Stardock

Tec Starting Strategy?

By on September 14, 2012 12:06:39 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

xKinsumex

Join Date 07/2009

So I haven't really been keeping up with the Sin's expansions, but just recently got Rebellion. Went to start up a single player game to get a feel for all the new stuff and noticed there were 2 types of TEC now, the loyalists and the rebels... after searching around this section for a bit I decided to just make a post asking, what are the pros and cons for the two types? All I ever played in the original Sins was TEC and thats probably all I'm going to play in this one as well.

Also its been a while since I really played the game and I'm pretty rusty, so a good starting build would be nice as well. I tried a game as TEC Rebels and it didn't go to hot. Started with the colonizing cap ship, 6-7 frigates and 2 civ centers for quick resource benifits, trading post and colonizing options. I quickly took 2 asteroids and a ice planet then looked at the rankings and was dead last in incoming. This was with a trading post in all 4 planets I owned. What did I miss? Did I expand too quickly?

31 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 16, 2012 2:34:49 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting xKinsumex,
Well like I said, my games have only gotten to the mid stages. I'm fond of playing the Huge map with usually 1 or more stars. I keep up in the early game for the most part but during the mid game I seem to fall behind while trying to fight one of them. For example I'll kill off one of the AI's and another AI or two will start hitting me and there won't be much I can do to stop it... am I just over extending?

Well, if you're not doing locked teams that's always a possibility. Try doing like a 5v5 on locked teams so not all the AIs will be attacking you.

September 16, 2012 1:56:39 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Yeah I never played the diplomacy mod until now so those features are new to me, is that tree worth investing in?

September 16, 2012 2:59:07 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting xKinsumex,
Yeah I never played the diplomacy mod until now so those features are new to me, is that tree worth investing in?

They can be, some of the pacts are quite powerful. On the other hand to get the best pacts you'll need 4 or 5 envoys, which in addition to the costs will take 32-40 fleet supply to field. The bonuses can be worth it, but competitively they're mostly ignored because people need all the military strength they can get.

September 16, 2012 3:49:55 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

What do you mean by competitively?

September 16, 2012 4:18:08 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I think he means people online are afraid to spend supply on these, because it puts them at a military disadvantage.  If they spend 40  supply on envoys, and the enemy doesn't, then the enemy could have 40 more supply worth of warships.

-Twi

September 16, 2012 5:23:31 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting xKinsumex,
What do you mean by competitively?

As in the style one plays when fighting human opponents. AKA the meta game. Unlike AI, human players will go for the kill as soon as possible (not always a rush, but they'll be able hit you where you're most vulnerable in a way the AI could never do), so only the most effective strategies can really be used in this situation. Thus competitively, using envoys to get pacts only makes sense when you have two "eco" players (in large team games, its possible for players to start surrounded by only friendly players, so these players have no direct threats to worry about and work on building their economies to support players on the front lines) who will both benefit the most from the pacts and won't be fighting early on anyways.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000250   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+