Stardock

Best Starships in Ultimate Edition

By on September 18, 2012 1:50:34 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

michaelhoggan

Join Date 01/2010

I was wondering which race had the most powerful starships. I was also wondering if Terrans could trade or buy technologies from this other race to make Terran starships more powerful.

I remember in one of the scenarios I played in the original game that the Terrans were able to acquire the technology (from the Arceans) for a huge cannon to defend planets with. That cannon isn't available to Terrans in the regular games that I have played. Is it perhaps one of the alignment technologies? (i.e. you can only get it if you have a particular alignment)

8 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 18, 2012 9:09:36 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

The planetary cannon is a racial tech for the Arceans and part of their planet defence tech which you maybe able to buy from them but at a expensive price at least in my version (1.97)

September 19, 2012 2:59:40 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Your question doesnt really make much sense. No one races ships are really more 'powerful' since all races share the same basic tech lines far as weapons go. Its really a question of how advanced you are, not what race you are. I play human all the time and who has the most powerful warships?....I do! But this has more to do with the fact, I try to conquer planets with other races shrinkers and built ships on worlds with Ship Quality and HP bonuses. IoW, I try to leverage every little advantage the game offers. The AI just builds just does it usual cheating and canned designs. 

And you can acquire the Acerans Planetary defence easily enough. Its quite buy-able\tradeable, as are all the planetary defence techs that other races own. Its not an alignment tech.

September 22, 2012 8:06:41 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

If your going for out and out power and performance then theres just 2!, Dread lord ships (which you cant get) and the precursor ranger ships.other than this what John Falkenberg said or just for fun start a game with the "war of the gods" scenario which gives everyone all the techs from the start.

October 1, 2012 1:58:46 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Thanks for the responses, people!

I was just wondering if a particular race had a "racial" technology" that gave better ship weapons and defenses than those available with a "maxed out" Terran tech tree. I could have phrased my title better (sorry!)

So, no Dread Lord ships (not surprised). Is there any way to get precursor rangers?

Thanks for the note about "war of the gods". I'll check it out.

October 1, 2012 3:39:29 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Some of the races have (semi-) unique weapons.  As far as beam weapons go there are a few races who get Disruptors and the rest get Phasors.  There's definitely a different mix of ship modules available with each race.  And if you don't fancy what's on offer you can mod your own in.

You can only get precursor ships from random events or by buying them from the other empires for a big wedge of credits (worth it though).

October 1, 2012 4:00:56 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

May I assume the way the other empires get them is from random events?

October 1, 2012 5:05:21 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

yep they discover ancient ships buried in the sands of certain planets just like you mate

October 1, 2012 6:40:54 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Good to know. That should do it.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001719   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+