Stardock.com ‚Äč

Goodbye Kindle. Looking Back, You Were Just OK.

By on August 19, 2012 3:18:00 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Othello

Join Date 02/2008
+8

So my second generation Kindle broke last month. Going to turn it on I see this diagonal dark grey line on what should be a blank screen. After an hour or so of soft and hard resets, after button combinations, internet scouring and smashing it on a table, I admitted and accepted that my Kindle, which has been there for years, is no more. It had always been a love hate relationship, providing me with a deluge of free content from manybooks.net and the Gutenberg Project, exposing me to authors and genres of literature I would not have discovered otherwise, while at the same time never engaging me as a traditional book would.

While at Barnes & Noble today I went to hold a Nook, like meeting an ex for a short fling, it made me realize that I'm sticking with a real book.

Othello

20 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 19, 2012 3:54:43 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I still read real books for reading books, but as an academic I also have to read a lot of PDFs. The Kindle is a life (and eye) saver for that.

August 23, 2012 12:33:09 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I want to buy an ebook reader...

However I wanted it one that IO can read in the dark...

Any suggestions?

August 23, 2012 12:41:18 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Solam,
Any suggestions?

Nexus 7.  Inexpensive enough that it won't break the bank, compatible with any format you can throw at it because you can download both the Kindle and Nook apps, along with others, and it functions extremely well as a full tablet experience, too.

August 23, 2012 4:17:33 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Thank you.

Sounds exactly like what I wanted to get

August 23, 2012 7:25:42 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I've found reading an e-book on anything other than e-ink an unpleasant experience. If you read to settle down for the night you may be interested in exploring the new studies which say using smart phones or tablets may lead to insomnia.

Othello

August 23, 2012 7:33:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

My 4th generation Kindle is what I do all my reading on.  Which is a bummer because I have a fairly nice library.

August 23, 2012 8:01:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I love my kindle. I thought I would be a hold out for good old hard copy but I changed my tune after about an hour of using my first kindle...

August 24, 2012 1:52:07 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Personally I use both. Ereaders don't do well in heat and my job involves heat for a good portion of the year(UPS Driver in Phoenix Arizona) so a traditional book does better.

August 24, 2012 10:10:06 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If you like Kindles and want one lighted lighted, I highly recommend this cover: http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Kindle-Touch-Lighted-Leather/dp/B004SD2562/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1345817166&sr=8-7&keywords=kindle+book+cover+with+light

I have it on my Kindle Touch 3g and love, love, love it. It uses the kindles own battery to run the battery. No switch on the light, just flip it up and as long as the kindle is powered on, the light comes on. It is a LED light, and the is setup just about perfect.

Ok, sales pitch over.

August 24, 2012 10:12:35 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Leo...

My wife's eyesight is such that the font she uses flattens a Kindle battery in a day...so many page turns...so adding a light is definitely a no go...

August 24, 2012 12:09:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Jafo,
Leo...

My wife's eyesight is such that the font she uses flattens a Kindle battery in a day...so many page turns...so adding a light is definitely a no go...

Ah, bummer. Does she turn off the wifi/3g connection while reading? That actually increases battery life significantly.

August 24, 2012 12:28:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I love my kindle so much, that now I wouldn't know what to do without one.  Best invention ever, real books are faulty, never did work right.

August 24, 2012 12:32:47 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Kindle's battery drain is specific to screen rewrites.  Nothing flattens it more than page turning....and when you are limited to a dozen or two words to a page that becomes a LOT of page turns.

Unlike iPads, etc there's no current as such needed to show an image...only to change it....

A DX is supposed to last about 3 weeks or so normally.... Terry can flatten it in a day...

She's also a fast/prolific reader.  The 132 lineal feet of bookshelf attests to that...

August 26, 2012 2:33:30 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
My 4th generation Kindle is what I do all my reading on.  Which is a bummer because I have a fairly nice library.

I'm a musician and art dealer by profession. I often attend auctions. I've seen fake Renoir's go for thousands, I've seen a pristine 500 piece Waterford Crystal set go for $50, books and book collections often come up and I doubt half of them have their first pages read.

A great aspect of the Kindle is that people don't feel compelled to fill it with literature they wont read. I read over 70 percent of the books on my kindle and the rest were pending deletion.

Quoting Tattyhat,
I love my kindle so much, that now I wouldn't know what to do without one.  Best invention ever, real books are faulty, never did work right.

Even though I may not buy another Kindle, I feel you can't argue how the Kindle has reinvigorated interest in literature and has given an audience to many up-in-coming authors. But to say real books never did work right...try the English translations...

Othello

August 26, 2012 9:01:39 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Who's this other Leo..........There's only one 

I read a lot and as much as I'd love one of these e-readers.........The public library in Denver is still my choice

August 27, 2012 6:04:45 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Leo the Lion,
Who's this other Leo..........There's only one 

I read a lot and as much as I'd love one of these e-readers.........The public library in Denver is still my choice

Has the Tattered Cover Book Store survived ebooks?

Othello

August 27, 2012 11:06:52 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Othello,

Quoting Leo the Lion, reply 16Who's this other Leo..........There's only one 

Has the Tattered Cover Book Store survived ebooks?

Othello

So you know Denver!.........Yes, the store was thriving last time I was in there. Great place 

August 31, 2012 8:13:25 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

I think my kindle is good. i have not facing any problem yet.

October 16, 2012 12:29:11 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I'm getting the Kindle glow for xmas.

I wonder if anybody ever tried it&? and how they like-dislike it,...

October 28, 2012 7:01:18 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I swear by my kindle. Its a life saver.

Now if only computer screens were colour E-Ink. (not that joke of a kindle fire effort)

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000250   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+