Stardock

Guild Wars 2

By on August 23, 2012 8:33:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Krazikarl

Join Date 03/2006
+16

I assume that a lot of us will be playing Guild Wars 2, so I figured that I'd start a thread on it.

Prerelease is this Saturday.  I personally am gone for the weekend, but plan on playing quite a bit on Monday (assuming they don't kill the servers prepping for release on Tuesday).

I guess that Vlad is playing on Tarnished Coast, so I'll probably go there as well.  My understanding is that server transfers are very pain free though, so it might not be a big deal.

I'll also probably start with a Mesmer, if anybody cares.

My understanding from people who played in the beta is that its a really solid game, so I might be playing it a lot.  I've been waiting for a non derivative, well executed MMORPG for a long time.

163 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 23, 2012 8:48:55 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Some guys on another forum and I will be playing this.  Current plan is Gate of Madness for us and a guild once we all get settled in.  The fact it isn't a WoW clone is a big reason why we're all interested.

August 23, 2012 9:23:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I will probably be on Tarnished Coast. Will have a definite answer at 3 A.M. Saturday when I grab the 2 or 3 names that I want.

August 23, 2012 9:41:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm really sad that I'm going to be out of town.  It's always a lot of fun to be there right when the game launches to see the chaos.  I had a ton of fun when I played DC Universe the second the servers went up.  It wasn't a good game overall, but that first day was fun as hell - lots of great open world PvP as the two sides were fighting over places to do quests and level up.

August 23, 2012 9:49:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I just want to claim my sought after names. I actually doubt I can grab Jack, but I will do my best

August 23, 2012 9:56:19 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I will be on Jade Quarry most likely. Its where Ive been telling people I be. 

Maybe I'll see a few of yall there.

August 24, 2012 12:22:04 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

shut up karl.

That said, I'll start to play on the official release day - no idea if I'll like it or not and no idea about character classes.  I've been intentionally avoiding reading about the game.  I'd prefer to be on server that has most of you folks on it.  Happy to join whatever.

edit - I'd encourage anyone that can be flexible to join Tarnished Coast is possible.  The more of us in one place, the better imo - especially if its only a matter of getting a few extra folks to follow you over.  I'd be pleased to join a guild with folks from the SD boards, but will likely join karl/jack.

August 24, 2012 2:23:55 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I prepurchased early and have played in every beta and stress event.

GW2 is amazing fun.  Loaded with gorgeous, diverse, and fun content.

I'll be online the moment the servers come up, which they say might be early by up to 3 hours (ArenaNet seems as excited to get this rolling as players are), so 9PM PST...tomorrow.  /headexplodes

I have the week off and labor day off, so 10 days of playing like a fiend.  I have about 10 friends starting up at the same time and we'll all be going nuts.

Oh.

Yeah.

I've played a lot of MMORPGs starting with EQ1 at release, and the way I summarize GW2 is that, it brings the fun back to MMORPGs.  In a big freaking way.

August 24, 2012 5:55:18 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I hate this multiple server thingy, makes it hard to get all your buddies on the same server.

Well, I might go Tarnished Coast with you folks. If you have me. I'll start promoting that server in my gaming buddies, instead of Jade Quarry.

Oh and my TS is free for us to use for chit chat (ts58.light-speed.com:4295) . I should be playing tonight and most of the weekend.

Currently there is a sub channel for it, but more than likely I will be restructuring the channels this weekend. So get on, so I can here yall bitch about feeding....oh wait...wrong game 

August 24, 2012 9:02:44 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

pacov now wishes he signed up for the early access.  Ah well.  $48 bucks anyway....

August 24, 2012 1:17:53 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'll probably join you guys on Tarnished Coast, I guess.

August 25, 2012 12:50:25 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The servers are filling up fast lol. Jade Quarry is full 30 min into release.

August 25, 2012 1:16:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I joined Tarnished Coast. Currently playing an Asura Engineer. Honestly, I'm not liking this character as much as my Charr Mesmer, who's storyline was much more engaging, and darker/less cartoonish. I may have to character hop a bit until I find a combo I enjoy. But fun game.

August 25, 2012 5:41:39 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting louist,
I joined Tarnished Coast. Currently playing an Asura Engineer. Honestly, I'm not liking this character as much as my Charr Mesmer, who's storyline was much more engaging, and darker/less cartoonish. I may have to character hop a bit until I find a combo I enjoy. But fun game.

pacov continues to grumble to himself about not being able to play until the 28th. 

August 25, 2012 5:55:08 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Holy damn are the U.S. servers getting ridiculously full.  Most of them are at maximum capacity and the rest are all at High capacity.  ArenaNet really needs to add more U.S. servers, fast.

