40 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Kongdej,

Quoting cardinaldirection,
reply 7

Quoting Frogboy, reply 6I doubt you'll get the first two in a free update. That stuff is expensive.

1. multiplayer

2a. modding

2b. sea travel

Please

Am I the only 1 not caring for sea travel .
I really feel the game has some neat choices without putting on a wet card-board extra piece of strategy that usually have a trillion flaws from the start (Water).
Most water combat or tactics I see is really rubbish
*stomps in the ground hopping around in little angry circles to make you know you must make me feel that I am right*

Sincerely
~ Kongdej

Yes you are the only one. Personally I hate the fact that this game does not have sea units and sea combat.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001078   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+