August 25, 2012 6:02:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Lmao. The servers are going to be full before the game even officially releases.

August 25, 2012 6:48:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Man, I wish I was at home so that I could play.

I'm not surprised that its filling up - people are so sick of the old EQ style MMORPG.

August 25, 2012 10:05:51 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

How's the combat system working out?

I had EQ 10 years ago to play with my brother, and the combat system damn near killed me.  Word is I can aim and shoot/swing/etcetera, or be noob and select my target the homo old school way, but it's not enough to sell me.  I would be sold if I can block incoming fire by raising a shield, stuff like that.  Sadly, all the review sites seem to talk about are the ability combinations.

For me a game is all about the combat, don't really give a rip about the rest of the equation, so the standard MMO turns the stomach, being all frosting and no cake.

August 25, 2012 11:40:56 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

I'm in the process of canceling my $48 dollar order for the game to buy now and play immediately.  I do not think greenman gaming will sort their crap in time, so I might just be stuck.  Glad I was distracted by lol tonight anyway.... saving $12 is nice at any rate.

edit - i have the game downloading anyway

August 26, 2012 2:20:54 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Online diagnostics tests say my computer will run the game. I have been fooled into purchasing games based on passing diagnostics before only to have my laptop not cut it with the real thing.

Guild Wars 2 seems really appealing, is there a demo so I can check if my computer will hack it?

Othello

August 26, 2012 11:57:17 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

pacov got a refund on his pre-order that did not come with early access... I then bought the game directly and am online as pacov on tarnished coast.  I'll be on and off throughout the day - no idea how to do ANYTHING at this specific point... I'm a short guy with pointy ears and a necromancer... so there

August 26, 2012 6:19:06 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

You'll find me on Anvil Rock in the beginner areas for human characters since none of the other races really appeal to me.

Humans FTW!

August 26, 2012 9:25:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well, I've got my Scar Warrior to almost level 13. I'm enjoying it quite a bit. The storyline is more gripping than the other races I've tried so far (Asura and the plant people), and the skill challenges aren't as horribly hard or plain broken as those of the plant people. They have one jumping puzzle that takes forever, and is high enough to kill you if you miss a jump. I failed a dozen times before I gave up.

Some tips for pacov and others who didn't have the benefit of playing the betas:

The first 5 abilities are dictated by your weapons. Your main hand weapon gives you skills 1-3, and your off-hand 4 and 5. Two handed weapons dictate all 5. You unlock new ones after a certain number of kills with that weapon equipped, and it's usually a pretty low number. The same weapon will grant different abilities based on whether it's in your main hand or off hand. I also believe the same weapon has different skills for each class that can equip it. Likewise, you have an underwater weapon equipped which works the same way.

Inventory management: Clicking the options button in your inventory screen brings a very very useful option: Deposit Collectables, which sends all your crafting items to the bank. This is a huge help, as you'll pick up a lot of stuff.

Most of your XP will come from joining the events that happen everywhere. Simply being in the area is enough to get a minor reward, and usually hitting the creeps a few times will get you a full reward. Storyline missions are your other main source of XP. Monsters don't really give you a lot, though it adds up a little over time.

Gather gather gather! You don't have to choose a gathering profession, you can gather any wood, ore, or plant you see. So do yourself a huge favor, and pick up a copper pick, axe, and sickle. If you're collecting as you travel along, by the time you hit level 8 or 9, you'll likely have enough resources to gain a level or two just from crafting.

Inventory management: Clicking the options button in your inventory screen brings a very very useful option: Deposit Collectables, which sends all your crafting items to the bank. This is a huge help, as you'll pick up a lot of stuff.

When you open the map, you can hover over the merchant markers to see what they sell/what services they offer. You can also teleport to any checkpoints you've discovered for a small fee (usually just a few copper).

Hope that helps.

Oh, and there's no such thing as kill stealing. Everyone seems to get the same experience and chance of item drops, so feel free to go after creeps that someone else is already fighting.

August 27, 2012 1:18:22 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

We've all forgotten our name.number identities for some reason.  I'm SpardaSon.9834.

August 27, 2012 8:39:01 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

K - so help me out here - what exactly am I missing that makes this game stellar?  It plays like an mmo, but doesn't have a subscription fee.  At what point does it do something different?  Basically I've been going to and fro, doing the various quests that are offered, then receiving various rewards.  I really don't know what makes this all that different from something like starwars: tor.

August 27, 2012 10:28:24 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well, for starters, the world quests are somewhat random - and if the people around let a town get taken over there will instead be a fortified centaur camp or ghost infestation.  And the World vs World (which has three roughly equal servers battling it out where even the lowest level can help out). But as to the finer points (as I've only played a little at the moment) what do other people think?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000266   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+